A question for the lawyers in the group...

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

A question for the lawyers in the group...

Postby Marseilles » March 20th, 2005, 4:31 pm

As I know there are a ton of you!! ;)

Does anyone have many dealings with immigration law? And if so could I bend your ear a moment? I hate to even toss it out there, but I am very curious about something....

Totally removed from most things medifast, that is why I stuck this in the 'Come on in' section.....

Thanks in advance!!!!
-M.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby Marseilles » March 21st, 2005, 7:03 am

Disregard, I believe I found the answer I was looking for.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby raederle » March 21st, 2005, 7:19 am

Didn't mean to ignore ya! I just knew I had no idea about that area of law, so better to just keep my mouth shut than wing it and get it wrong! It's definitely an area of law that's changing daily with the new post-9/11 rules and regs, so you'd want someone who knows what they're talking about (i.e., not me!) Hoep you found what you needed!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Marseilles » March 21st, 2005, 7:27 am

I tell ya, its CRAAAAAAAZY.

I went into DMV to change my address on Saturday as we have since relocated and I am one to abide by laws requiring me to do so... and THEY REVOKED MY LICENSE!!!!!

Why, you ask? Because I did not have a Canadian one to present to them. Why, you ask? Because I relinquished it to FL DMV in order to hold a FL license. Why, you ask? Because I am a FL resident.

Ahem....

What to do, what to do....

NOT a fun day in the life of M, I tell ya.

Solution in sight? At this point, who knows...I'll post the continuing saga of my experiences with the FL DMV as Canadian citizen as they transpire...

Assuming I do not go 'postal', of course.

*SIGH*
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby raederle » March 21st, 2005, 8:17 am

Yikes! What a disaster! I can sympathize with being penalized for trying to be a law-abiding citizen-- I got married several months ago, and the battle to update all my records with my new married name has been epic. It makes me wonder why I even bother helping the government and the credit card companies to find me! :mrgreen:

If only every organization were run as well as MF! (Howz that for a lame attempt at bringing this thread on topic so Unca doesn't scold us? ;) ) Example-- I've been trying to get Ediets to stop spamming my work email address for WEEKS! I used the site for a month last year, lost no weight (surprise), and unsubscribed from the mailing list. But they keep spamming me! I've called the company twice, sent 6 emails to their customer service and tech help depts, and used the "unsibscribe" link a dozen times. Still, without fail, I have a spam-mail from Ediets every Monday in my work inbox. Gaaaahh! Don't they realize???? MF worked! Ediets didn't (for me)! So leave me alone!
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » March 21st, 2005, 9:19 am

Marseilles, I too don't really know much about immigration -- I do have someone I used to be able to call when I needed answers about such things, but it's been more than a decade so I really don't have a contact. And it's a highly technical area, so not one that anyone not familiar with it would want to try to "wing."

Good luck with the DMV -- what a pain they can be! :roll:
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Marseilles » March 21st, 2005, 11:17 am

A big thanks to you both for replying, your candor is much appreciated. Like I said, I hated to even toss it out there but was pretty desperate for even a slight hint as to what to do when I wrote it...yanno?

So, thanks again.

I (*crosses fingers*) believe I have actually spoken to someone within the DMV that actually is in possession of half a brain and if all goes as it should and good fortune smiles upon me, I should have said Drivers License by this time again tomorrow....should have. Admittedly though, I am very afraid to get my hopes up at this point.

Wish me luck!
-M. the pedestrian
Marseilles
Preferred member

Return to Come on in.