Sunday 1pm, 6th feb

Join our weekly (Sunday) weigh in.

Postby LongWay2go » February 9th, 2005, 7:32 am

Happy Wednesday everyone, better late than never! Dropped sister off at the airport last night so I'm back! I actually did weigh in Sunday morning and drat it all, had only lost 2 pounds - that same two I'd put on the week before! I am back to 100% compliance though and hope to see better results this week!

~Spidey
08/06/2004
on hiatus until "Vic the Vac" goes away!

WARNING: Don't try this at home, kids...
Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby raederle » February 9th, 2005, 7:42 am

Take credit when credit's due, silly! You're headin' the right way! (And some of us who lost only 0.6 pounds would be verrrrrry pleased with a 2-pound loss--- grrrr!) Great job this week!!! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby LongWay2go » February 9th, 2005, 8:18 am

Yeah well, I have a mini-goal to hit the 100 pound club by the end of the month and that should have been done in November! I have struggled with the light-headedness problem for months and months and the only solution I've found is to eat "real" meat. The problem goes away immediately. I have a couple of theories about that though. One is that my foodie brain is causing that symptom in rebellion to the diet. The other, more likely, is that as best I recall, I did not have that problem before I started on the @$^@$^% meal bars so I suspect the sugar in them may have been causing the problem. I haven't honestly TRIED to go back to full-fast since I tossed all the meal bars, but I think I will as of today, just to see if that was indeed the problem. THAT I will keep you posted on! I know I have a low tolerance to sugar so that very well could have been the problem.

~Spidey
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby raederle » February 9th, 2005, 8:25 am

Interesting... it certainly makes sense that sugar sensitivity could be messing with you. Do you want to keep real meat in your diet, even if the dizziness goes away again on full fast? If you keep losin' with real meat, it might give you a nice way to break up the monotony as you lose the last of your weight to get to goal. Maybe when you hit the 100# mark on full fast you could switch back and see...?

Anywho, do keep us posted. I'd rather obsess about your weight than mine! (Been doin' *that* long enough...!) ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby LongWay2go » February 9th, 2005, 8:33 am

If I can do it without "real" meat, I'd rather go that journey because it would be faster. I still have about 150 pounds to go to reach goal. If I went cold turkey (no pun intended!) full-fast, I could do that in about 30 weeks so I'd be good by the end of the year, really. If I leave meat in my diet, then I'm looking at twice that to reach goal. Was I out of control or WHAT???

When I reach goal I will have lost a grand total of 300 pounds (50 pre-MF), and you can bank your money on this, I'll get there! If I have to hire Camille, Guido and LW as personal attendants - one way or another - I'll get there! ;)

~Spidey
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby Karen » February 9th, 2005, 8:50 am

two things.... one, I am diabetic and even the diabetic bars made my blood sugar shoot up... I am now off all diabetic meds and off the bars...blood sugar is stable 100-110 fasting.

two, my doctor says that studies show having the 5 and 1 as opposed to the strict fast really does not make a significant difference in weight loss. Also, if you have any blood sugar problems AT ALL, you should do the 5 and 1. The 5 and 1 should be 250-300 calories.
5'3 50 y/o Married
Started MF 11-08-04
Renewal experience 7-16-05
Karen
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby LongWay2go » February 9th, 2005, 9:27 am

I've never been diagnosed with anything blood sugar related, but honestly think I am hypo-glycemic. (Is that the right term?) When I eat anything with sugar I get REALLY tired immediately, there is no "rush" from the sugar. Having sleep apnea on top of that, I was nodding off all day every day before I took sugar out of my "diet". No such problems now, but I wonder if that sensitivity to sugar was what was causing the light-headed problem. We'll find out this week, won't we!

I know I was losing 5 pounds a week on shakes only and that dropped to 2-3 pounds per week when I added back in food. If I were "normal" sized, I might attribute that to being nearing goal, having lost 93 pounds. But with 150 pounds to goal to get to "normal" I can't see that it's possible that could be the case - at least for me in my situation. But I'm no nutritionist either! When I was on Opti-fast 5 and 1 I was doing 1200 calories a day and losing at this same rate.

~Spidey
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Low Blood Sugar

Postby Joan Roman » February 9th, 2005, 9:38 am

I have had low blood sugar my entire adult life. I have lost about nearly 150 pounds by doing just the shakes. I have kept all of that wieght off for 4 years...ok except a little Christmas splurge :oops: and I had absolutely no problems. And I lost it fast the bulk of the wieght in 6 months. I found the key with low blood sugar anyway is "shaking" regularly. It is most important not to wait too long between shakes. Keeping your sugar nice and level no big ups and downs is the real deal.

At 296 pounds I was out of control with eating. Not having to make food choices when I first started the plan really helped me. Then... success and a greater sense of control helped me feel ready when it was time to begin regular food again.

Of course, this is just my experience. And I have low blood sugar not high. But maybe it will be helpful to someone. :D

Happy Shakin and or Lean and Greenin!
Joan Roman
Trusted Member

Postby LongWay2go » February 9th, 2005, 9:43 am

Thanks Joan, that's very helpful and something I'll be better informed about next time I chat with my doctor. Much appreciated, and especially the advice about regular scheduling of shakes! I am bad about getting wrapped up in work and missing my shake schedule by an hour, sometimes two. Maybe I'll set a little alarm or something to keep me on schedule. I know LW is constantly saying that we need to shake on a regular schedule but now that I have a health reason, I'll try harder!

~Spidey
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby Nancy » February 9th, 2005, 4:02 pm

Gerald, your weight loss will not slow down appreciably on the 5 and 1....the results are very similar.

Like Joan, I chose the complete fast because I was out of control with food.

My doctor followed my entire progress (which is required for Full-Fasters)and I was tul blessed to have had minimal health problems, (other than the auto-immune situation and arthritis) in spite of my years of obesity. I was not diabetic.

It is truly needful for everyone to shake and eat on time - particularly for people with diabetes. People with diabetes MUST be on the 5 and 1; older adults as well.

The bars do have more carbs which translates to more sugar. Some people are better off having a bar only once or twice week . Some people not at all. People with diabetes do best to have a bar in the afternoon when exercise is involved.

At times I now have low blood sugars in the middle of the night and it nearly always results when I have gotten too busy and too lazy to eat on time...never skip meals!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby explorthis » February 9th, 2005, 4:34 pm

I started on the @$^@$^%

Good for you Spidey, we like compliance....

BTW - no swearing on this board...

NAAAAAAAAAAAANCY..............!
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby LongWay2go » February 9th, 2005, 4:36 pm

Thanks LW, that mirrors exactly what Karen said regarding the 5 and 1 so I guess I'd better get it in gear, eh?

~Spidey
08/06/2004

Euphoria may result!
Is this fun, or WHAT?!?
LongWay2go

Postby cplantho » February 9th, 2005, 4:49 pm

Good L**d, what does it take??? (shoving another medibar into explorthis' mouth)
Christy
301/273.2/199

Started Jan. 24, 2005
cplantho
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby raederle » February 9th, 2005, 5:42 pm

cplantho-- I'll hold Mike down while you shove in the medibars-- oh, and how about some medi-oatmeal cookies, too? That oughta keep him quiet! ;)
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
raederle

Postby explorthis » February 9th, 2005, 6:19 pm

That oughta keep him quiet!

Don't take much to keep a guy happy, just feed him....
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

PreviousNext

Return to Roll Call