Questions regarding the 5 & 1 plan

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Questions regarding the 5 & 1 plan

Postby kelly1234 » January 31st, 2005, 5:06 pm

Hello,

I have never posted - new to this. I have been on Medifast for two weeks and have lost a total of 8 pounds. My question is about the 5 and 1 plan. Some things on the web and in my book arent the same. The 5 means 5 meal replacements, correct? But some places that I have read says it can only be 4 with one lean and green meal. Is this correct? Sometimes I can go with just 4 plus my meal and be totally satisfied for the day. Then I read "not to skip meals" so I am confused at which is correct. Another thing is this "lean and green meal" My husband and I go out to eat frequently and I have been getting chicken or fish with just green veggies (broccoli) mostly, it's my fave vegetable. Can I also have zucchini, green peppers (in the book it says raw green peppers) can I also have them cooked?? How about red or yellow peppers? I also like cauliflower, and green beans. All of these I bake with seasonings and Pam spray. Is this ok? The amount is 2 cups or less?? Any info to make sure that I am losing as much as I can would be so appreciated. Thank you so much!! :lol:
kelly1234

Postby scrabbler7 » January 31st, 2005, 5:30 pm

Hi Kelly! Welcome to the forum! :wave:

We've been on the program about the same amount of time. I'm on day 17 right now. I've lost about 10 lbs - like you - but won't know for sure until my new scale comes in. I'm starting to get impatient LOL.

As far as your questions go:

5 means 5 meal replacements, correct?

I agree that some of the material on the website(s) vs the starter book seem to conflict. That's why I came here in the first place, helped me to understand what was going on. It IS 5 replacements. That would include a maximum of 1 bar a day and 4 shakes/oatmeal/chili/soups combinations. (That's new - it used to be a minimum of 3 shakes until last week!)

Another thing is this "lean and green meal I have been getting chicken or fish with just green veggies "

It's 5 oz of lean meat (so your chickie or fish is perfectly fine) and green veges. Which can be broccoli as you are having, green beans, asparagus, etc. But no starchy veges like peas or corn or lima bean (one of my favs!). I suppose if green peppers are okay raw - they would be okay cooked - just watch how you are cooking them. The quantity is 1 and 1/2 cups cooked according to the starter guide (although some places I've read 3 cups which just sounded way wrong to me - so I go with the 1 1/2 cups).

Don't forget you can also eat up to 3 stalks of celery a day, AND 2 dill pickels, AND 2 cups of boullion.

One other thing to remember, if you find yourself truly hungry (stomach hungry not head hungry) - you can always have another shake. As Nancy says - there is NO reason to be hungry. And we all know what will happen when we get hungry -- that's the time temptation will win out. Better to have the extra 90 calories from a shake than blow the whole thing with some fast foods or sugary desserts!

Very glad to have met you and hope to see you in here often --
scrabbler7
Preferred Member - #10 Club

5 & 1 plan

Postby kelly1234 » January 31st, 2005, 6:22 pm

Thank you so much for all of the info, it can be a bit confusing. Your are so nice and helpful ;) I really appreciate it. So, no matter what - even if I have gotten my meal in, I still need to get another shake in after that to total 5, correct?? Never just 4. How much do you want to lose? I need to lose about 40 - 50 more pounds. I hope to talk to you on a regular basis. Thanks again!!! :lol:
kelly1234

Postby Unca_Tim » January 31st, 2005, 6:24 pm

Hi Kelly and welcome,
Ame covered your question nicely. (Thanks Ame)
Sounds like you're doing fine.

For more details, check out our FAQ section and particularly this thread that Mike posted:
http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/diet-566.html

Keep shakin'
:cheers:
We're glad you found us.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby scrabbler7 » February 1st, 2005, 6:30 am

No problem - Unca --- I learned it all here!

Kelly - It'll be nice to have someone to compare notes with. Glad you came on board. I've set a goal weight of 135 for now. I started at 178. When I get there, I'll re-evaluate and see how I feel. A goal weight any lower than that really felt "unattainable". I didn't want to psyche myself out of this; so I went with a weight I could feel comfortable getting to.

To answer you question -- yes - you should ALWAYS have your 5 meal replacements. There is one thread in here that explains about your body going into starvation mode and holding onto the weight if you don't get enough food. Having the 5 replacements does that for you.

Have a good day!
scrabbler7

Postby explorthis » February 1st, 2005, 7:24 am

WOW Ame, sure you’re new to this? What a great reply…. Amazing…

Great job.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby scrabbler7 » February 1st, 2005, 3:43 pm

:oops: Compliments from Mike .... I'm just so darned proud of myself.
scrabbler7

thanks!

Postby kelly1234 » February 2nd, 2005, 3:38 pm

Thank you so much Aimee, we are in the same boat. My goal is 135 as well. I started at 180. We should keep in touch. Everyone seems so nice on this forum, it's wonderful to read how everyone supports everyone. Thanks again :D

Kel
kelly1234

Postby scrabbler7 » February 2nd, 2005, 7:44 pm

Kelly - no problem. I'm in here several times a day just checking on all the postings. (I will say it's been VERY busy the last few days!!!)

Drop me a note anytime -- my email addy is in my profile -- and make sure to do your Sunday roll call in the Weigh in Room.

Glad to have someone to share this with!
scrabbler7

weight loss

Postby kelly1234 » February 15th, 2005, 9:29 am

Hello everyone! I was wondering if 15 pounds in the first 4 weeks is good?? Should it be more? I struggled over Valentines Day. I am trying to reach Ame - the girl that I talked with before, but I cant seem to find her profile to email her. I think it is "scrabbler" ?? If your out there, how are you doing??
kelly1234

15 lbs in one month??

Postby cthrn007 » February 15th, 2005, 10:00 am

Hi there!

I started at in the 170's and my goal is 130.... I am on the full fast and lost about 13lbs. the first month. I say you are right on target. Sounds to me like you are off to a great start!!! Keep up the good work!

Happy shakin'!
~Catherine
cthrn007
Preferred Member - #30 Club

15 pounds the first 4 weeks

Postby kelly1234 » February 15th, 2005, 8:22 pm

Thanks Catherine :lol: I appreciate your feedback. I am on the 5 and 1 plan. Good luck to you as well.
kelly1234

Postby Nancy » February 15th, 2005, 8:48 pm

Welcome, Kelly1234 ~

Ame, you did give her super advice - thank you!

The board has been very busy and I am, too - not ignoring you, just swamped right now.

Regarding the issue of the Complete Program and the Modified Program: there has been a change in the protocol since I first started the Forum in 2003.

When my husband and I started our weight loss program in 2002, we were under a doctor's care and now through Take Shape For Life, people can use Medifast products under the guidance of a Health Advisor, such as Terry and me.

We are NOT medical doctors; we do not take the place of a physician. We can provide the tools and education you need to be successful. The original programs when we started 2.5 years ago were 5 Medifast meals for the Complete Program and the Modified Program was 4 Medifast meals and a Lean and Green meal. Now after recent evaluation, Dr. Andersen, who is the Medical Director for Medifast Diet and also for TSFL has established the 5 and 1 Program and it is printed in the Quick Start Booklet and that is what we support here, as well.

I think I may be able to help you with the mystery of the 3 cups / one and one-half cups difference in vegetable portions. When you read in some places about the serving size of vegetables, please keep this in mind - some TSFL publications refer to servings. Serving sizes are usually 1/2 cup cooked vegetables. So...3 servings = 1.5 cups of cooked vegetables.

Remember, on the MMT Forum there are a lot of people who reply and write postings, however not everyone is a Health Advisor.

Not all Health Advisors are certified and not all have advanced certification.

Terry and I are certified Health Advisors and we also have advanced certification - we have undergone advanced certs three times (not because we failed at all - we are national directors, soon to be global directors and we are continually advancing in our training. We train trainers.

You need to always go with the publications from the company as they have already run by the desk of Dr. Andersen for his approval. I do my level best to keep everyone informed of changes just as soon as I am able and make the announcements in my Newsletters and also on the Forum.

I appreciate the way that the Forum Family comes to the aid of new people and for referring people to previous postings- you are the best and I appreciate each of you!

We know that you are going to do very well, Kelly – just keep shaking and searching the Forum for the answers you need!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby scrabbler7 » February 16th, 2005, 5:33 pm

Oh my goodness!!! I know that I was on here yesterday and thought I read all the new posts - but I missed two of your replies. So so so sorry!!! Don't know how that happened -- AND -- you are absolutely right about the email address not showing in my message. I'll change that as soon as I finish this reply.

You can also send a Private message at any time by clicking on the PM button at the bottom of my message.

So - I'm done apologizing now, Kelly. Your are doing AWESOME. Everyone is going to lose differently and many factors are going to go into your loss for you personally. 15 pounds in 4 weeks is 3 3/4 pounds a week. Not shabby at all. At that rate - you will lose about 50 pounds in just about 13 or 14 weeks. Remember that some weeks the scale isn't going to budge at all -- while others may show a much bigger loss.

How AMAZING is that? To think that in approximately 3 1/2 to 4 months time you will have gotten to your goal???? Man I just love Medifast. Shout it from the rooftops --- THANK YOU MEDIFAST!!! THANK YOU MMT!!!

k - i'm done :oops:
scrabbler7

Postby scrabbler7 » February 16th, 2005, 8:36 pm

Kelly - I noticed tonite in your message that you aren't a registered MMT user but are still signing on as a guest.

Next time you visit go to the link below and get yourself all registered up. Then you'll be able to see individual's profiles and send Private messages etc.

Click here to become a member: http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/prof ... e=register
scrabbler7

Next

Return to Come on in.