To start or no to start..........

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

To start or no to start..........

Postby Guest » February 19th, 2007, 7:10 pm

I am just beginning MF for the first time. I have the last 25 stubborn pounds to go. I know I have 2 events in early March, that I know I will break the MF program for those nights. In your experience, should I just wait until I can dedicate 30 straight days? How bad would it be to break it one night - with booze and food.

Postby MerryMary » February 19th, 2007, 7:55 pm

I started MF before Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays ... I was not 100% compliant during the holidays themselves but I managed to maintain the weight I did loose before Thanksgiving and then again before Christmas--but I did not loose weight when I was not compliant! I went off plan, but I remained disciplined--in other words, I did not binge and was sensible in my food choices and had only one glass of wine with dinner on Thanksgiving and Christmas. This was a good choice for me because I began the new year already having lost weight rather than having even more weight to loose--I started with having over 100 lbs to loose.

I think you have to weigh all your factors and do what is best for you. You have only 25 lbs to loose which shouldn't take too long if you are compliant. Since your engagements are not that long off it may be best for you to begin MF when you are ready to fully commit to the program. But again, this has to be your choice.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :D

Mary
MARY
Started MF 11/6/06; reached goal 9/27/07.
MerryMary
Preferred Member - #110 Club
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby bikipatra » February 19th, 2007, 7:59 pm

I agree with Mary. Why start with planned reservations and outs? Do it when you can commit to complete compliance. The easier, softer way.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Serendipity » February 20th, 2007, 4:00 am

No better time than the present. Who knows.....you just may change your mind about going off plan. I started just before Thanksgiving and stayed compliant through Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentines day, Easter, vacations (including a cruise) etc.etc.etc. It's not hard when you make the choice. But even if you decide to go off plan, you'll still have some loss under your belt and you'll be ahead.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Arghh! » February 20th, 2007, 6:45 am

Putting off weight loss is like putting off the rest of your life. Start now and take it a day at a time. You never know what you'll accomplish until you start.
Arghh!
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Tawanda » February 20th, 2007, 7:32 am

Today, tomorrow, the next day, the next week, the next month.......all are going to happen whether we are following program or not. It depends on where you want to be in the next months and if you are ready to start. Best wishes for you in whatever you decide! :)
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Lizabette » February 20th, 2007, 6:02 pm

Serendipity wrote:No better time than the present. Who knows.....you just may change your mind about going off plan. But even if you decide to go off plan, you'll still have some loss under your belt and you'll be ahead.

I'm with JO on this one! There will always be something coming up,
At least you will be more aware of what you eat and you may eat & drink less than you would otherwise.
You'll definitely be ahead of the game, either way!
Have a good time and plan to jump right back on!
:heart:
Lizabette :heart:
195/135 - Reached goal, Aug. 31, '06
Lizabette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby WhoDey » February 21st, 2007, 8:30 am

Totally agree with the why wait statements...I started in October and went through Thanksgiving and Christmas and was able to stick with it...you can almost always find something to eat even at events and once you start losing the weight it seems to keep you motivated and makes it easier to stick with it.

Never a better time to start than right away, I wouldn't be where I am right now had I waited until after Thanksgiving and Christmas....just my opinion.
~Amy~
Start Date: October 1, 2006

WhoDey
Regular Member - #70 Club

Postby Nancy » February 21st, 2007, 9:26 am

There’s no time like the present…

The only certain thing we have is today, right now…

I used to live my life waiting for tomorrows…for Mondays…. I could do a lot of foody damage waiting for my Mondays to come and then kept putting them off until a more convenient time. Then one day I awakened and discovered I was morbidly obese; once I was ready to begin the program, Monday couldn't come fast enough.

…do the things today that will improve your tomorrows…you can be healthier and happier in just a few weeks and find that you feel so good and are truly empowered to stick to your program…if you’ve had a glass or two of wine before, you know how it tastes and it will still be available in a couple of months when you are at your goal.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Hi Nancy

Postby Porky34 » February 21st, 2007, 10:28 am

Nancy, i just wanted you to know how "encouraging" your reply was to me. I just started this morning even though my product came yesterday...i was gonna wait until Monday. I guess i was doing that "put'n it off" thing you were talking about, but then decided why wait just DO IT and i have..lol!

Love,
Chynna
Porky34

Postby Nancy » February 21st, 2007, 2:43 pm

Woo hoo! Let's fight that flab together!

Too many tomorrows can spell disaster for some of us, Little Darlin'.

This getting healthier and thinner stuff is not easy. Our foody habits are ingrained in us and it takes a conscious decision and intense effort to make the changes necessary to get to a healthy weight. Please know, we are right here with you. Soon you will be porky-less and you will be so glad that you started today.

There will be many special events ahead - heck, in my former foodier life I could make pulling weeds a special event and celebrate with a bag of tater chips and frosty mug of beer.

Remember, the special March events that you've got marked on your calendar are not celebrations of food and wine, they are celebrations of people - focus on that when the time comes to gather with your friends/family - have fun, love being together, hang on every word - not every foody morsel. The fattening grub will always be there but there will come a time when overweight people will not be around or will not be able to fully enjoy being there because of health issues that may prevent them from having a super quality of life. When I was a chubbette living in Chubbabubbaland, I felt conspicuous, my clothes were tight, I was crammed into super tight elastic fannyhose that made me feel miserable and gave me gas - I had to fight all night long from tooting and blowing people off their chairs. It was not fun being at special events - I loathed going to them now I love it! It's a blast and not from having tight fannyhose!

The first week is VITAL to your long-term success - do all you can to stick exactly to your schedule and to NOT cheat. You’ll want to but don’t even consider it. Remember, you CAN do anything for three hours. That’s all it takes – a three hour commitment to your self. You are worth three hours, aren’t you?
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby DogMa » February 22nd, 2007, 1:13 pm

I'm with just about everyone else. Although I would say if it was RIGHT before some big event, like your birthday or a wedding or vacation or something, I'd wait a few days and start after. I think it helps to start with a quiet week, so you can get in the groove before any major challenges.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.