Scarlet2507

1 Thread per registered User.

Scarlet2507

Postby scarlet2507 » July 21st, 2008, 2:30 pm

Where to begin? Probably the beginning... I wasn't a fat kid. Well, let me rephrase... I wasn't a fat single-digit kid... haha.

I didn't start having problems with my weight until the summer of my 5th grade... isn't that weird that I can succinctly remember? I went through a traumatic haircut (can you believe that could trigger a food addiction? who knew?) I know it sounds silly but I was horrified that my mom took me to the hairdresser and chopped my hair off, boy-style... this coming from a girl that had hair below her butt!! I think that's when I began eating as a comfort. Not until real recently would I even admit to having any sort of food problem.... blaming everything else, except myself. 4 cruises in 5 years with my family after the haircut, well, you get the deal... everyone knows you indulge when you cruise, and boy did I.

My mom became really sick when I was in my soph/junior summer, almost near death. As a way to cope with her sickness, I ate. And everyone fed me. It's the way my family is... feed someone until it doesn't hurt anymore. I ballooned to about 250 lbs by the time I graduated high school. I believed I carried my weight well, because "no one" had a clue as to how much I really weighed, or so I chose to believe.

I kept steady with that weight, thinking I was happy with myself, when my dad died in a work-related accident. Ah, this is where I get the "poor you's" from everyone... your mom is bedridden with lupus, and your dad was electrocuted... you poor thing... let's comfort you with food. I refused to listen to the poor me's if and only because most people have crosses to bear, and most people lose their parents, it just happened when I was younger. Little did I know then, that my dad's death would trigger my somewhat dormant food addiction, and I guess rightfully so. I ate everything... anything anyone wanted to give me. 3 months after his death, at age 21, I weighed my heaviest at the time being 296 pounds. I was horrified. My younger brother was equally horrified as he saw the scale, I weighing more than him, and my embarrassment. I decided I needed to get thin by any means.

This meant unprescribed diet pills, starving myself, and just being really unhealthy. I'm a tax accountant, so I did all of this around tax season, when people wouldn't see how badly I was treating my body. I dropped 40 pounds, was back into my 16 jeans, and thrilled. I managed to keep that weight off for about 2 years (even though I have no idea how I did it!). Then in April 2006, we lost my mother, and I found myself in that same spiral of food. Eating when I wasn't hungry, eating late because I couldn't sleep, eating a lot, then going a day or two with nothing. I've been a nightmare, and only now can I take responsibility for what I've done to my 26 year old body.

I've tried everything and anything, as i'm sure most people do before getting on track. I refuse to go back into 20 jeans, therefore I've been bursting out of my 18 super stretchy jeans, and I've gotten rolls that have seemingly popped out of nowhere!! As I write this, I find myself at the highest weight I've ever been, and never thought I would get there... 307 pounds. It's ridiculous that i'm that heavy, in my eyes. I know most people have that one moment that it just clicks... I have one as well. I went to the DMV to renew my ID and I could not believe how fat my face was. I was truly horrified. Either I'm a great picture taker at home, or I've been in denial, which I'm sure it's the denial part!! So I came home, did some research and found medifast. I'm hoping with my whole heart it will help me re-establish a healthy relationship with food, and not use it as a crutch.

Hopefully you will read as I update my progress... and I swear, no more sob stories!! Only good stuff from here on out!! I placed my order on Saturday, so hopefully I will be back with an update a little later this week or early next.

Thanks so much for reading!!
scarlet2507
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby rodeomom » July 21st, 2008, 4:05 pm

Hi,

I left a note for you in your other thread, but I wanted to let you know that we are all here for you! You will have some sad stories to tell now and then and that is okay. If we don't go through sad times, how would we know when we are going through the good times?

There is no way possible that this program can fail unless you fail it. Follow the program to the letter and you WILL lose weight.

Shake, shake, shake...shake your bootay...

You can do this!!
09/21/07 - 12/21/07 Lost 80 Pounds Ankle Surgery 12-21-07
rodeomom
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby katesmom » July 21st, 2008, 7:19 pm

Hello and Welcome !
Rodeo has some great advice and is a wonderful support here...I too,am in the 300 lb club but not for long ! I re-started a week ago and feel great about my decision. Being here makes all the difference in the world, and we all know how you are feeling, even though we aren't you ! We are all suffering from food addictions for whatever reason, and try and help one another lead a healthier life !
You'll find that you'll rely on the support when you need it most and share with others in their journals !

Good Luck and Nice to meet you ! :D
356/331/150
Started 7/24/10
Can't wait to WIN this race !!
katesmom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby BiggerInTexas » July 21st, 2008, 7:35 pm

Hi! Welcome to the program! You've made a great choice and we're all here to cheer you on! :D
BiggerInTexas
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby scarlet2507 » July 22nd, 2008, 6:08 am

Thanks again, guys!! I'm feeling super positive about this whole experience!! Should be able to start on Thursday!! Yippee!
scarlet2507

Postby hulagirlfromhawaii » July 22nd, 2008, 11:13 am

Welcome to the forum Scarlet. You will find the support you need here to get you through the rough spots. We are all here for you!:wave:

Aloha!

Kanani
Kanani

165/146.5/125
hulagirlfromhawaii
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby JenPearson » July 22nd, 2008, 11:26 am

It seriously will work for you if you just stick to it, which isn't too hard. Riding the emotional waves without the food will be the hardest part, so plan on finding something you can use as support. I've moved to Celestial Seasonings tea as a safety blanket. -oh, and lots and lots of gambling. (just kidding!)
kicking the carb addiction

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgxNLgQ/]
[/url]
JenPearson

Postby Mike » July 22nd, 2008, 8:59 pm

Welcome Scarlet. ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby scarlet2507 » July 23rd, 2008, 11:09 am

Thanks guys for all the support!! It really is so heartwarming... makes me all fuzzy all inside... haha!

Soooo, this is my last day of my old life, as I like to call it. I don't know if many of you have found yourself looking at that last day of your old habits as I am. It's weird... my boyfriend and I are going to our favorite place to eat tonight, because my Medifast is coming later today... again, I might mention I'm a bit excited. I'm going to eat what I think is my normal meal for the last time tonight.

It's funny because my excitement towards this has made people around me interested in the plan. My brother and sister-in-law are both wanting to lose weight, so I'm hoping that by seeing my success, they will pony up the money to buy the 4 week plan. I've explained to them that, for me, this will probably end up being cheaper than how I've been eating!!

I've been reading all the fun recipes in the Lean Cuisine program, and it's amazing how innovative all of you are!!! Thanks in advance for the help! The only real issue I see myself encountering is my boyfriend's wary nature of this program. He thinks I'm crazy and being too extremist. It's hard to explain it to him, when he's close to 6ft and 180 pounds, you know? I think if he were heavier or just plain fat, he'd understand much more about food addiction and how difficult it is to just "eat right and exercise". Easier said than done, my love. He's very caring, it's just that he doesn't want me to hurt myself in the process. I know that once he sees how much better I feel and act, he'll be 110% supportive... he's just leery right now.... but I force his thoughts outta my head, and am getting on track with Medifast. I can't wait!!
scarlet2507

Postby DogMa » July 23rd, 2008, 12:04 pm

You won't be hurting yourself on the program. On the contrary. I not only lost the weight when nothing else worked, I learned to have a healthier relationship with food (I'm still working on that one a little) AND started exercising daily, so that now, at 46, I'm the healthiest and fittest I've ever been in my life. People who have never been overweight, or even who haven't been overweight for most of their lives, just don't understand.

And you'll definitely have other people wanting to try the program once they see your success. Unfortunately, not all will have your commitment and will do as well (I had one friend start shortly after me, and after trying for two or three months and never getting through more than one day on the plan, she quit and sent me all her products; my cousin wanted to try it, but she's a vegetarian, which is possible but very limiting because a lot of seemingly veggie products like the broccoli soup actually have animal products in them). But one of the best motivators can be seeing how you're inspiring other people in your life to lose weight and get healthy, too.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby SharonR » July 23rd, 2008, 1:59 pm

Good Luck, Sweetie! You will get there! One day at a time, one hour at a time, sometimes very minute at a time. We are here for you and can relate more than you know!
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby rodeomom » July 23rd, 2008, 3:13 pm

Your boyfriend is sweet to be concerned. He needs to see all the research that has been done on this program. I mean, really... it is even Johns Hopkins approved and they don't go around putting their name on just anything.

I like to say that the program is a method to help you get healthy; the weight loss is just a side effect of getting healthy.
rodeomom

Postby Mike » July 23rd, 2008, 9:33 pm

Well put Bren,

There is a ton of research out there (true scientific studies.... other programs can't boast that). You have chosen the right path, now all ya gotta do is walk it.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby scarlet2507 » July 24th, 2008, 6:23 am

Ahh. my first medifast meal is finished! I was concerned when I read how some are better than others... the french vanilla shake I just had wasn't too shabby at all! I was pleasantly surprised!!

First new meal of the rest of my life! And I liked it, which is a total plus!! :) And I feel super full... now, I don't know if that's because I gulped it down so quickly or what, but I'll take it!

I cleaned out most of the junk in the house, if there would be any temptation, but there really isn't. From the day I bought the medifast, I've been curbing my appetite in anticipation for these meals. I only ate half a cheesesteak and some fries the other day, last night, same thing. Only ate half of what I would or could normally consume. When I weighed this morning, I was at 306.4, so that's what I'm going to use as my starter weight.

Can anyone enlighten me as to how to get those beautiful tickers on the signature that you guys have? I know there has to be a code somewhere, but I haven't found it. Maybe I'll search for it a little while I have a break. I'm sure I'll be back later to discuss the rest of the day!! Yippee!! One down, 4 more to go!
scarlet2507

Postby rodeomom » July 24th, 2008, 6:43 am

Most of us have our tickers from The Ticker Factory. Use the web address on someone's ticker and follow the directions - it is pretty user friendly. When you get to the end copy the :img: address and paste it into your signature.

You are rockin now. Making good decisions and on the right track!

One thing you might want to try is to drink or consume your MF supplements slowly. Try to make them last 15 minutes if you can. I do this by alternating the supplement and a drink of water. This will help teach you to savor your meals and wait for your mind to catch up with your stomach to tell you that you are full. This is so important to learn now so you are in the habit of going slow when you transition and go into maintanance.
rodeomom

Next

Return to My Journal