Sabotuers and Naysayers, Anyone have this problem??

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Postby TheShadow » July 21st, 2006, 3:41 pm

Bravo!!! to VT and Fluffy!

Excellent Rants!!! You guys have the attitude and we'll just thumb our noses at the naysayers when we're healthy and they are not. Remember, we're the ones who are doing something about our issues, they are just sitting around pointing fingers. Some people mean well, but they just don't understand how undermining they are. I think in the future I will gently point out that fact to them. I believe I will actually say "I know you mean well, and I'm sure you have my best interest at heart (yeah right!), but that type of comment is hurtful and undermining to my success."
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Aerie » July 21st, 2006, 6:39 pm

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.
Aerie
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » July 21st, 2006, 8:58 pm

Hi,
I LOVED all the responses to this post! I don't worry about what people say. I know I've felt better than I have in years, I have NOT lost any muscle, I am giving up my old fat clothes because I am NOT going back and I'm just going to quietly prove them all wrong! This quote is one I really relate to....

i think it is easy to say something could be dangerous rather than "I couldn't do that."

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Rachel » July 22nd, 2006, 12:25 am

Lauren wrote:Ha! Rachel, meet Ascicles, our resident tell it like it is, no sweetening up, no b.s., manly man. Ascicles does not like to be buttered up. He does not like sensitive talk. He doesn't enjoy inconsistencies in the diet, or being told that he can only eat MF products. He admits to being a jerk (especially on dates, right?), and enjoys it.

He is one of our most amusing members. Just don't tell him that. Because he REALLY hates having people blow smoke up his butt.

Ascicles, if I have in any way misrepresented you, by all means scold me.

Lauren

HAHAHA, thank you Lauren! It's all coming clear to me. Personally, I don't see why something positive someone has to say is them being fake or insincere. However, I totally agree that a lot of people are not genuine in their encouragement. One would like to think we all try to be sincere.

:)
Height: 5'8"
Dress Size: 12
Rachel
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby Sarya » July 22nd, 2006, 4:59 am

Dede, you're right. In fact, so far I'm pretty sure only one person has said to me, "I couldn't do that". Alot have said they wouldn't; it's dangerous; it's not real food. Ok that's your opinion, I'm not changing mine :)
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Mike » July 22nd, 2006, 9:59 am

Personally, I love encouragement and when people ask I tell them how... maybe some of them will be interested in trying.
As for the naysayers... do I care? No! They obviously don't see that this works for me and I'm not doing this for them, as Fluffy said, its for me.
So, encouragement, yes. Naysayers, no. :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby ascicles » July 22nd, 2006, 10:12 am

Lauren wrote:Ha! Rachel, meet Ascicles, our resident tell it like it is, no sweetening up, no b.s., manly man. Ascicles does not like to be buttered up. He does not like sensitive talk. He doesn't enjoy inconsistencies in the diet, or being told that he can only eat MF products. He admits to being a jerk (especially on dates, right?), and enjoys it.

He is one of our most amusing members. Just don't tell him that. Because he REALLY hates having people blow smoke up his butt.

Ascicles, if I have in any way misrepresented you, by all means scold me.

Lauren

Nope, that sounds about right :D

The only slight discrepancy I have is the part about only eating MF products. I do agree that following the program in that way is the best option. I just choose to go in a different direction if I see a "snack" or bar that provides the same nutrients/nutritional data, for a lesser price. It helps me keep Medifast at a more affordable cost.

I do make a point of always saying that I don't recommend anyone else doing it, though. I just do what works for me, and so far the results have been beyond my expectations.
Last edited by ascicles on July 22nd, 2006, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby ascicles » July 22nd, 2006, 10:15 am

Rachel wrote:HAHAHA, thank you Lauren! It's all coming clear to me. Personally, I don't see why something positive someone has to say is them being fake or insincere. However, I totally agree that a lot of people are not genuine in their encouragement. One would like to think we all try to be sincere.

:)

It's not that I have a problem with encouragement, I just don't like it. I don't get angry or bothered by it, I just prefer to not have the attention thrown on me for something like this. I guess that stems from me realizing that I put myself in this situation and I don't think I should be praised for merely getting back to the level I should have been at in the first place.

I'm not saying that encouragement and praise is not needed, because all of you are working very hard and deserve it. It's just not something that I, personally, enjoy having.

For the record though, I'm definitely a huge fan of Medifast. As of tommorow, I should be hitting the 90 pound mark for weight loss, so it clearly works and I'm thrilled I found it. I'm just difficult :)
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

Postby jump4joy » July 22nd, 2006, 12:16 pm

Oh my gosh, don't get me started about naysayers!!! For those who don't know, I've been thin three (and a half) times in the past ten years. I won't go over all the details, but I got thin the first time just doing my own diet and exercise...took me two years to lose 80 lbs. Found Medifast in 1998, and that's the diet I've lost on ever since. (If you want to know the details, read it my journal thread). The naysayers have been there all along (some of them, the same people). "What? That is a starvation diet isn't it?!"" You're doing Medifast AGAIN?! I thought you learned your lesson LAST time!!" "Do you think you'll gain it back again?" "Why don't you try another diet, like Atkins?" "Sounds like a fad diet!" And so on and so on, ad NAUSEUM!!! I have two sisters who are nurses, and they love to share their UNINFORMED opinions with me about how stupid I am to stick so loyally to Medifast. But will they read anything about it or look at the literature I've offered? NO! They are medical EXPERTS dont'chaknow!! The older sister always tries to push Atkins or GASTRIC BYPASS (I've never been more than 80 lbs. overweight, and SHE is at least that overweight ironically!), which surgery I consider to be a last resort for the very obese! Something I would never EVER consider doing (speaking only for myself)!

It's interesting to me that now that it's been only three years since I was last thinny, that this time around, having lost 35 1/2 pounds (almost half of the weight I need to lose), that the SILENCE has been deafening. There has been quite a change in my appearance.....my face being much thinner along with everything else. Not. One. Comment. It doesn't matter to me if I have compliments about it....it has actually been kind of nice to not have people notice or say anything. To me, though, the silence is very telling. I wonder if people aren't saying anything because they don't think I'll keep it off. Doesn't matter to me though what others' think......time will tell, and I'll just have to prove them wrong if any think that I'll regain. At least I've proven I can actually LOSE the weight.....some of my naysayers are overweight and have NEVER lost it once. I think I'm unusual because once I found MF, I've never looked back or looked at another weight-loss method. I think that many people go from diet to diet try on new diets like they try on new clothes. I'm sure that as I get closer to goal, the naysayers will speak up....of THAT I have no doubt. <<<end of rant!>>>>

Joy :heart:
Motto: The time will pass whether I diet or not.
jump4joy
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Mike » July 22nd, 2006, 12:33 pm

ascicles wrote: As of tommorow, I should be hitting the 90 pound mark for weight loss, so it clearly works and I'm thrilled I found it. I'm just difficult :)

Hey, congrats buddy. And on the difficult thing... I think you are just a typical man... I kinda resemble that too... just ask Diana :mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby AlexLHH » July 22nd, 2006, 5:17 pm

My family is so against this diet that they have offered to pay for all my food until I lose the weight if I do it via Jenny Craig.

That was very tempting, but all I know is that MF works for me. I don't want to do anything else.

And in my opinion, the only difference between MF and JC is that MF works faster. Maybe the JC food is tastier, but I don't really care. This works, and I'm sticking with it, and anyone who doesn't support me (which unfortunately is pretty much everybody except my fiance) knows where they can stick it. :lol:
AlexLHH

Postby Mike » July 22nd, 2006, 8:35 pm

Way to go Alex :D
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Jan » July 22nd, 2006, 9:56 pm

Hmmmm,
Those "nay sayers" are poking their noses out again huh?? My daughter is a pre-medical student ( she thinks MF is great by the way) Her studies require a lot of time and determination. She does brain chemistry research and will be presenting at the National Neuroscience Converntion ( yup I am a proud mama :oops: ) Anyway when her "friends" tell her she is studying too much..no fun ...etc etc. I just tell her to have them sign a statement saying they will be happy to pay for her bills and other expenses since they don't want her to suceed and be able to pay her own.
I wonder how these nay saying "friends" would react if we just asked them...since of course they seem to have sooo much medical knowledge and certainly know what is best for us...to sign saying they would be more than happy to pay for our weight related illnesses.( Just in case we follow their advice and pick up a couple) I'm guessing they would probably run.. thats ok -- difficult to give advice while running in the opposite direction :mrgreen: Seriously though my son-in-law is a Dr. and he has examined the MF program. He only has good things to say about it and wishes he could get all his patients with weight related issues on it. There will always be "nay sayers" we just don't have to listen.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » July 23rd, 2006, 4:16 pm

I rarely get naysayers anymore, but when I do, I just mention the Johns Hopkins angle. Shuts 'em up every time.

However (and don't I always have a "however"?), this is a protein-SPARING program; it doesn't mean you won't lose muscle, it just means you won't lose as much as on lower-protein programs. From all the reading I've done (and my own personal experience as well), some amount of muscle loss is inevitable when you lose a large amount of weight. You can increase muscle at the same time if you work out while you're losing (for those who CAN work out and still lose), but any weight-loss program alone will result in some loss of muscle.

I am most definitely flabbier and weaker than I was when I started, even though I'm now small enough to fit into some pretty small sizes.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » July 23rd, 2006, 4:28 pm

jump4joy wrote: which surgery I consider to be a last resort for the very obese! Something I would never EVER consider doing (speaking only for myself)!

I agree. I had the surgery and it worked (for the most part), but after a while I returned to my old habits and started gaining back. I have lost all that I gained and am now below my lowest weight post surgery thanks to MF.

At the time I decided to have surgery I was at a point where I felt it was my last option. I was 460 lbs with diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. I highly doubt that I would have even considered Medifast at that time, so I will not say that I regret it, because I don't.

I will say however, that I don't suggest having the surgery unless your BMI is off the chart like mine was (I was a 60). There are many programs available, and if MF is the right one, all the better for your health. :D
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

PreviousNext

Return to The Weight Room