(Guests Welcome)

Postby 24KaratGold » February 9th, 2005, 4:37 pm

Yay Jen!

Make that bunny run!!
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby cplantho » February 9th, 2005, 4:45 pm

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? NO! It's Jen's superduper MF weight losing bionic bunny!!!

Glad to see ya on the train! :mrgreen:
Christy
301/273.2/199

Started Jan. 24, 2005
cplantho
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby cthrn007 » February 9th, 2005, 5:31 pm

That sounds like a great plan to me Jen!!! :thumbsup:

We all know you can do this & you are off to a great mini restart!!!! I chop my Chocolate/Peanut Butter MF bars up into pieces and freeze them (thanks to raederle)! They make a great treat and take longer to eat!!

You heard it - run bunny run!!
~Catherine
cthrn007
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby jene115 » February 9th, 2005, 6:43 pm

Thanks everyone! Yes, as of today, I am back on track, no food, in fact, I'm drinking my strawberry creme with DaVinci sugar free vanilla syrup now. I made some banana creme pudding for later and OMG, I was almost wanting to eat it right then and there. It smells heavenly and I did taste a little from the whisk. I can't wait to have that and you better believe I will be ordering lots of banana pudding and lots of banana shakes. In fact, I may live off that. I'm not big on chocolate, althought the Dutch chocolate shake isn't too bad. I'm a banana freak though and if the shakes are half as good as the pudding, I'm in. I never will get sick of that. I could do 5 banana shakes a day easy. Okay, okay, enough of the banana love.

It was very weird making the shake after I got out of my work clothes. I kept hovering in the kitchen, thinking that I should have something with it, but I just shrugged and walked out. I'm not even hungry, so I have to force down the shake.

I got my new Tanita scale today. It measures weight, fat % and water %. I was dismayed to learn I have only 38% water. Normal for women is 50-55% I definitely need to up the water intake. Obviously, I am dehydrated, which I knew anyway.

Don't count me out ladies and gents, I'm in this for the long haul. I will be sending Unca Tim my pics tonight. As much as I hate them, I will do it. I decided not to take new ones because I just took them a few months ago and my weight is still the same. I am also going to post a picture of me at 209, back in 2001. It's a huge difference. I hate my multiple chins now. I didn't even recognize myself when the pictures were taken. But onward and downward!
Jen
03/01/08
"I'm stronger than my cravings!"
jene115
Preferred member

Postby raederle » February 9th, 2005, 8:11 pm

Hey, Jen... Just wanted to say not to put too much stock in the water % on your scale; because MF dehydrates, I would think that the measurement would be off a little even if you slurped your heart out! I had a Tanita body fat scale once, and I remember reading in the manual that being dehydrated also affects the fat % reading, because muscles contain a lot of water (soooo, if you have too little water in your bod, the scale thinks the weight surely must be fat, then!). So by all means use the scale as a tool to see how the numbers change over time, but don't be too discouraged if the fat and water percentages seem wacky, especially at first as your bod adjusts... Remember-- the scale is your friend, but it can lie to you, the lil bugger, so don't let a weird number mess with your mind! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » February 9th, 2005, 11:43 pm

Jen ~

I like your plan to clean out the refer and freezer and to toss out foods that are not on your Program. Long-term success is dependent upon planning and being well-prepared - plenty of Medifast products and Lean and Green foods on hand. We do not buy unhealthy foods or bring them home to call from the cupboards and drive us cwazy...

If you come back here on Monday with frostbite on your lips we'll know that you sampled the frozen chicken pies...

Jen, you are gonna make it - you have a lot of reasons to make changes in your current life- and food-style.

This afternoon when Terry and I were at the YMCA, we were both on treadmills for an hour. Two and a half years ago I would barely have been able to walk up the set of stairs to the gym without pausing.

There was a young couple on the elliptical trainers in the rows ahead of us. The man, most likely in his twenties, must weigh over 300 pounds; his sister in her early thirties weighed about what I did before I started Medifast - 265-270 pounds.

They worked really hard, they were red in the face and really puffing when they finished. Oh, how I wanted to tell them about Medifast! I saw myself and it hurt me to think about how much my weight taxed my heart, my joints and my vascular system.

Jen, I told you that I understand what it is like to have leg, ankle and foot veins not respond properly - we want for you to reach a healthy weight and for the pressure to be relieved from your legs. We want you to be able to trade those compression boots in for a pair of knee length high-heeled Rockport boots (like mine) or some cool suede and leather midcalf Naot boots (like mine) or some of the ugly but comfy Uggs! (Not on your life!)

Shake it up and shake it off!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby jene115 » February 11th, 2005, 11:29 pm

I took all the edible food to my friend the other day. What's left in the fridge I wouldn't eat, it's getting tossed tomorrow when I will have more energy to drag several bags out to the compactor. I still have frozen meat in the freezer, but I didn't cook before, I won't cook now. Some is from the deli (salmon, etc.) so that has to be tossed by now, I'm sure. The other stuff I will donate to my friend.

I've been doing great this week but for some reason I feel bloated, but I haven't gotten all my water in for the last few days because I get busy at work and forget it.

Buenos noches :snooze:
Jen
03/01/08
jene115
Preferred member

Postby cplantho » February 12th, 2005, 11:44 am

I'm so glad to hear you're doing great! I KNEW you could do it. Try this to remember your water. Do you work at a desk? Why don't you keep it out on top of your desk? With it sitting there staring you in the face, eventually you'll remember. I also try to drink at least 12-20oz with every medimeal, that helps too. I drink bottled (real cheap from WalMart) water, so it's easy to track how much I've had.
Christy
301/273.2/199

Started Jan. 24, 2005
cplantho
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby scrabbler7 » February 12th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Jen - great job on getting through this first few days. Your mind was in the right spot and that's when you know you are going to make this happen!

On the water thing .... I know it's so hard in the beginning, I had the same issues since I am a bonafied Diet Coke Addict -- but now I use that to my advantage. I NEVER have anything but water with any of my meals and I use it as a treat. I keep a 16oz water bottle with me (the prefilled ones you buy like Dasani or Aquafina). I buy the HUGE pack of them and then take one out each morning. I have to start my day with a diet coke or it's all over for me ... so after I finish my diet coke, I start on my water. I finish the first by lunch and then refill it from our water cooler. While I am eating my lunch I have my second -- knowing that I cannot have second diet coke of the day until I finish my 2nd bottle of water. (I know it's sad - but the bribery thing is working for me -- what can I say? :oops: That puts me at my half way point. My 3:00 "snack" time (shake or bar) usually has me finishing my 3rd bottle. And then I fill it up for the final time of the day and get that one in before I leave the office (usually around 6 or 7). Then I know when I get home, I can have my 3rd and final diet coke of the day with my medi-dinner. If I don't finish the 4th bottle - then it's no diet coke at dinner.

I keep the bottle with me all day - whether I am at my desk or in meetings. No one thinks anything of someone bringing a bottle of water to a meeting, right?

Keep working at it and you will find a way to up your intake on the water. Do it gradually or you will overwhelm yourself. To go from very little water consumption to 64 oz overnight is certainly not an easy task - so take baby steps. And remember, every bit you get in is better than none. Make it a 2 week project to get yourself up to the 64oz. You'll be amazed that once you start getting it in - your body craves it!

Hope this helps ---
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby jene115 » February 12th, 2005, 5:03 pm

I get water delivery at home because Houston water is gross. I hate lugging water home from the store, so I get water delivery. I get a 5 gallon bottle every month and 3 cases of the 1 liter bottles twice a month. I am weird, but I only like to drink very cold water out of the liter bottles (33.8 oz), so when I get four down, I know I've had my gallon, plus. I have an insulated bottle carrier that I put the water bottles in to keep them cold.

My water does sit right in front of my face, but even with it there, I get really busy and forget to drink. When I get back to the gym it will be easier. I easily drink a quart while working out. I used to drink a quart driving to work, but I drive over an hour now and am on a diuretic and if there's an accident on the road, well, you get the picture. So I wait until I get to work and have access to the ladies' room before I drink another!

After that, I try to drink one before lunch - that's 3 quarts down and then on my way home, so all water is in by 7 pm, when I arrive home. This is a perfect plan for me that I'm working toward. I did it before, I just have to get used to it again.

I don't like diet drinks that much so water is usually enough for me. I was a real Coke drinker and those are out. I may have a Diet Sprite Zero once in awhile, but I never finish it. I do like Diet Rite Red Raspberry though.

Baby steps. No Coke for the last week, no fast food. I really haven't felt that bad. A little sluggish and a tiny headache, but I am pretty surprised that it wasn't worse.
Last edited by jene115 on February 12th, 2005, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jen
03/01/08
jene115
Preferred member

Postby bk » February 12th, 2005, 5:04 pm

on water - make sure its at the right temperature for you. i like mine cool, but not cold. i prefer to get mine down by glugging instead of sipping. i too am a diet coke addict and right before i started the program i was a bit dehydrated because i hadn't been drinking any water.

where i record all my program info i have tickmarks for *16* ounce bottles of water. i do not think about it in 8 oz increments because it gets to be so many! because of this, since day 10 of my program, i have been able to glug down an entire gallon of water a day (today marks my 32nd day on program). i have a little routine. 1 bottle in the a.m. right after i wake up. i then putter a bit, take my vitamins and that takes up quite a bit of the 2nd bottle. it is my rule that i have to have 4 bottles in by the time of my 3rd supplement. if i do not, i sit there and glug it down! and of course 4 more by the time i go to sleep. at first it was a real challenge to get that much water in, but now i finish several hours before i go to bed and usually end up sipping on some more water! scrabbler is right -- your body ends up craving it.

i also drink 1, sometimes 2 diet cokes a day in addition to the water. if this 6-8 diet cokes a day girl can do it, so can you! water is part of your plan! success in a shaker jar says "on a rapid weight-loss plan like medifast, your body requires extra fluids to eliminate the by-products of fat metabolism." the way i see it, your body is breaking down your fat to use as fuel. it will break down MORE fat if it gets flushed away with water consumption before your body can actually use it. i have taken the attitude that i will pee as much as possible if it helps me to get the weight off!

also jen, iwould like to know how consistent your tanita is. have you tested it (like 5 minutes/10 minutes later does it say the same thing as before? i've been eyeing one too!)

i don't know about swelling, but i do know that even at my age (26!) my knees HURT sometimes. they don't hurt any more. i had also gotten plantar fasciitis again (had it once at around 17.. hmm... when i started gaining a bunch of weight) and i have had no more problems with my foot. friends have remarked how ridiculously hyper i have become. maybe thats because i can bounce around now and be silly without everything hurting. just stick with it and see what happens with those tootsies!
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby jene115 » February 12th, 2005, 5:18 pm

bk, on the Tanita scale, I've had 3 different models. I've had Tanita scales since 1997 or so. I just bought a new one this week, that measures weight, fat and water level. I've done the test where I step off, step back on, etc. and it's always been very consistent. I will never buy another brand of scale. On the fat percentage, it measures fat best in the early evening. I am about 61 percent fat :cry: and it will measure me at about 58.8 (most of my fat is lower body, but my lymphedema swelling in my legs interferes somewhat). I do think the water level is about right. It has me at about 34% right now and that makes sense. I know I'm dehydrated and only consistent water drinking will remedy that. I don't pay much attention to the fat percentage or water level. Once I start losing and get to a normal weight, it will measure me more correctly and once I consistently get that water in, the water level will rise to a normal 50% level.

I've already warned my new friend at work that once this weight comes off, watch out. I get pretty goofy and I am a bubbly fun person, even if I do say so myself! :mrgreen: I have days even now where that comes out and she says she loves seeing me like that. I love it too. It feels good to be happy and carefree and have joy in my heart. Losing this fat will be great for my knees, feet and confidence!
Jen
03/01/08
jene115
Preferred member

Update on Tanita Scale per your question above...

Postby cthrn007 » February 12th, 2005, 6:51 pm

Gald you ladies are doing so well!!! Made my day!!

I have been experimenting with my Tanita on MF & love it... it measures the weight, fat%, water %. I started out at 42% water (hardly ever drank plain water and should be at 55) and 38% body fat. I have been slowly losing the first twenty by working out and dieting for two years... until MF and now am more lbs down and 15 to go.

full fast every day - 100 oz. of water for the first time ever and exercising which probably slows down my weight loss but I am OK with that because I feel and look wonderful!

Interesting enough - when I would have any real bullion OR two pickles & a salad OR 2 tsp of salsa to soup OR a MF bar ... my weight loss would stop going down (and maybe gain) for about four days and the body water would shoot up 3-5%. Every time I try adding stuff to full fast that - I can't lose weight! It made me feel a lot better that the scale monitored & knew I was retaining water... not gaining body fat or real weight. After back on full fast and on day 4 I would drop 2 lbs. then a lb. the next day.

I love the scale. It is not perfect but it really helps me keep everything in check! You just have to watch all the results so you know what to add or take away from your diet...

Just losing 15 lbs on MF and drinking all that water every day has resulted in my water % going up to 51% which is healthy and body fat down to 30%. MF has made a BIG difference for me and it will for you too!!!

Just though that might help you decide how & which scale to use!!

Happy Shakin'!
Catherine
cthrn007

Postby bk » February 12th, 2005, 7:44 pm

i'm still not sure which one to get! the body water % ones seems good, but i don't know if i really need it. also, i don't like that you have to press the buttons with your fingers. i'm kinda partial to the ones you press with your toes. but knowing that you are retaining water is pretty cool too. also i don't like that the water ones don't seem to have the XL displays (or the glass one does, maybe, but is likely to become inordinately filthy in my apt). arrrrrgh.

torn, totally torn. who knew that selecting a new scale would be so difficult?!
bk
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby cthrn007 » February 12th, 2005, 8:00 pm

I just know that the days when I am not losing weight (which is often) ... the body water % and fat % tell me what I need to know to feel better about it!

OR - you can save yourself some $$ though by just knowing that MF works when you stick to it!!! It is really up to you - I just like the reassurance that I am on track regardless of the weight # for the day/week!

Mine was at a home/bath store (and Beyond) on sale.
~C
cthrn007

PreviousNext

Return to Come on in.