Any out there taking prednisone?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Any out there taking prednisone?

Postby neelybabe » February 6th, 2004, 12:48 pm

I have just discovered this site and just today placed my first order - I am so excited! :lol: I was wondering if any of you out there have had weight loss success while still taking the steroid medication prednisone? I have had to take it for the last 3 years. I have always been 80+ lbs overweight, and do not blame it on the prednisone; however, this drug is notorious for making it very difficult to lose weight and very easy to gain weight. It also tends to make one very puffy and bloated in appearance - my face looks like I inhaled a bicycle pump! Many of you may have seen Jerry Lewis during his last few telethons - he has been on it. Anyway, would love to hear from any of you that Medifast CAN work even for those of us forced to take this drug. Thanks and God Bless!
neelybabe

Postby Nancy » February 6th, 2004, 10:44 pm

Hi, Neal ~

Boy, Howdy! DO I ever know about Prednisone! I have been off and on Pred for three years for chronic urticaria. I was able to wean off of it after a year and then a few months later it flared up again BIG TIME so I had to go back on it nearly one year ago. In addition to the hives I am extremely allergic to cigarette smoke, dust, and mold so I am dependent upon the Pred if I want to breathe! Due to the fact that I have a new office mate and a housemate that smokes, I have had some major flare ups and it looks as if my dosage will not be reduced for a while. Drat!

Our protocol does not recommend using Medifast if one takes more than 20 mg of Prednisone daily. Have you checked with your doc?

I am here to tell you that it IS possible to lose weight while on Prednisone.

It DOES take diligence on your part to not gnaw in between meals – Pred causes the stomach to empty quickly so always take your med with food.

When I first started Medifasting, I reminded myself that since I had some food in my tummy that I was fueled up and therefore it was not yet time to eat more grub. Intellectually I am able to deal with the occasional hunger pang that may occur because I know that I am eating regularly and the food is good for me and provides all the nutrition I need.

I use the Medifast Plus Women’s Health drink in the morning and that is when I take the Prednisone. The Women’s Health drink has Super Citrimax™ and Medifiber™ which provides a feeling of stomach fullness a snort longer than the regular Medifast 55 (or Medifast 70, in your case). You may consider the Medifast Plus Appetite Suppression when you take your Prednisone in the early stages of Medifasting.

You're right about the Prednisone making your face and neck bloated. Mine has subsided considerably! Once you begin Medifasting and have the good nutrition it provides, perhaps some of your other health problems will be reduced or eliminated.

Good health to you! You'll soon be a loser, too!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Return to Weight Loss