restarting medifast - but I have an ulcer - any advice?

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

restarting medifast - but I have an ulcer - any advice?

Postby cmyk » July 14th, 2004, 10:59 am

Hi all!

I was successful last year with the medifast plan - I lost 50 pounds. But, unfortunately I have regressed to old eating habits and have gained it all back. I would love to start the program again but I am worried that the diet will aggravate my ulcer. I was diagnosed earlier this year with one and am currently taking Nexium. The pain is controlled as long as the acid does not build up. I am worried that the stomach will build up with this diet. Does anyone here have any experiences they could share with me?

Thanks so much!
cmyk

Postby Jeanette » July 14th, 2004, 11:05 am

Welcome!

I would check with your MD to see if Medifast will work for you in your current situation. I think it should be okay though!

Best of luck!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Carrie » July 16th, 2004, 7:49 am

I'd have to agree with Jeanette, I doon't remember anyone addressing that particular problem here - so I'm not sure what to tell you. You could also call Nancy or Terry and see if they have any advice.
Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » July 16th, 2004, 5:23 pm

I really don't have any experience with clients that have an ulcer either. Terry had horrible gastric reflux for years - I mean HORRIBLE! When he started on Medifast, it went away. He was on Prylosec for a couple of years and he was afraid to stop using it initially but once his weight began to decline, he stopped taking his RX and he was amazed - no probs!

Many medications require food ingestion - just take your pill with a shake.

It is necessary to ask your doctor when you make any changes in your eating or exercise habits.

Let us know what the doc says.

Perhaps there are others out there in Cyberland that can toss in their experiences.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Nite Izes » July 20th, 2004, 11:22 pm

I have an intestinal disorder and have been using the Medifast shakes and oatmeal with no problem. Medifast does not irritate the intestinal lining or digestive tract. I am proof due to personal experience.

I am under MD care (gastroenterologist) for my GI condition and it was the MD who recommeded Medifast to help assist me in weight loss since I do not qualify as a candidate for gastric bypass surgery also known as weight loss surgery. I was 165 lbs overweight and now I am 114 lbs overweight.

The only thing is I cannot be on full liquid program. I have to eat a regular meal that consist of meat and veggies. Medifast has low carb, low fat, low calorie and good amount of protein to help with your body system and most important it also has fiber. But do speak with your MD any concern of medical conditions you have. Everyone is different and use different meds to help in their medical treatment.
(303)285/208/140
start date: 3/27/04
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 1st goal= 250 BMI= 45.7
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Nancy » July 27th, 2004, 4:42 pm

Thanks, Nite Izes for your great reply. You are doing so well, I might add. Very soon you will be at that first goal. Your BMI is coming down nicely - good news for your heart!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to The Weight Room