Restarting - hypoglycemia - advice needed

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Restarting - hypoglycemia - advice needed

Postby fairladyj » May 22nd, 2008, 9:38 am

Hi -

I am attempting to restart - lost over 30# last year, gained around 20 back.

I have a history of hypoglycemia, but when I was on MF last year, as long as I took a One-A-Day Weight Smart vitamin, I was ok. that was one of the features of this plan that I really liked - I could follow it and feel good AND lose weight!

Now, it seems that my blood sugar is always crashing on me - which causes intense hunger, "spaciness" (more than usual), cold sweats, shakiness, etc. Needless to say, this is causing extreme problems with compliance - also, I don't seem to be losing - even with almost 2 weeks of compliance, I only lost 4 lbs, then another 2 over about 2 more weeks of off-and-on compliance.

Advice?
Jennifer in Michigan

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!
fairladyj
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby DogMa » May 22nd, 2008, 10:51 am

Welllll ... for the "slow" losing, it seems pretty obvious. Four pounds in two weeks isn't great, but it's average. Two more pounds with "on and off compliance" is pretty darn good; I'm guessing following the program completely rather than "on and off" would speed things up some.

As for the hypoglycemic issue, it seems like something you should discuss with your doctor. At the very least, call the nurse line.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Mike » May 22nd, 2008, 1:09 pm

On the Dr. Support call last night, Dr. Andersen addressed hypoglycemics. He said that if you follow the program (the way you are supposed to) there should be no problems. If you aren't compliant.... then you may have troubles.

Get in there, get complaint, and you should do fine.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Diana » May 26th, 2008, 11:45 pm

Fairladyj!!!! Hiya, Medibud!!

I noticed that it took me 2 weeks of absolute complaince to get "regulated" when I restarted. And, like you, there wasn't that fantastic multidigit loss as there was the first time. That doesn't mean it's not working. The initial drop is usually water, anyway. But I'm also more sensitive now to "cheats." Even little ones (a couple of croutons) invariably drop me right out of the fat burning state, I'm hungry, grumpy, full of cravings, tired, etc. If I go too far, it's the whole heart-thumping, sweat-breaking affair.

My advice -- focus on how good this program makes you feel and the weight will take care of itself as long as you remain compliant!

I am a "slow loser," apparently. I celebrate the weeks I lose 2 lbs or more. However, I've also done my share of self-sabotage and envelope stretching. No doubt, I'd be at goal if I hadn't. ON THE OTHER HAND, I lost 100 lbs in one year. That feat would have taken me more than 4 years of absolute compliance on any other program.

As for the blood sugar crashing, ditto Robin -- There's a Doctor's Call on Wednesday night, 5:30 Pacific. (646) 519-5860 PIN 0971# It's usually Dr. Andersen, the Medical Director and Co-Founder, or Dr. Joe, a cardiologist who's done the program and now coaches lots of other folks and is on the advisory team.
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Return to The Weight Room