"The Biggest Loser" on tv... can we talk....

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

"The Biggest Loser" on tv... can we talk....

Postby fedup » October 27th, 2004, 11:04 am

Alright... I think we needed to have a discussion about this "lovely" show. So anyone who sees this thread and has an opinion, please jump in. I'll try not to rant too much here, but it's hard...
First of all, they KICK OFF the person not losing as much???? (talk about kicking them when they're down!) Then, we must have a cardiologist getting kickbacks from the ratings or something... 'cause why would they be pushing people with this range of weight issue to work out like DEMONS!

I know "anything goes" on tv today, but am I being too sensitive here, or does it seem like this show goes out of it's way to humiliate overweight people, and to belittle and desensitize viewers to the very real problems of obesity... I've seen a couple posts about this, so figured maybe others out there could vent a little, and/or give opinions...
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby explorthis » October 27th, 2004, 11:31 am

Love to…… However, this is a vent/opinion so, don’t shoot the messenger.

this show goes out of it's way to humiliate overweight people

First of all, yes it is humiliating to overweight people. Secondly, my guess is most of the human population would (I am included in this) would do a dance on television for $250,000. That is two-hundred-fifty-thousand dollars. I have a pretty thick skin, being fat my entire life; I know what the consensus is on the feelings of fat people, taking ridiculing my ENTIRE life in one way or another. I was fat; I took the brunt of the jokes. There was no one to blame, not my Mom, not my Dad, or my thyroid, just Mike. So now that we know it’s my fault, and I chose (choose?) NOT to do anything about it, I sucked it in (literally) and grew a very thick callous. Now with this callous, I would gladly go on national television and try 2 things: 1) to lose the weight. Hey they are paying me room/board/professional training/a ton of perks (these folks are getting paid to dance around on national TV – win or lose) and whatever else they chose to toss in. 2) the opportunity to win $250K. I am a gambler by nature, as most humans are, and this would be in a lot of people’s minds. I would. MY OPINION.

Now as far as voting off the person (woman) that did not lose as much, and while they were down? THIS IS A GAME. They are not in it for friendship. Anyone watch Survivor? Same thing, IT IS A GAME. Your goal is to win THE GAME, at any cost. Pretty slim chance any of these folks will ever cross paths again after the show is over. I would easily have chosen the same person they all did (Lizzeth?!?!) Why? Cause she probably has less to lose, and we all know (don’t shoot the messenger) men lose faster.

My family watches it (both episodes thus far) and, being pretty common, I pose the question to my wife, “would you go on the show” No way is her reply, “would you” she asks, absolutely. Like on Fear Factor (anyone watch it?) Would you eat the “Fear Factor delicacies” they provide? Wife and teen = no way, Dad = always yes.

It is a GAME. I would be in it for one reason and one reason only – TO WIN!

By the way, did it make you mad when she was voted off? Well guess what, the TV producers got the expected rise out of you they wanted.

Will you watch it next week? Bet the answer is yes.

My .50 cents.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Carrie » October 27th, 2004, 11:41 am

LOL, I expected nothing less from our Mikey!

I haven't seen the show, but somehow making a 'game' out of this issue, doesn't sit well with me. But I guess you can find some people to sign up for anything, and people will watch.

I can well imagine Mike snarfing down all that disgusting stuff. Me? never happen. I also have a big issue with them eating live animals (worms, etc) I think it's inhumane and disrespectful. (Yes, even if you are a worm).

My .02

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby DivinePro » October 27th, 2004, 12:27 pm

I don't think it's fair for the loser to have to go home. Isn't the point of the show to help these people lead a healthier life? Why can't they stay and lose weight, just not be qualified for the money??

I guarantee, the ones who leave won't be nearly as motivated at home.

DP
Started 10/19/04
281/252/145
Total Lost: 29

Roommate:
206/185/165
Total Lost: 21
DivinePro
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby LongWay2go » October 27th, 2004, 12:30 pm

Spidey has a few thoughts on the subject!

1. If people wouldn't watch it, they wouldn't put it on TV!

2. If you don't want to watch and it upsets you, don't watch.

3. As "The Guid" said, some people will do anything for money. I don't happen to be one of them, but I do think this show is cruel not in the way it portrays fat people, but in the way it TREATS them (throwing all the goodies in their faces). That's show biz!!!

4. I personally don't agree with their weight loss method. I'm surprised none of them have had a heart attack with the way they push them.
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

the money

Postby krandle » October 27th, 2004, 7:16 pm

When i think about the episode last night, not one person mentioned the money. No one. It is all about the weight loss. That is what i got out of it.
It is embarassing to me too. But for some insane reason, it motivated me.
Because people would rather be infected with cancer or aids than be fat. No one wants to be fat. No one. But if it takes this to motivate them so be it.

bye
krandle

Re: the money

Postby BerkshireGrl » October 27th, 2004, 7:54 pm

krandle wrote:Because people would rather be infected with cancer or aids than be fat. No one wants to be fat. No one.

WHOA! Who? The contestants on this show? Skinny people the world over?

Speaking for myself, I'll take obesity any day over those choices!

Yeah, being fat sucks, but wow, that's some crazy talk. :shock: Plus it belittles two awful diseases that go way beyond "fat."
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby krandle » October 28th, 2004, 5:41 am

Hello
I am speaking from the impression people put me under. I know people who are in abusive relationships. Lousy jobs, can't find a mate and the list goes on and on. And these people would rather be that than fat like me any day. ANY DAY. And i am married and a stay at home mom. I honestly feel like i know what i am talking about.
krandle

Postby fedup » October 28th, 2004, 6:21 am

Wow!! Guess a lot of people do have opinions on this one!!

I know it's marketed as a 'game', and my main complaint isn't even about the game aspect for the personal contestants. I guess that's explained to them before hand. (Although I do feel major sympathy for the ones' who go home to probably gain even more weight since they weren't as "successful" as the others.) My main problem is the message it's sending out into viewer land. That weight loss IS just a game. That it's something "somewhat distasteful but still fascinating somehow." And the methods they use... the intense exercise, to some viewers who take tv as gospel, this probably encourages them to do this... hello cardiologist. And they never explain the physiology behind different people losing at different rates, muscle weighing more than fat, etc. I know I know,... if people wanted an informative dieting show they'd watch the "fact channels" not the network fluff show...

At heart, I know why the network made this show... who couldn't see that it'd be a success because it exploits people. I actually didn't watch the show, I was surfing and saw some of the end... I know most successful tv is based on shock tactics, so they'll make their money (producers), and people can turn it off if they choose (which I certainly will)... and I certainly don't "blame" the contestants for doing it. 250,000 is a BIG motivator ;) . It's just another sad example of more misinformation going out there about weight loss. That's my only point here. Oh well, that's my 2 cents! I guess this crap will always be peddled (and always has been!) as long as there are buyers.
Christy 5'5" age-34
Fresh start: Sept. 15, 2005 (240/ 240/ 160)
"Time to 'release the butterfly' inside
fedup
Trusted Member

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » October 28th, 2004, 11:08 am

Didn't see this show. But I'm of the same mindset as Nancy,

"there is no other forum, and there is only ONE LEOPARD WOMAN",

and,

WE are the Biggest Losers!!!

Camille
:goteam:
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » October 30th, 2004, 8:28 am

I haven't watched this show, my life has been hopping recently and I haven't been able to sit down and watch my favorite programs, much less add a new one! LOL
I'd love to chime in on this, though, so I'm going to have to watch the next episode if possible.
Without seeing it, in general I'd have to say that none of the contestants were forced to go on the program, and most likely, the producers had thousands of applicants clamoring for a spot on the show.
If it does demean obese people (again, I haven't seen it), we have no one to blame but the contestants. If producers had come up with "the next great idea" and gotten looks of horror and disgust from potential applicants when the feelers were put out, the show would never have been made.
I feel for those who are so desperate for help that they have to resort to being used for entertainment purposes, but they are the ones who put themselves in that situation, and all I can do in regards to it is decide how I'll react to it.
Now I HAVE to see this show! LOL

Susanna
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to The Weight Room