Psychological Block!

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Psychological Block!

Postby Kimber » May 2nd, 2006, 11:03 am

Okay gang, I need a little input here. I have realized I am having a complete psychological block. I've been on medifast since Jan. 15th and was doing well (inspite of having stomach problems). I dropped from 229 down to 184 before I started cheating. I realized that I'm afraid to get any thinner! (I know, I know... I need a shrink. But the forum here is the best shrink there is!)

Recently a friend of mine told me he is being sent back to Iraq for a while and asked for a photo to take with him. So I talked my Mom into taking a picture of me the other day and... why am I not surprised..... I think I look the same.

I've lost 40+ pounds, and three dress sizes. Yet in my head, I look the same.

This is why we can't just go on a "diet" but have to learn about who we are, why we are doing this, and how to live with food, and not be controlled by it.

Thanks to all your wonderful posts (though I usually lurk). You lovely men and women help keep me motivated, inspite of myself!
Kimber
Regular Member - #50 Club

Postby falisamarie » May 2nd, 2006, 12:14 pm

I think that many of us will see ourselves as heavy for a while but you are doing the right thing! You KNOW in your head that you have shrunk and eventually that will sink in and you will see it with your own eyes!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Serendipity » May 2nd, 2006, 12:17 pm

Hi Kimber, and welcome to the group.

There are several good books that address the issue of being overweight and how our minds keep us there.

I have only read excerpts of this one, but I've heard great things about it:

"Reprogramming the Overweight Mind", by Kelly Burris.

Another:

"Fattitudes", by Jeffrey Wilbert and Norean Wilbert

You can pick them up at Amazon dot com.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby momof2 » May 2nd, 2006, 1:37 pm

Kimber, I know exactly how you feel! Even though I take new measurements every week and the numbers keep getting smaller and smaller, I think I look exactly the same as I did when I had my second child (170 after I had him). No matter how much I hear "you look so great, blaw, blaw, blaw" we are our harshest critics. Except today... I went clothes shopping and easily put on size 6 pants, which I have not done in over 5 years! And even then I thought, oh they must have bigger sizes or something. I took some pictures of myself before I started and I think I'm going to take some during pics and do some comparison. This way I can SEE the difference since the mirror doesn't seem to show me anything. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?

Started 4/1/06
momof2
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Pashta » May 2nd, 2006, 5:05 pm

Kimber, would you consider posting a before and a during pic of yourself? That will really help put things into perspective for you, plus it will be motivation for everyone here. :)
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Kimber » May 3rd, 2006, 8:49 am

Thanks everyone for the wonderful encouragement and support.

Jo, thank you so much for suggesting those books, I am going to order both today. I really feel it is SO important for us not only overcome our "food addiction" but also to understand what other causes there might be and eradicate our self destructive behavior. (i.e., I work in an environment where meals are constantly being catered for us. WOW! Sometimes it looks sooooo good. I think, "Hmmm one bite of that Chocolate Sin Tart would be lovely!" Then I remember.... I don't even care for SWEETS! Not to mention I usually get nauseous after something like that.)

Momof2 and Tonya, even when I look at photos of me… I still see me at 229 pounds. I will however look to see if I can find a “before” picture. However, like so many others, I’m usually taking the pictures, not in them. (Even now I only have a current picture because my friend leaving for Iraq asked for one to take with him.)

The funny thing is, I’ve haven’t considered myself to have low self – esteem for a long time. I didn’t THINK I hated my body before. I just didn’t like it. However, after reading my posts… it’s amazing what we can convince ourselves of…
Kimber
Regular Member - #50 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » May 3rd, 2006, 11:56 am

Kimber,
I understand EXACTLY what you're going through. When I was getting to my biggest, my brain was telling me "you're not so bad, you're a little chunky, it's okay!"

Then I realized it wasn't okay, I was OBESE! Then my brain realized it and it kept saying, "you're so fat."

I went on MF & started losing. I am down 40lbs now, and I can only see it in my neck and chest. People think I'm crazy, but I can't see it. I just see FAT! I don't see SO MUCH BETTER! People are telling me I look amazing and I'm doing so well, and I'm trying to learn to take compliments.

Since I'm having trouble believing my brain...I believe facts. I believe my measurements changing, I believe the scale and I don't listen to my brain. I will trust my DR and a close friend to tell me when it's time to stop.

We'll get through this!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to Come on in.