Steak House Trauma

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Steak House Trauma

Postby Mickey » March 24th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Hey y'all! Day 5 half way down for me, and my boyfriend just asked me and my kids to join him for dinner tonight, AT A STEAK HOUSE!

What do I order? How do I know? It's gonna mess everything up :shock:

I am in a panic!!!
Mickey
5'3"

Mickey

Postby MusicalMomma » March 24th, 2006, 2:46 pm

Hey there Mickey...don't panic...we're here to help :) here's some tips...

Drink a full glass of water before you go. Take some DEEEEEP cleansing breaths and remind yourself that NOTHING tastes as good as thin feels!

A steak house is acutally a better place to go, IMHO. DO NOT be afraid to be "picky". I joke with the waiter/ess right away and say something like, "Hi, just so you know, I'm high maintenance, but it will show up in your tip!"

Depending on what you order, just let them know the meat must be plain, with non carb seasonings only and a garden salad with light dressing on the side NO CROUTONS. I even ask for an extra side salad in place of a potato...most of the time they're fine with that...that way you get ALL your green :) Dip your fork in the dressing and then take a bite of salad to cut down on the dressing. That way you get a little dressing on every bite and use a lot less dressing :)

Take small bites, chew them thoroughly and most of all...have a GREAT time!!!!
Last edited by MusicalMomma on March 24th, 2006, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby FORMOMMY » March 24th, 2006, 2:48 pm

First of all.....breathe......... :D

Don't panic - you can have 5 ounces of steak and either have a salad and ask for lite dressing on the side (or fat free if they have it). Or if they have steamed veggies on the menu, order that. Pass on the potato and bread and you will do fine.

I have been going out to restaurants and can usually find something that I can eat without going off the plan.

Enjoy your family and enjoy your night off from cooking!! :yes:
Michelle
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phil 4:13

Started 1/23/06
Recommitted 1/02/07
FORMOMMY
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » March 24th, 2006, 2:54 pm

A steakhouse is a GREAT place to go. They're used to people being picky about how they want their meat prepared. Just tell them right away that it is imperative that your meal be prepared without any extras.

Decide right away if you want a salad, or steamed veggies. I have a tendency to get the salad because you never know what they're gonna put on or in the veggies. I definitely agree with musical momma that you should dip your fork in the dressing and then the salad. That way you get a bit of dressing on each bite, but not drizzling it.

I usually get the pork chop, because they're sized closest to the 5oz allowed. Sometimes I get the petite steak or a simple chicken dish. I ALWAYS ask them to not even bring the potato out. And...look out for the bread!!! :uhuh: When I was new, I found myself absentmindedly buttering bread while telling a story. My co-workers looked at me like I'd grown a second head and I threw the bread!

You'll do GREAT! I eat in restaurants several times a week (since I travel), just be careful!

DeDe
dede4wd

Oh...

Postby dede4wd » March 24th, 2006, 2:57 pm

And sometimes, I ask for a "to go" box immediately as the meal comes. That way I can put half of it in the box and take it home. That way, it's out of my sight and I can't just be enjoying myself talking and hanging out...next thing I know the whole meal is gone! It's the way I control my portion sizes. Now...I can't believe HOW MUCH FOOD they put in front of people, no wonder so much of America is fat!

Plus, that way I get a restaurant meal for tomorrow too!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Mickey » March 24th, 2006, 2:57 pm

Thanks, y'all!! That puts my mind at ease.

The place we're going has a great salad bar. Can I have "extras" like cucumbers and tomatoes or carrots? What about cheese or raisins?

Also, can I have a salad AND steamed veggies? What kind of steamed veggies? We can't have just any 'ol veggies can we?

Sorry about the questions :oops:
Mickey
5'3"

Mickey

Postby DogMa » March 24th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Cucumbers and tomatoes are fine, carrots are not. Raisins and cheese, definitely not.

Most steamed veggies are fine, because they won't be starchy. No carrots, of course. But broccoli, squash and green beans are fine. Or asparagus, if they have it, is also good.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Unca_Tim » March 24th, 2006, 4:08 pm

Salad OR veggies....not both.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby ToyDiva » March 25th, 2006, 6:05 am

Hi Mickey,

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday to help. You definitely received some great advice. When you go out, maybe take a copy of the allowed vegetables with you so you know for sure what you can eat and the amounts. You can also buy the MF salad dressing to take with you because they are already to go in little packets.

I hope you had a good meal!!!
Started 02/21/6

ToyDiva
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » March 25th, 2006, 8:49 am

How did it go? I'm sure you did great and had a nice break from cooking and I'm proud of you in advance!

DeDe
dede4wd

Postby Arklahoma » March 25th, 2006, 5:13 pm

Mickey ... Come on and spill the beans. I'm dying to know how it went. I'm considering going to a steak house on my birthday soon and am curious to know how you handled the situation.
Arklahoma

Postby DogMa » March 25th, 2006, 6:11 pm

I just went a couple of days ago, Arklahoma. It's really one of the easiest options. They even listed the weights of the steaks (precooked, but it gives you an idea of the size). Got a steak with no butter/oil on it, plus veggies on the side (again, no butter) and a small salad (I know, we're not supposed to have both; sue me) with dressing on the side and no cheese or croutons. Delicious and very satisfying!!
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Arklahoma » March 25th, 2006, 6:26 pm

Thanks, DogMa ... I was considering outback steakhouse or red lobster. For some reason, I'm having thoughts of shrimp cocktail. I wonder if that's allowed? You could be right. I may do better at the steak place. Thanks for the tips!
Arklahoma

Postby DogMa » March 25th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Well, the one big problem with shrimp cocktail is the cocktail sauce, which is full of sugar. If you're really in the mood, I'd suggest getting the shrimp at home and making your own cocktail sauce (you can make a good one with sugar-free ketchup and horseradish).

But Red Lobster has some other options. I like their grilled or baked tilapia with a side of veggies.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Arklahoma » March 25th, 2006, 9:17 pm

DogMa ... Thanks for the tips. I knew it was too good to be true.
Arklahoma

Return to Come on in.