Question for those who have lost quite a bit

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Question for those who have lost quite a bit

Postby Signladytf » April 6th, 2006, 8:41 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon that I've not experienced with other weight losses. (I'm also getting older, so this may account for some of it!)

As I lose, I am developing aches and pains that I didn't have before, especially in my hips, back and neck. Is this common for folks who have lost a lot of weight? I'm only at 45 pounds so far, but I would've expected to feel less aches.

Not deterring me, though! :) Thanks in advance for your input.
Tammy
402/337/125
(-65!)
Restarted 8/27/2007

Signladytf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby loriannk » April 6th, 2006, 8:44 am

I can't answer your question but I have been having similar pains. My hips have been killing me. I thought it maybe had something to do with having a baby 10 months ago (my 3rd). It seems to be getting worse and I too wonder if it has something to do with MF.

Great question. Lets hope someone can answer it for us.

Lori
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Pashta » April 6th, 2006, 9:01 am

My guess would be because we are consuming less fat than before and also Medifast makes us slightly dehydrated our joints have less lubrication than before.
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Trixie » April 6th, 2006, 9:32 am

No answer for you here, just more questions....

I've heard that when gaining weight such as during pregnancy your center of gravity changes and that can create temporary pains in your back, hips, etc.

If that's true, maybe the same is true for a rapid weight loss.
2007 Start Date: 01/02/2007
Trixie
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Marseilles » April 6th, 2006, 10:30 am

Im with you on this one, my hips KILL me!!!
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby bzlife1967 » April 6th, 2006, 10:47 am

I don't have a definitive answer for you either. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with doing medifast. It could have something to do with losing weight. You may want to try some glucosamine and condroitin (spelling??) or the joint health shakes from medifast.

You may be carrying yourself differently since your weight loss, you may be sitting differently, crossing your legs etc. I was having alot of pain in my lt heel for a long time, I contributed it to my weight, but made a concious effort to think about what I had done the day before on the mornings that it was really painful and realized it hurt worse the mornings after I had driven alot, then I realized that I sat kind of crooked in my car while driving and it wasn't actually my foot but my hip radiating pain to my foot. I also always sit on my feet when Im on the couch I now make sure I am sitting head on with the steering wheel and have my legs in front of me on the couch and the pain is much better.

On a side note, have you ever looked into inversion therapy? I bought myself an inversion therapy table for Christmas... You strap your ankles on what is kind of like a cot and hang upside down. It really helps. It stretches everything back out, your spine your legs etc and allows the disc's in your spine to soak up some of that fluid they so desperatly need. Your spine is the center of your body so it does make sense to me. Gravity is sometimes a bad thing. I now have fewer headaches, NO backaches and I actually grew 1/2 inch. LOL well I didn't grow but my spine is less compressed. Spine compression is "gravity" related and that is why we shrink as we get older. You can google inversion therapy and it will give you tons of information. I bought my inversion therapy table on overstock dot com.

Geri
Friends are angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly!
Highest 289
MF 250/216/150
Restart 02/27/07
bzlife1967
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Lauren » April 6th, 2006, 10:54 am

Hi to all you aching folks!

Actually the book tells us you'll often run into back pain and such because you are losing weight so rapidly your body is going through constant adjustments, moving weight around, basically reconfiguring. I haven't had too much of a problem with aches and pains, but it is totally normal, so, unless you are really suffering, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Hope you all stop creaking soon!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Serendipity » April 7th, 2006, 2:25 pm

I don't have any pain, but I am having a bit of trouble with my posture. I really think my body doesn't know what to do with all of the stretched out muscles in my back and until they shrink up, there's nothing to pull my shoulders back. I've asked my husband to remind me if he sees me slouching because I just think it's terrible to slouch, but really, I may end up needing some physical therapy to strengthen the right muscles.

It doesn't surprise me at all to hear you are having pain. Our bodies are changing every day and I suppose that can cause stress in all the hurty places.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Return to Come on in.