5 & 1 PLAN

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

5 & 1 PLAN

Postby want2Bthin » March 20th, 2005, 5:59 pm

NANCY, I HAVE A QUESTION. I STARTED THE PROGRAM ON 3/10/05. I AM ON THE 5 & 1. I WAS HAVING TROUBLE GETTING MY CALORIES ABOVE 680. I WAS FOLLOWING THE PLAN EXACTLY AS INSTRUCTED BY MEDIFAST. I CALLED AND SPOKE WITH THE NUTRITIONIST AT MEDIFAST. SHE SAID THAT THEY ARE CHANGING THE MEAT PORTIONS ON THE LEAN AND GREEN MEAL SO THAT THE PEOPLE ON THIS PROGRAM WILL BE ABLE TO HIT ATLEAST 800 CALORIES PER DAY, OTHERWISE THEY ARE TOO CLOSE TO BEING ON THE LOW CALORIE PLAN. I WENT TO THE OFFICIAL MEDIFAST SITE TODAY AND SAW THAT THEY HAD MADE CHANGES. IF YOU GO TO ABOUT MEDIFAST AND THEN THE PLAN IT WILL DESCRIDE THE LEAN AND GREEN MEAL. IT SAYS THAT YOU NEED TO HAVE 7 OUNCES OF CHICKEN, TURKEY, OR FISH & 5 OUNCES OF LEAN BEEF, PORK OR LAMB. I TRIED TO EAT A LARGER MEAT PORTION FOR MY MEAL TODAY AND FELT WAY TO FULL. I LIKE THAT I AM GETTING USE TO LESS. DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE OK TO STAY WITH THE SMALLER PORTIONS?
THANKS,
ANGELIA :lol:
want2Bthin
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Nancy » March 21st, 2005, 9:21 am

Thank you, Angelia for your inquiry.

Dr. Andersen was here just last weekend (March 11th-12th) for a training conference and he did not mention a protocol change. I will check with him and get back with you.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

5 & 1 PLAN

Postby want2Bthin » March 21st, 2005, 3:08 pm

NANCY-
THANK YOU FOR LOOKING INTO THIS FOR ME. I AM JUST GOING TO STICK TO THE SMALLER PORTIONS. MY BODY IS HAPPIER THAT WAY. I AM SO GREATFUL TO HAVE FOUND THIS SUPPORT GROUP. IT HAS BEEN SO MUCH HELP. I WAS LUCKY TO HAVE FOUND IT. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE CONSIDERING BECOMING INVOLVED WITH TSFL. I WILL BE CALLING YOU SOON. YOUR WEIGHT LOSS INSPIRES ME.
ANGELIA :)
want2Bthin

Postby Nancy » March 24th, 2005, 1:35 pm

Angelia ~

We have a couple of issues here that I want to address.

If you are on the 5 and 1 Program, :huh: I don’t understand how you arrived at 680 calories.
Even if you used 5 shakes (they have the lowest calories of all the products) that would total 5 packets X 90 calories = 450 calories + the Lean and Green which is about 300 Calories = 750 calories. :shock: Are you eating only 4 packets a day? :scratch:

:twisted: :twisted: Naughty Girl! :twisted: :twisted:

If you are having a hard time eating that much meat at one sitting, then nibble on it throughout the day. It is important for people to get enough nutrition. The Program we support and endorse is the 5 and 1.

People who are on the complete meal replacement program need to be monitored by their doctor. Remember, I do not have the title “Doctor” in front of my name, just the title, “Fabulous” precedes the name Nancy Pettit. :mrgreen:

I did check with Dr. Andersen and also with the Nurse.

There is a change in the protein portion size for the 5 and 1 Program and the new Quick Start booklets are in the process of being revamped.A meal plan less than 800 calories is considered to be a Very Low Calorie Diet. Any time we ingest less than 800 calories per day, we must be monitored by a physician.Angelia, if it hard for you to eat a larger meat portion, I'd suggest that you :bib: nibble at it throughout the day or make two meals - 3.5 ounces of meat and one cup of salad twice a day.

:coach: Attention! Noggin’ Noogies Alert! :hammerhead1: :hammerhead: :x Many people have been skipping packets or going for more than four hours between meals. It is best to eat every two or three hours.

Many people are living very active lives; they work long hours, stay up late at night and get up early the next morning. They are running out of gas and jeopardizing their health if they do not eat enough food.

We really want people to eat 800-830 calories a day. Unlike other traditional weight loss programs that tell people to not eat after 7 PM, it is fine to eat packets of Medifast in the evening. I always have a bedtime snack of oatmeal, Chai Latte, Cappuccino or puddin' ~ ALWAYS!

I am NOT on the weight loss program but rather maintenance (Oh, I love the thinniness of that word!) and I have a lean and green supper about 6 PM, a snack at 9 PM (three or four green olives and a few almonds and broccoli, or a piece of low fat cheese and veggies, sometimes sugar free Jell-O and a small amount of meat or shrimp, MF Oatmeal cookies or a MF shake or soup) and another snack at 11 or midnight – my beloved MF oatmeal or Chai. Sometimes in the middle of the night I have part of a bar, too.

Trust the plan to work; Angelia, there are no shortcuts to improved health and a smaller waistline! ;)

I feel that for some who are not losing weight consistently, they may not be getting enough food, especially if they exercise.

I did VIRTUALLY NO exercise during my weight loss process. None. Honest.
Walking up and down the hallway to the BR was the extent of my exercise program. That is one of the things that attracted me to the Take Shape For Life Program. A 265 pound middle age woman in menopause doesn’t enjoy sweating any more than necessary.

Once I arrived at my weight goal and went through transition, I began :weightlift: exercising for maintenance and to improve my cardiovascular system and bone health. It has also proved to be a great way to deal with stress and the bumps in the roadway of life…

Less is not more.

Less is not best.

Less is not enough.

Enough (7 ounces) is best.

Enough is enough!

:hug:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby raederle » March 24th, 2005, 2:02 pm

Hmmm.... 7 ounces? Awesome!

I did some quick math (yikes!) and figured out that 3.5 ounces of boneless, skinless chicken breast actually only has about 165 calories in it; even after adding the "green" -- 2 full cups of greens and a half cup of salad veggies on top-- might only add up to another 40 or 50 calories. To me, it looks like 5 shakes plus a lean & green, if you eat no snacks and don't bother with dressing, can leaves you with less than 800 cals a day. (Did I do the math right?) Of course, I don't know what kind of lunatic would deny herself snacks and dressing ;), but I think it's theoretically possible to do the 5 & 1 and still come up short of 800 cals. Hence the change in protocol, I suppose...

I'm just psyched I can almost double my chicken at night-- it would help to feel like I'm having a real meal. (I don't suffer from the "too much food" problem that Angelia does! ;))
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

medifast

Postby want2Bthin » March 24th, 2005, 2:19 pm

Nancy,
I have been getting my calories to atleast 800 since that post. I spoke to the nutritionist again at Medifast and confirmed the portion changed. I have increased mine.

I did want to tell you that I have never skipped a supplement. Here is one of the days I was referencing to when I told you about the calories being to low:

7:00 am fruit & granola bar 160
9:30 am van shake 90
12:00 chick. noodle soup 90
(I added 1 tsp sod free bouillon) 10
2:30 pm choc shake 90
5:00 pm 4 oz. lean pork chop 100(I took the calories off the meat wrapper)
1 1/2 cup broccoli 50 (" ")
7:30 pm van shake 90

Total calories: 680

This is why I called Medifast when I did b/c with the meat portion size they said to eat I was only averaging about 700 calories a day. I would never skip a supplement- I look forward to each and every one of them. And as far as snacking, I did not know I could have anything else besides 2 celery stalks until I found this forum which was 9 days after I started the program.

Thank you for letting everyone know about the changes.
Angelia :-P
want2Bthin

Postby Dean0408 » March 24th, 2005, 2:34 pm

Are we talking pre-cooked weight regarding the "lean"? I may switch to the 5 and 1 because I am definately getting less than the recommended 800 calories on the full plan and I do exercise (half what I used too), so I think I could handle the extra calories.
Dean0408
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby doglover » March 24th, 2005, 2:47 pm

This is so great that this was brought up. I really have been concerned because I am still fighting the hungries but I figured I am losing weight so I must be in ketosis. Not every day, but most days I am definitely having to eat at about 2 1/2 hrs and cannot make it past 3. I have also started to notice a lot of tiredness (like bone dead tired at night) and bouillon or fast soup is not helping. However I am really active, hardly sit at all unless chatting w/ my friendshere on the forum ;). I decided to begin exercising this week (after consulting my HA Becky!) as I thought this would help the fatigue.

So, I am going to watch the calories of what I eat and see if I am getting to 800. This week is kind of a bad week because I am PMS-ing BIG TIME!

Now I must step into the confessional. :oops: I have sneaked some spoons :oops: of PB this week :oops: I have been so stressed and so hungry and so PMS-y that I broke down. I am going to forgive and forget myself and move on to tomorrow. Please Aunt Flo - come so I can stop PMS-ing!!! :|

Thanks for all the info Nancy. I will watch my calories.
Donna
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » March 24th, 2005, 2:55 pm

Dean0408 wrote:Are we talking pre-cooked weight regarding the "lean"? I may switch to the 5 and 1 because I am definately getting less than the recommended 800 calories on the full plan and I do exercise (half what I used too), so I think I could handle the extra calories.
The Medifast official site says
Meats and vegetables should be measured or weighed with a food scale or measuring cup before cooking and consuming.
(Emphasis added.)
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » March 24th, 2005, 3:09 pm

Nancy,

Would the portion sizes also increase for Men? If so, what would those portion sizes be?

Maura
Start Date: 1/2/2007
itsgonnaworkthistime

Postby Nancy » March 24th, 2005, 3:21 pm

:hmmm: I respectfully submit COOKED weight of meat.
This is directly from my training manual and my two years and nearly nine months experience as a fairly BIG FAT LOSER and Health Advisor…

Bake, broil, roast or bake meat on a rack or poach or stir fry in a non-stick pan with cooking spray. When the outdoor barby is out of gas or the weather is nasty, George Foreman grills are great, aren’t they?

Remove all visible fat before and after cooking; remove skin from poultry a fish before eating.

Weigh meat AFTER removing any bones and fat and AFTER cooking.
Boil, steam or microwave vegetables and top with herbs or spices.

Use seasonings and condiments to add flavor and variety to your meal (mustard, ketchup, horseradish, garlic, lemon, lime juice, bouillon or fat-free broth).
Last edited by Nancy on March 24th, 2005, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby doglover » March 24th, 2005, 3:22 pm

Ok...I may not be getting this but I just did some quick math. If someone is on the complete program and they have 6 supps/day. Three are shakes and 3 are "others". We have 270 calories in shakes and then assuming 1 bar, one oatmeal and one soup, that is 380 calories. Also assuming someone eats crackers once a day that's another 55 calories. This gives us a whopping 705. Some of us cannot have pickles and such due to water retention. How do you recommend getting the additional 125 calories? Is the calorie requirement different for complete program?

Help..... :scratch:
Donna
Feb 7, 2005 start date
doglover

Postby Nancy » March 24th, 2005, 3:24 pm

Donna: YES. The Complete Program (no regular food) 6 Medifast packets a day is a VLCD and therefore, it requires medical monitoring.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

5 and 1

Postby want2Bthin » March 24th, 2005, 3:24 pm

Hi- When I spoke to the nurtritionist and Medifast she said that when she came on board she did the math and realized that it would be hard for people to hit 800 cal or more with the program the way it was. She said that is why they were modifying the program to the larger meat portions for everyone. If you go to the official site you will see what it says. Until I changed my portions after looking into it further I was never hitting my calories. Now I am.

The lean pork that I am referencing to in my menu for that day is something I buy at my local Kroger called lean generation pork.

I feel 100% better now that my calories are above 800. I'm not sure what your calories need to be on the complete plan b/c I am not doing that. I am on the 5 and 1. When I started I went straight thru Medifast and knew nothing about HA. Now I have just signed up under Bonnie.

Angelia :-P
want2Bthin

Postby doglover » March 24th, 2005, 3:42 pm

If we want to have all medimeals and no food choices for personal reasons, do you think I can add a 7th supp to get to 800 and be ok w/ weight loss. My dr. is fine w/ this diet and due to my age, health and the fact that I do not have a large amt of weight to lose, has not recommended constant monitoring. Do you think this is wrong?

Nancy, I was going to PM you but thought there has to be others who may have these same concerns. I am immediately thinking about the other Donna, who is having a hard time losing much more than 1 lb a week. Maybe she is not getting enough??? Not to speak for you Donna, just thinking about you! :)

Thanks Nancy.
Donna
Feb 7, 2005 start date
doglover

Next

Return to Weight Loss