Taking the plunge....

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Taking the plunge....

Postby Lisa Renee » June 24th, 2005, 1:37 pm

Well, I am new here. My doctor had recommended me for gastric bypass earlier this year, however I would like to try Medifast first. This is the last diet I am going to try, period. If this doesn't work, thats it for me. I am 32 years old and I weigh around 370. I have about 220 to loose. Not impossible really, it's keeping it off that is the problem. I am going to ask my physician to supervise me, because I called all the listed physicians on the medifast website in Oklahoma, but everyone of them had stopped selling the product...wonder why...Anyway, I am looking for a support group here locally, but not having any luck finding one for medifast. Is this program that rare??? I feel a little stranded. I am willing to give support, but I also need it. I hope I am doing the right thing. Everything else I have tried has not worked, and I don't know if surgery is the right option for me. I would love to know more people locally that are on this program.
PS, where is the most affordable place to buy medifast?
God Bless
Lisa Renee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » June 24th, 2005, 1:56 pm

Strawberry, see that phone number up at the top of the forum page? Call it! That will get you hooked up with a Health Advisor who will guide you through the Take Shape For Life ordering process (which includes a substantial discount on your first order). He or she will also be there for you throughout the process, to answer questions and help you out in any way that you need help.

And as for support, this is THE place to be. Wander around the forums, and I think you will see that we all help each other out whenever we can, and it makes a big difference.

My best girlfriend started this Medifast program on Labor Day of last year at 363 pounds. As of the beginning of June, she was at 248 (she weighs once a month, so I won't know her new number for another week and a half), and she wants to get to 130.

You are not the only person here who is doing Medifast as a "last" effort before giving in to surgery. Avoiding surgery, and making yourself healthier this way, is a great goal, and you CAN do it. The first three or four days can be difficult as your body cleans out carbs and sugar overloads, but after that it becomes much easier, and you will see that people here sometimes even comment that they have to really make themselves get all of their MediMeals in in a given day (and you MUST have all of them -- no skipping!).

Try it. When I started I figured I'd try it for a month, 'cause I could do anything for a month. Once I was two weeks into it I was sure I was going to stick around for more than a month.

This works. It really does work.

Good luck to you.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Lisa Renee » June 24th, 2005, 3:41 pm

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad I found this site. Is this the official medifast forum? I just googled and found it. How much do you all spend per month doing the total plan, with a few 5 and 1s here and there?
Lisa Renee

Postby Lisa Renee » June 24th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Also, anyone know the difference between optifast and medifast?
Lisa Renee

Postby Sablebaby » June 24th, 2005, 4:29 pm

Hi Strawberry!

Glad you are thinking about joining us in great weight loss! I am on my 4th day so far and have lost 8 lbs. I come to this forum several times a day to keep me on track. It's a great place.

You asked about how much does a person pay on the full plan with a few 5 & 1's. Well, I figure it's around $350/month, or less depending on how many Lean and greens you have. Medifast costs the same no matter which website you buy it from. You will be directed to the take shape for life website. Unless you go to ebay or something, which I didn't find very useful myself.

Your other questions, no this isn't the official forum website. There are lots out there but this one seems to be the most active that I have found. Also, the difference that I hear between optifast and medifast is that medifast is a LOT cheaper and it tastes better. :D

Good luck and let us know how you are doing! :bounce:
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

Postby Lisa Renee » June 24th, 2005, 4:38 pm

ouch, I thought it to be around $250 a month..gonna have to really think this over. $250 is pushing it lol
Lisa Renee

Postby Sablebaby » June 24th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Well, I just spent $260 for a 3 week supply (plus some samples at $2.50 a pop). There are 7 packets in a box and they cost about $14 each (I round up to 15 as I drink the 70's). For a full fast you need 42 packets a week. So, you can play with the numbers. Trust me, I have a million times. It's cheaper to do the 5 & 1, but then you have to buy other food. Hope I totally didn't scare you away.

I just checked and the starter kit is $312 a month and that's for all 5 & 1. I guess if you call you can get $80 off a month supply of the starter kit.

Good luck!!!
Heather
Sablebaby
Trusted Member

Postby want2Bthin » June 24th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Strawberry-

Medifast is far from rare. Over 1,000,000 people have used it & it has been recommended by over 15,000 physicians.

I know it seems like alot of money to spend but it is so worth it! If you order the starter kit you get it for around $230 (that is with the free week offer). If you buy what you need seperate you can do it for well under $300.

I know you feel- I have thought about surgery in the past too. Thank goodness I didn't do it! It a little over 3 months I am down 43 pounds & rising! I hope you give this a try- you won't be sorry!

Angelia :D
want2Bthin

Postby mytime » June 25th, 2005, 5:21 am

Strawberry - I found MF at a local compound pharmacy. It is 13.66 per box. Not a huge difference but every penny helps. I was looking for a place to purchase it in case I ran out between shipments. Good luck to you and hope to see your posts ! Mytime
mytime
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby 24KaratGold » June 25th, 2005, 7:48 am

Don't forget, too, that if you set up an AutoShip through the Take Shape For Life website (meaning it ships automatically on the same day every month, but you can go ahead and change what items you are receiving) you get a discount. The first three months it is 5 percent, the next three months it is 8 percent, and after six months it is 12 percent. 12 percent is a lot! Plus anytime you order a case you get a 10 percent discount, and those discounts do accumulate, meaning that if you are in your first month and order a case you get a 15 percent total discount, and if you are in your seventh month it would be a 22 percent discount.

I was spending $50 a week or more just going out and grabbing something at lunch, so this was a wash or even better for me.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby AlexisClaire » June 25th, 2005, 9:59 am

Oh Strawberry you totally made the right choice! This program works, I never thought it would be so easy but all you do is drink your shakes and eat your bars and it just comes off!
Medifast is going to take the weight off AND leave you able to enjoy food once you hit goal. You're making the right decision!!
This forum is a great help, the people are knowledgable, friendly, and non-judgemental. You'll find a lot of help here.

Welcome to the forum and to Medifast! if you need someone to talk to feel free to send me an email :)

--Alexis--
Goodbye 250's!
Goodbye 240's!
Goodbye 230's!
YOU'RE NEXT 220'S!!!
I'm on my way to Onederland...
AlexisClaire
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby Lisa Renee » June 25th, 2005, 3:37 pm

:?: can i ask, how many ppl are at goal and have maintained for at least a year?

thanks
Lisa Renee

Postby Dean0408 » June 25th, 2005, 5:38 pm

Strawberry Shortcake wrote::?: can i ask, how many ppl are at goal and have maintained for at least a year?

thanks

That is a hard one to answer since it seems once people are at goal and maintaining for a while they drift away from the forum. Nancy and her hubby have of course maintained for a very long time.

I would say that of course some people go back to their old ways and regain their weight. That is their fault, not Medifast's.

Medifast contains no liquid hypnotist that enters your body through a shake and hypnotizes you into never wanting your favorite foods. What Medifast will do is provide information on how to change your eating habits and exercise habits so that by using control, you can maintain the weight loss that you worked so hard to achieve.

I have been at goal for almost two months now. I am enjoying my new flat stomached body too much to mess it up. I like the compliments, I like how I feel.........I like how I look. These things have become more important to me that pigging out and not exercising. Oh sure, I eat some things that I could not eat when on the plan, but I eat a lot less of it. I eat just to taste things.........I eat until I am no longer hungry........not untill I can't hold another bite. (which is how I used to eat)

I check my weight every day..........if I move up a pound, I make sure I eat less that day and exercise more. Also, keep drinking the water. It is beneficial in a whole lot of ways.

mytime: Nancy or Unca can probably answer this positively, but I do not think that the Medifast sold in drugstores is exactly the same formulation as the products you get from a health advisor. I forget where I read this, but I am sure I saw it somewhere.

Dean
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Lisa Renee » June 26th, 2005, 3:43 am

Goodness, thanks for all the info! This forum is a great place to start. One more question---are there any artificial sweetners in the meal replacements? I can't seem to google this...lol
Lisa Renee

Postby Pati2400 » June 26th, 2005, 8:07 am

I'm just a couple of days behind you. I just placed my first order and am now pacing in fromt of my door!

It was a hit to order, but believe me, I have paid much more in other places that had far less better support and results the people here have provided. JC cost me about $120 / week and had to drive 45 min to get there. The support ended up being a pert young enthusiastic gal I just loved but had no clue what I was facing.....

Look carefully at the join dates and results achieved by the wonderful folks on these forums and you will see real-time success and people like us who are a bit scared when they start out, concerned about making the right decision. Then POW--- success and full, strong commitment because they are getting results.

The diet industry in general thrives on our insecurities and weaknesses. It is more than refreshing to stumble on something really helping people instead of grabbing the money and running.

This may seem an expensive product, but the results are so fast and the momemtum built so great, I think we both made a very wise choice.

Of course, I may refute this entire commentary my first week with the Bannana Shake.....................Good luck. We can do this together... Pati the Newbie 2
Pati2400

Next

Return to The Weight Room