question for people losing more than 100 lbs

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Postby Lauren » April 16th, 2008, 7:00 am

Hey, Grayson and Skye! Great to hear from you both!

Skye, first, I knew from the start of my weightloss with MF that the abdominoplasty was a guarantee as well, I had the "apron" for years and years, and there was absolutely no way it was bouncing back to anything resembling normal! So it's wise for you to set it in your mind as part of your process, as I think that too often people think only of the weightloss as the task and once completed they're "done." Hardly. Whether ppl require or want surgery is one aspect, but there's also fitness, toning, maintenance, wrapping our heads and hearts around this whole new lifestyle, and just figuring out who we are in these new shells. I know people like to think they're going to be exactly the same inside, and they've just changed the outside, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Whether that scares or excites you or anyone else is in the eye of the beholder, but I can say I've experienced both emotions, and continue to throughout this process. Whew. Sorry, tangent! :-)

Grayson, yay! Thanks so much for the detailed reply! And thank you also for the mad compliments to my pics, you made my day! I will look forward to you posting yours as well - whenever you feel comfortable. Meanwhile, I completely understand what you mean about being too thin or filling out more properly now, it's amazing how our bodies adjust and sort of re-adapt to muscle and fat and such. I even find it funny how I can be at the same weight I was a year ago and yet my body has a totally different "look" to it - which is what I think you were saying. Of course a lot of it is your working out/fitness, but I also think our bodies redistributed the weight over time, it's like the bodies "settled in" to the new weight, whereas when we first lost it (so quickly), it just sort of melted off, and we kind of look like melted candles! (um, I did!)

You sound so thrilled with the exercise, which I completely understand, it's an invigorating time, isn't it? By the way, I *think* I may have the exact same type of swelling as you which has left me equally frustrated. I don't have the back swelling, since I didn't do a full body lift, but you mentioned the "very lower abdomen," would it be fair to say we're talking just above the groin area? Because, for me, the drains and major incision were in that area (very very very lower abdomen, if you catch my drift) and I still have swelling there that totally irks the crap out of me too! I'm fine in clothes and such, and perhaps others wouldn't notice too much, but if I'm sporting a bathing suit, it does pouch out a bit. It's gone down SO MUCH, it was really bad, I was joking that if I had an adam's apple, people would be questioning my gender! Now it's more just poofy. My surgeon told me I had to wait out the 6 months as well, and then if it isn't down we'd address it, though he didn't mention the steroid shot - I'll have to ask about that! I don't blame you for wanting it now, if it's such an easy fix, why not just let you have it? Hmmm, curious minds wanna know!

I didn't have the same extent of surgery as you, so I never anticipated being able to "strut my stuff" on the beach post surgery anyway. What I mean is, I didn't get my arms or thighs done, so I certainly don't feel like I now have some terrific bathing suit body. Truth is, while I'd love to not feel self-conscious about those areas, I just remind myself that there are very few people in this world (or at least in the US) who feel good about themselves at the beach. My friends and family are mostly all thin, and they're still trying to cover stuff up, whether it's their belly or their butt or something else, so whatever "issues" I have, they're truly not unique. Besides, I remind myself how far I've come, and purchase cover-ups and such that are cute, and just say "F--k it!" :-)

Anyway, I hope your swelling continues to go down, and I look forward to your ongoing updates, as I promise to keep up on that as well!

Cheers, Grayson!

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Postby Grayson » April 16th, 2008, 11:23 am

Lauren wrote:Hey, Grayson and Skye! Great to hear from you both!

Skye, first, I knew from the start of my weightloss with MF that the abdominoplasty was a guarantee as well, I had the "apron" for years and years, and there was absolutely no way it was bouncing back to anything resembling normal! So it's wise for you to set it in your mind as part of your process, as I think that too often people think only of the weightloss as the task and once completed they're "done." Hardly. Whether ppl require or want surgery is one aspect, but there's also fitness, toning, maintenance, wrapping our heads and hearts around this whole new lifestyle, and just figuring out who we are in these new shells. I know people like to think they're going to be exactly the same inside, and they've just changed the outside, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Whether that scares or excites you or anyone else is in the eye of the beholder, but I can say I've experienced both emotions, and continue to throughout this process. Whew. Sorry, tangent! :-)

Agree with all of this; couldn't have said it better myself. Much like they say dieting is not as much about losing weight as it is about changing your complete lifestyle, you need to be prepared for a complete body change to go along with it. I haven't told many people outside of my family about my surgery, but (once the swelling finally goes down) I'll be wearing my scar as a badge of honor rather than something to be embarrassed about. I figure it'll make a good conversation piece, anyway!

Grayson, yay! Thanks so much for the detailed reply! And thank you also for the mad compliments to my pics, you made my day! I will look forward to you posting yours as well - whenever you feel comfortable. Meanwhile, I completely understand what you mean about being too thin or filling out more properly now, it's amazing how our bodies adjust and sort of re-adapt to muscle and fat and such. I even find it funny how I can be at the same weight I was a year ago and yet my body has a totally different "look" to it - which is what I think you were saying. Of course a lot of it is your working out/fitness, but I also think our bodies redistributed the weight over time, it's like the bodies "settled in" to the new weight, whereas when we first lost it (so quickly), it just sort of melted off, and we kind of look like melted candles! (um, I did!)

Oh yeah, I was looking quite frumpy the day I first walked into my Dr.'s office last August. All my extra skin was so embarrassing, and in the few months right after surgery I still wasn't happy with my appearance, mainly due to the swelling. Now as the swelling is going down and I'm getting in better shape, my body looks so much better even if I am carrying more pounds than a year ago. I think I look pretty darn good right now, actually.

You sound so thrilled with the exercise, which I completely understand, it's an invigorating time, isn't it? By the way, I *think* I may have the exact same type of swelling as you which has left me equally frustrated. I don't have the back swelling, since I didn't do a full body lift, but you mentioned the "very lower abdomen," would it be fair to say we're talking just above the groin area? Because, for me, the drains and major incision were in that area (very very very lower abdomen, if you catch my drift) and I still have swelling there that totally irks the crap out of me too! I'm fine in clothes and such, and perhaps others wouldn't notice too much, but if I'm sporting a bathing suit, it does pouch out a bit. It's gone down SO MUCH, it was really bad, I was joking that if I had an adam's apple, people would be questioning my gender! Now it's more just poofy. My surgeon told me I had to wait out the 6 months as well, and then if it isn't down we'd address it, though he didn't mention the steroid shot - I'll have to ask about that! I don't blame you for wanting it now, if it's such an easy fix, why not just let you have it? Hmmm, curious minds wanna know!

Yes, we're on the same page as far as the swelling goes, although it sounds like mine may be a little higher than yours.. :lol: I checked, and my next appointment is only about 9 days before we leave for Florida, so I may try to bump up the shot a little bit. Given how close he scheduled the shot to my vacation, though, he sounds supremely confident that it's going to go away. I do have a big fear that there is going to be some loose skin around the swelling point even after it goes down. Honestly, that's my biggest concern about the swelling (besides it never going away).

I didn't have the same extent of surgery as you, so I never anticipated being able to "strut my stuff" on the beach post surgery anyway. What I mean is, I didn't get my arms or thighs done, so I certainly don't feel like I now have some terrific bathing suit body. Truth is, while I'd love to not feel self-conscious about those areas, I just remind myself that there are very few people in this world (or at least in the US) who feel good about themselves at the beach. My friends and family are mostly all thin, and they're still trying to cover stuff up, whether it's their belly or their butt or something else, so whatever "issues" I have, they're truly not unique. Besides, I remind myself how far I've come, and purchase cover-ups and such that are cute, and just say "F--k it!" :-)

I didn't have arms or thighs done, just the 360 cut around the middle. Luckily my arms never had a lot of loose skin and they look pretty good now that I've been working out. The only area(s) I'm not happy with now are my thighs, but I figure that part of my body will be covered up anyway, except for certain occasions. :mrgreen: Overall I think I'll be VERY happy once the final swelling goes away. Now I think I'll look better than at least 50% of the people at the beach, instead of worse than 99%!

Anyway, I hope your swelling continues to go down, and I look forward to your ongoing updates, as I promise to keep up on that as well!

Cheers, Grayson!

Lauren

Amen! You too!
Grayson
Regular Member - #120 Club

Postby Diana » May 3rd, 2008, 10:11 am

I can't WAIT to see pictures of you both. I'm so psyched and motivated to get on with my own journey. . .
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby Grayson » May 12th, 2008, 6:33 am

I'm going to the Dr today. I hope to get that "magic shot" that is going to make the swelling disappear in a week. I haven't had a change in the swelling in 2 months so I need some good news. :x
Grayson

Postby Grayson » May 12th, 2008, 10:43 am

Got my shot(s)...scheduled for another one in a week. I'll post updates. I don't feel all that great, so maybe it's working. The Dr seems to think it's no big deal.
Grayson

Postby Unca_Tim » May 14th, 2008, 7:13 am

Hi Grayson,
Hope all works out. You'll be in our thoughts....:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Grayson » May 15th, 2008, 7:22 am

So far I've had minimal reduction in swelling, if any, since I got the shot on Monday. Not happy at all, but I knew it was going to be like this. :x
Grayson

Postby lifelovinaries » May 15th, 2008, 6:43 pm

grayson, we humans are soooo impatient :) Give it a little time, you get another shot this week right? Well maybe your body NEEDS that second shot to see a difference. I hope all works out well for you. Thoughts of your diminished swelling are in my prayers. ;) Take care.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Previous

Return to Weight Loss