"____" as a Legal Snack - "Deleted Post"

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

"____" as a Legal Snack - "Deleted Post"

Postby StrivingSister » March 20th, 2006, 11:33 am

Hi Medifasters!

Well. I had originally posted an email regarding the use of "a product" as a legal snack and the response by the MF nutritionist. But, after reading Lauren's post that follows, I have decided to delete it. I do not want to be responsible for guiding anyone the wrong way or encouraging anyone to find excuses to deviate from the program. This program does work as it is! And really, I am not "desperate" to have any particular food so much that I can't wait a little longer. Best not to mess with a good thing!

The one thing I did find interesting was this portion of the MF nutritionist's response:

You also want to stay within the overall recommendations of carbohydrates and calories to achieve your weight loss goal. The recommendations are 80-85 grams of carbohydrates and 800-1000 calories. We advise that if you are having the crackers to not have a bar and the minestrone soup on the same day. The protein is a about a 1 to 1 ratio with the carbohydrates. The fat is relatively low, most Medifast meals have little or no fat in them.

I didn't know that it is not recommended to have a bar and the minestrone soup on the same day if you have the crackers!

Okay, keep shakin', and here's to everyone stickin' as written'!
Last edited by StrivingSister on March 20th, 2006, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 30-5'6 1/2"
Start: 2/18/06-5&1
Last Weigh-In: 9/19/06
3rd Mini: 50 by 7/30-Met 7/18!
4th Mini: 65 by 9/17-60.2
StrivingSister
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lauren » March 20th, 2006, 12:02 pm

Hey, Striving-

First, let me say, you're doing awesome, I saw the post about people totally taking notice of your weight loss! Congrats!

Now, here are my thoughts on your soy crisps email. And I know you didn't ask for our thoughts, and I know that this may not prove to be a popular post - so I hope you'll just take it with the kindness it was intended...

Several posters throughout the 18 weeks I've been on this diet have asked about replacement foods outside of MF or adding non-MF items to their daily intake. I really believe, as a general rule, we should not be trying to adjust or play with or redefine the parameters of the diet. Aside from a few oddities (like Dogma, I am pretty fine with having cucumber instead of pickles), this diet is perfect if you stick to it perfectly. I worry about all the people who try to cut corners or find new options, when, in reality, MF offers all the options you need.

The reason it concerns me is that many of us got into trouble because we have problems with portion size, and making smart choices. So, why not, just for the months you are on MF, why not just stick to it EXACTLY. No outside foods (except L&G), no crazy condiments that *may* be okay, no adjustments. Why not take this opportunity to stop making excuses and see the amazing results that would come if we STOP THINKING. This is our chance to NOT HAVE TO THINK ABOUT FOOD, let the experts do the thinking.

Obviously, Striving, this is not just to you, this is to the masses who are always trying to reach out for new food options that *may* work. Nancy will tell you a million times that these foods are here for us when we go on maintenance...so why not wait just a little longer?

I hope my two cents will help somebody - it's worked for me, it can work for you!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby ascicles » March 20th, 2006, 12:24 pm

Is this in regards to the medifast crackers? I was completely unaware that I shouldn't have a bar and the crackers on the same day.
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby StrivingSister » March 20th, 2006, 12:29 pm

I Think the no cracker rule applies if you have a bar AND minestrone soup on the same day. (The quote is Amy's exact words from her response).
Age 30-5'6 1/2"
Start: 2/18/06-5&1
Last Weigh-In: 9/19/06
3rd Mini: 50 by 7/30-Met 7/18!
4th Mini: 65 by 9/17-60.2
StrivingSister
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby ascicles » March 20th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Lauren wrote:Hey, Striving-

First, let me say, you're doing awesome, I saw the post about people totally taking notice of your weight loss! Congrats!

Now, here are my thoughts on your soy crisps email. And I know you didn't ask for our thoughts, and I know that this may not prove to be a popular post - so I hope you'll just take it with the kindness it was intended...

Several posters throughout the 18 weeks I've been on this diet have asked about replacement foods outside of MF or adding non-MF items to their daily intake. I really believe, as a general rule, we should not be trying to adjust or play with or redefine the parameters of the diet. Aside from a few oddities (like Dogma, I am pretty fine with having cucumber instead of pickles), this diet is perfect if you stick to it perfectly. I worry about all the people who try to cut corners or find new options, when, in reality, MF offers all the options you need.

The reason it concerns me is that many of us got into trouble because we have problems with portion size, and making smart choices. So, why not, just for the months you are on MF, why not just stick to it EXACTLY. No outside foods (except L&G), no crazy condiments that *may* be okay, no adjustments. Why not take this opportunity to stop making excuses and see the amazing results that would come if we STOP THINKING. This is our chance to NOT HAVE TO THINK ABOUT FOOD, let the experts do the thinking.

Obviously, Striving, this is not just to you, this is to the masses who are always trying to reach out for new food options that *may* work. Nancy will tell you a million times that these foods are here for us when we go on maintenance...so why not wait just a little longer?

I hope my two cents will help somebody - it's worked for me, it can work for you!

Lauren

I'm fine when it comes to the medifast meals, but when I am looking at my lean and green, I have a lot of questions. It isn't so much about trying to find a way around the system, it has more to do with finding things that work for me. Things like the shirataki noodles are something that I thought could work in place of pasta. I don't see the harm in checking to see if it is allowed, because quite frankly, the Quick Start Guide leaves a lot of questions.

Asking about things like condiments that MAY be allowed, at least for me, have less to do with trying to find workarounds, and have more to do with clarifying things from the booklet that don't give a complete answer.
ascicles

Postby ascicles » March 20th, 2006, 12:31 pm

StrivingSister wrote:I Think the no cracker rule applies if you have a bar AND minestrone soup on the same day. (The quote is Amy's exact words from her response).

Ahhh, that works then. I tend to eat a pack of crackers with some bouillon every day, but I also enjoy a bar for my lunch. Thankfully, I don't like the minestrone soup, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I guess the potatoes and carrot pieces add a little more carbs to that particular soup.
ascicles

Postby Lauren » March 20th, 2006, 12:41 pm

Ascicles...I totally think it's great to clarify what the guide says, and you know I've responded to many of your and others' questions about food choices. I was specifically talking to/about certain folks (over the last few months, not specifically recently) who did seem to be trying to make some concessions, and cut some corners.

No biggie, it was just my opinion on how to best achieve results in the quickest way...

You are doing great, and your questions have been helpful to many people on the program!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Arklahoma » March 31st, 2006, 1:13 am

Just wanted to comment that I am on week six and was also unaware of this recommendation to not have crackers, bars, and minestrone all in the same day. I always have one bar per day and I always have one pkg of crackers per day with one of my soups. I do have minestrone 2-3 times per week and have not had any issues.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Dayna » March 31st, 2006, 1:11 pm

Personally, I have discovered that adding crackers slows my weightloss. When I has having crackers every day, my loss slowed to a crawl. When I ran out of crackers and was without them for a couple of weeks, my loss sped up. I got a new shipment, tried having the crackers again, loss slowed down again. FYI - I was usually eating crackers with the chicken&rice soup, and having a bar on the same day.

Soooo . . . I have made a new policy for myself. If I want a bar, no crackers. If I want crackers, no bar. My weightloss has now resumed at a rate I'm happy with.

Our bodies are so different. Since we live with our bodies every day, and know better than anyone else what it feels like inside our bodies, we are our first line of strategy/defense/whathaveyou. I noticed the program wasn't going as well, so I adjusted things (keeping all adjustments within the guidelines of the program, of course). So, when it comes to the cracker question, I think the most important thing to do is monitor yourself. If the numbers are still dropping away, then the crackers aren't a problem. If, like me, you see a change, you may want to make adjustments.

Just my thoughts on the matter. :mrgreen:

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Weight Loss