Pilates or Weights? HELP!

Fitness and Exercise

Pilates or Weights? HELP!

Postby armeewyf » April 9th, 2005, 10:41 am

All...I notice that a lot of you are into pilates in conjunction with the MF program. ALthough its 3 weeks till I can exercise, I want to be ready! I found a tape online called Pilates for Weight Loss. Is this appropropriate? Also, I already have a Lose Weight with Weight tape. What about that? I just don't want to do the wrong thing and not lose anymore. Which do is the suggestion of the masses? Thanks! Lee Ann
armeewyf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Mrsshrinkinglady » April 9th, 2005, 11:09 am

Lee Ann,
I think you have to give your body some time to adjust to the lower calories. I personally didn't start exercising till about the 10-12 week mark
on the plan.
I am at 25 weeks as of tomorrow and I work out about 3-4 times a week
with a variation of things from weights to walking to riding my bike and all kids of different exercise dvd's . I wouldn't say I am spending more than
probably 45 minutes at 3-4 times a week.
I do have an active job where I stand or walk all day as well.
Hope this helps, but I think you also have to listen to what your body is telling you. Start slow when you are ready and ease into a program especially if you were not working out before MF.
Good Luck!
Shrink aka Mary
Mrsshrinkinglady
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby dlr2424 » April 9th, 2005, 12:12 pm

LeeAnn.....I HIGHLY recommend Pilates..... :yes: ...that is of course after you have waited your allotted time..... ;) ....I waited 4 weeks and I use Winsor pilates.....20 min tape.....someone got me hooked on this last year and I found it so simple and the results so awesome.....it tones and reshapes your body in the best way.... :yay: ...my whole life I have either done aerobics...running...very physical exercise....where pilates is moreso low key but the results far surpassed the other exercise routines I have done.... :exercise: ...you can even get tapes at the library...."Pilates for dummies" ...and try them first...hopefully it is something you will enjoy....good luck
Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby armeewyf » April 9th, 2005, 12:28 pm

Donna--thanks for the input. I didn't even think abt getting something from the library. :roll: I have lost abt 80 lbs on low carb so I already have the flab that needs toned up! Switched because that program is no longer working for me. Today is my day 4 and I can already tell a difference in myself indicating it is working. :D Yeah!
armeewyf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby dlr2424 » April 9th, 2005, 3:38 pm

Leeann....You will be soooo pleased with your MF results.... :bouncie: ....I too did low carb before and it did work...but nothing works as good as MEDIFAST.....the nutrition....education...and support are outstanding.... :yes: ...not to mention you don't have to be an exercise nut........ :roll: ...just a short little stroll will do... :stroll: ...and that's music to my ears... :whistle: ....have a great night.... :wavie:
Donna...dlr2424

There's nothing to great that God won't provide me the strength to endure...all I need to do is ask Him
dlr2424

Postby Nancy » April 9th, 2005, 4:33 pm

Pilates is an excellent choice, IMHO, especially during weight loss. Strength training is also a great choice. Gosh, before Medifast, I absolutely detested exercising. I always have. It was something I forced myself to do when I was in high school and college. When I weighed 265 pounds, every single joint in my bod ached. It was all I could do to mow our yard – it took me the whole week to recover.

One of the things that appealed to me about Medifasting was that I DID not have to sweat to lose weight.  Once I lost my weight, I felt so much better and it was a pleasure to walk, to ride a bike, to exercise. I rather enjoy it now and when I get too busy; my body reminds me to high-tail it to the YMCA.

Just a reminder, Gentle Readers, we are not taking in a lot of calories so do not expect to be able to do marathon training sessions. The idea is to develop or to establish the routine of exercising. Once a person reaches transition and maintenance that is the time to step up the intensity and the duration of cardio exercise.

Another good choice of exercise is water aerobics because it is a way to tone and firm up without impacting joints. Many of us who are overweight can injure our joints if we are not careful. It is always a good idea to check with someone very knowledgeable regarding exercise for people who are overweight.

Terry and I joined the YMCA at the beginning of the year and the staff is great. There are a lot of morbidly obese people who regularly come to our local Y. They begin their program by doing some stretches, riding a stationary bike for two - five minutes; use some free weights for their arms and some weight resistance machines for their thighs and legs. As they are ready, more repetitions are added and they increase the length of time on the recumbent bike.

Many here on the MakeMeThinner Forum have great ideas and have a variety of exercise experiences – the library is a great resource and so are your neighbors or the people in your kids’ carpools, church members, co-workers – ask them what they like or if they have DVDs or VHS tapes they’ll share – it’s nice to try before you buy. I bought the book, Pilates for Dummies – and a DVD at Barnes and Noble.

Remember…slow is the way to go until maintenance. Being consistent is the best exercise you can do!
:weightlift:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby DonicaB » April 12th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Donna I agree, I love Winsor Pilates. Isn't that workout great. At first I thought it seemed a little hard but I just kept trying to get it right. I have been doing it for several weeks now and absolutely love it. I recently tried the AB Sculpting workout which I cannot completely do yet, but I am going to keep trying until I can do the whole workout.:yippee:

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby dlr2424 » April 12th, 2005, 4:43 pm

Donica...I'm a whimp.. :hide: ...I still only do the 20 min workout....maybe once I reach goal I'll shoot for the advanced...... :exercise:
have a great day
Donna...dlr2424

dlr2424

Postby DonicaB » April 13th, 2005, 9:25 am

Donna are you doing the new fat burning series or the old one? A co-worker of mine got the new fat burning series and loves it. I think I may try to add that one this summer after school is out.

I do the old one, by old I mean the series before the new fat-burning ones.

My sister-in-law did the 20 min. work out faithfully for 3 months and I thought she had had a tummy tuck because she has never had a flat stomach before. It really worked for her. Unless of course she really did have a tummy tuck and just lied to me. :nutz:

As soon as my stomach no longer lays on the floor next me, I should be able to do all of Winsor's exercises. :shock: Don't worry you will be move up to the harder stuff.

DonicaB
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby dlr2424 » April 13th, 2005, 9:53 am

Donica...that was pretty funny.... :roll: ......I am doing one of the 3 tape series...20 min w/o...I can do the advanced but I figure .. :huh: ....why kill myself... I've always worked out close to 45 mins or more everyday....so I'm enjoying the advice of..." taking it slow during the weight loss phase"...legal permission to not have to exercise like a mad women... :yay:
Keep shakin
Donna...dlr2424

dlr2424

Postby DonicaB » April 13th, 2005, 11:13 am

Amen to that Donna! To be honest I am not doing it at all right now. I am waiting for the 1st three weeks to pass and then will slowly start to go back to my normal routine.

Anxious to see how pilates changes our shape though.

Keep it up!

DonicaB

PS love your postscript. God is good isn't He!
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » April 13th, 2005, 11:24 am

:scratch: Uh, just wonderin' here...

:devious: does it do anything for FAT HEADS??? :smoke:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy