question for people losing more than 100 lbs

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

question for people losing more than 100 lbs

Postby Grayson » May 2nd, 2007, 7:56 am

I'm at 117 lost right now, and probably want to lose another 13 lbs or so. Really, when I quit now depends more on how I look than what number is on the scale....

Which leads me to this question: for those of you losing such a large amount of weight, did you have huge areas of excess skin on your body once you were done? Sorry if this sounds nasty, but I have to ask. I've noticed my butt getting a little dumpy, and I'm worried about having excess skin around my stomach.

I don't really know how the body works in this situation. Will it "absorb" or somehow "get rid of" the excess skin? Is there anything I can do once I'm done losing and really start exercising? I'm scared to death that I'm going to have to pay thousands of $ for skin removal surgery or something.

For the record, I'm 5'9" and currently weigh 183.
Grayson
Regular Member - #120 Club

Postby Seaside » May 2nd, 2007, 8:07 am

That's a great question. I know Nancy has addressed this in the past. I'd love to know what people who have experience with this have to say.

And congrats on your success!
Seaside
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » May 2nd, 2007, 8:39 am

Grayson,

I'm a big guy, always have been, thus, lots of saggy fat hanging from the belly. As I have lost 187 lbs. total over the past 3 and a half years I still have the sag... its just flatter... ;)

I actually plan to have it removed when I am done. Others who have lost this much have been able to have the skin reabsorb some, typically this happens when folks are younger, or haven't had the excess weight for many years like I have.

Everyone is different, so I am just giving my own experience. I would say if its overbearing to you, give it time and see what happens. Exercise helps.

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Serendipity » May 2nd, 2007, 9:30 am

I have too much skin on my upper arms, thighs, and stomach/midriff areas. I have seen a bit of improvement over time, but I think that I'll need to consult with a surgeon. I'm waiting until I've maintained at least a year, though, to give the ole' bod a chance to adjust as much as possible.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » May 2nd, 2007, 11:25 am

Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Grayson » May 3rd, 2007, 9:06 am

Thanks a lot for the links! I'm really getting worried about this.
Grayson

Postby Lauren » May 3rd, 2007, 9:21 am

Hey, Grayson! Congrats on such a successful loss! So, I am curious - why are you scared to death of the skin? I mean, I get that it sucks, but would you prefer to go back to not having lost the weight if it meant getting exceess skin?

I have lost about 167 pounds, and I totally have excess skin that I will be having lopped off - the sooner the better! Like Jo, I am trying to hold out as long as possible to make sure I am settled in my weight and that my body has "rebounded" as much as it will, but after many years of yo-yo dieting and being obese, even though I'm only 31, it's not bouncing back. And while I certainly don't like it, I privately view it as a badge of honor, and a reminder of what I did to myself and what I'll not do again. Even if every part of my body was sagging and dragging on the ground, I would still think that the weight loss was worth it. Skin can be hidden, tucked, shoved to the side, wrapped up tight beneath undergarments. Fat can not. Skin may chafe or get a bit in the way, but it doesn't prevent me from the many joys of living an active life. Fat did.

There is no downside to losing this weight, Grayson, it's just another right of passage. Embrace it. Embrace yourself.

Oh, and as a side note, if you've lost 117 pounds and only have about 13 to go, and don't have lots of excess skin already, then it's not likely to show up. You may luck out after all!

lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Grayson » May 8th, 2007, 8:00 am

Lauren,

Mainly I feel that I've come a really long way in these last 9 months, and I would consider having a bunch of nasty (my opinion) loose skin hanging off my body to be a major setback on my journey toward changing my appearance. I'd like to walk around with my shirt off in my yard and not be embarrassed, and go swimming in public, go to the lake, etc.

I don't have a ton of excess skin, but I have identified just a few areas that I'm concerned about: my gut and my butt. My butt's not a problem, because I'm not walking around nekkid in public, but my gut I am worried about. Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather lose the weight and just have the skin issue to deal with, but I don't see why I can't have both! Maybe Medifast has spoiled me...

Anyway, thanks for all the comments and links. I'm only 29, so maybe my skin will shrink when it's all said and done.
Grayson

Postby nickieluv » May 8th, 2007, 8:15 am

That's what I'm hoping, too - that being pretty young and having good genetics will take care of the skin issue. I don't have any yet but I'm looking very dimply in my tummy - I guess that means I need to start working out - yech! I hope your skin reabsorbs fabulously! :)
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » May 8th, 2007, 8:31 am

nickieluv wrote:That's what I'm hoping, too - that being pretty young and having good genetics will take care of the skin issue. I don't have any yet but I'm looking very dimply in my tummy - I guess that means I need to start working out - yech! I hope your skin reabsorbs fabulously! :)

I am getting dimples too. I am glad my stomach hasn't fallen but it is dimply. My thighs are dimply in the front too but high up enough that I could cover up with a little skirt or mesh shorts over my bathing suit. Even when I weighed 117 pounds I hated my thighs and would buy tiny cover ups like I mentioned to mask them. I just wanted to add that with my pre-MF loss, I have lost 84 pounds.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Pashta » May 8th, 2007, 10:33 am

The slower you lose weight the higher the chance the skin won't sag. Strength exercises really help too I have read.
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Diana » May 8th, 2007, 10:59 pm

Our buddy, TonyR, has lost almost 170 lbs. and is now on maintenance. He's noticed that his sagging around the middle has shrunk 2 inches since he's started doing ab work (sit ups, etc).

There are so many factors that go into what your skin will do, and there are definitely ways to deal with it.

Grayson, like everyone else has said: you'd have noticed by now if you're going to have a problem with sagging skin since you have less than 20 to go. Your skin won't suddenly collapse into rolls. Yes, you're young, and I just betcha you're GOING to have it both! Talk to a fitness trainer about some ab exercises. Best to ya!
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby bdg » May 9th, 2007, 3:44 am

Also, I've lost almost 200 lbs and while I have sagging skin, it certainly isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Not what want either. Good thing is I think I could get away with wearing no shirt if I cared about it. My body is certainly not as bad as some I have seen, because the sagging skin is below the shorts line.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby Lauren » May 10th, 2007, 11:30 am

Hey, Grayson! I'd like to walk around in my yard with no shirt on too! Oh, wait, I don't have a yard.

Uh, and I'm a chick, so that's, well, improper! :-)

I totally understand your concerns, and I hope I didn't sound insensitive to them, it stinks to work so hard, do so well, and then be "stuck" with something that's not "perfect." I guess I just wanted you to see the positive side - can't help it, I'm an idealist!

I laughed at your gut and butt comment - mine are like a shar pei - you know those really wrinkled dogs? :-) I always loved those dogs, now, well, it seems they've lost their novelty! haahaa

I really believe if you only have a bit of dimpling and nothing too dramatic, that like the others said, some exercise, resistance training, ab work, etc, could alleviate most of your problems. You may actually be in luck! I, however, am not seeing much bounce back, so I have the plastic surgeons on speed dial!

Congrats again on such a tremendous success, you are rockin', and if you need any guidance when you transition into maintenance, there are many of us here who've recently been down that road!

Cheers!

Lauren
Lauren

Postby Grayson » August 15th, 2007, 7:43 am

So, has anyone had an abdominoplasty recently?

I'm going to the dr. today for an evaluation. I'm planning on having the surgery done in February, but I have some questions he will hopefully answer now that will help me prepare (including, importantly, whether there is anything I can do between now and then to help the surgery be successful).

I bottomed out at 125 lbs lost, and I've started lifting weights quite a bit, so I've gained some weight back. I'm happier with the way I look, however, and should be really happy once I get rid of this (estimated) 6-8 lbs of skin.

Anyone know how much skin weighs, relative to other body parts?
Grayson

Next

Return to Weight Loss