Finally Tried Pilates!

Fitness and Exercise

Finally Tried Pilates!

Postby Sylvia » September 29th, 2004, 10:10 am

A small victory...

I have been thinking about doing pilates for quite a while. Last year when I was much heavier I bought the Windsor Pilates DVD's. I tried it once, didn't really get the hang of it, and never tried again.

I recently bought "Pilates for Dummies" and something my Mom recommended - "Fat Burning Pilates" and have been looking at them for months now. Well, yesterday was the day. I decided to start with Pilates for Dummies, put it in the DVD player and did the whole thing. Since I've lost so much weight, the exercises were much easier for me so I think I will move up to the Windsor Pilates, but I felt great that I actually motivated myself to get started.

A question - I know some of you do Pilates regularly. How many times a week is optimal?

Thanks,

S
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 29th, 2004, 10:49 am

Sylvia,

I have the 3 set Winsor Pilates DVDs (basic instruction, 20 min workout, and accelerated one). I follow their recommendation and do the 20 min workout 3 times a week.

I too found it MUCH easier to do the exercises after I had lost 25 pounds or so. It's just easier to move and to lift your own limbs when they aren't so darn heavy. I had a really hard time doing the roll ups (the one where you roll backwards into a ball) when I first started but now at 50 pounds lighter, I almost fling myself into a series of backwards sommersaults (sp?) . :lol:

Feel that powerhouse! :yeah:
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Sylvia » September 29th, 2004, 11:09 am

Thanks Camille. I had the same experience with the rollups. Just couldn't roll up before. Had no problem at all yesterday. My main issue is that I'm not flexible - never have been even when thin and in good shape - so some of the ones in the straddle position are really a challenge. I just followed the modified instructions for those with no problem.

Think I'll try the Windsor 20 minute workout tonight. Have you noticed major changes since you've been doing them?
Sylvia

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 29th, 2004, 7:37 pm

I HAVE noticed major changes in my legs, arms, and stomach since I started doing pilates, and I'm not the only one. My friend said to me just the other day how toned my legs are looking. Another bonus is that when I was overweight, my back was always bothering me (my heating pad was like a teddy bear). Pilates has done a world of good in strengthening my back muscles, and I don't need my teddy bear so much anymore!

I'm curious what you think of the 20 minute workout once you have a chance to try it. I too do the modified quite a bit, but am working into the normal positions on many too now that I've gotten stronger.

Your Pilates Pal,
Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Sylvia » September 30th, 2004, 7:04 am

Thanks Camille - good to know that you and others are seeing results! My back still aches - I would have thought losing almost 60 pounds would have helped but obviously I need to work on strengthening the muscles.

Did the Windor Pilates basics DVD yesterday - it is much more difficult than the Pilates for Dummies one I did but I will stick with it and begin doing the 20 minute program now that I have the basics down. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Already feel a little soreness in my lower abs (which need major work), so that is goodness.

S
Sylvia

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » September 30th, 2004, 8:00 am

Good for you Sylvia! As you already know, just a gentle reminder, take it nice and easy. Last thing we want is a pulled muscle. You're still gonna get lots of results doing whatever you can. When I first started, I had to stop and rest without doing all the 8 or 10 reps. Gradually, I worked my way into doing all of them.

Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Carrie » October 13th, 2004, 5:11 am

Ok Ladies,

I got my Pilates DVD yesterday. Were you guys doing this stuff when you were my size????

I watched the introduction and I'm thinkin' I can't get my body to do that stuff! Did you have to do something else until you lost more weight?

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » October 13th, 2004, 4:50 pm

Carrie,

I could do pilates only when I was around 175 and below. Before that, my body was too heavy, and couldn't get into the positions without hurting my back and neck. Walking worked for me in the interim. It's low impact, and really good for you. Someone here suggested getting a pedometer and making sure you take 10,000 steps a day. I opted for walking very fast on a treadmill but only after 8 weeks on MF, and I started with just 20 minute sessions then and worked up to 45.

Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Carrie » October 14th, 2004, 6:22 am

Hi Camille,

Thanks!

I actually tried it last night. Shessh!!! The girl on the tape looks so graceful and effortless and I felt (and looked) like a landed fish flopping around gasping! I was surprised some things I could do, like balance on your butt - I can't believe I did that! But some of the other stuff I definitely couldn't do all the reps, or go all the way, like the rolling up thing.

I think I am going to try to do it every day so I jump start my muscle development, the DVD I bought has several different routines on it.

What benefits have you noticed? Did you become more flexible? (I can't stick my leg straight up in the air) I was surprised how much it's working some of those muscles - muscles I haven't used in a long time!!

Carrie
Carrie

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » October 14th, 2004, 11:38 am

I definitely am more flexible because of pilates. I am toned! My legs are leaner and it was so nice to see that cellulite go away! No more dimples on the thighs. The muscles just smooth out everything it seems. Gives you longer and leaner limbs. Good for you to keep going and do what you can do as far as the positions and reps. It is amazing to see how your body adapts as you lose weight. You'll be able to do more and more and be better and better at it. I took my measurements when I first started pilates, and as soon as I reach my final goal I'll do them again. I really love the low impact of pilates yet you get a great muscle workout. Great for your stomach and back muscles. I seemed to always have back aches after I did anything but not anymore! It's the weight loss but also my back muscles are stronger now!

Go girl!
Camille
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Sylvia » October 14th, 2004, 1:00 pm

I am really enjoying my pilates time (and I can't believe I'm saying that!) I first tried it last year when I weighed about 215 and really couldn't do it well and gave it up almost immediately. WHole different story now. I think you can do it at any weight - you just need to listen to your body and do only what you can comfortably do.

I just started about 3 weeks ago but have already noticed a difference in my waist. My legs are starting to improve a bit. I have not noticed a change in my flexibility yet - I have always been very inflexible and still am - but who knows, maybe it will improve too!

I am also going to start using the "Bottoms Up" book Nelly recommended for upper body stuff and will also try to do some intervals on the treadmill. If I had more time, I could really get into this exercise stuff - makes me feel great!
Sylvia

Postby Nancy » October 25th, 2004, 4:39 pm

Thank you for the great sharing. I have been looking at Pilates tapes and now I am going to get one - after all, Leopard Woman MUST be lithe and supple...

For an old bag, I am rather flexible so I'll let you know how I do!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Carrie » October 26th, 2004, 5:20 am

Nancy,

I have only been doing it for a couple weeks, but I have to say that compared to other exercise, I like it.

I bought a DVD that has a whole bunch of workouts on it, from 10-30 minutes. They 'recommend' 3x a week, but I wanted to jump start my results, so I aim for 5-6x a week, and I *NEVER* skip 2 days in a row.

Don't be discouraged if at first you feel like you can't do it, I know I was taken aback because the people on the TV make it look effortless, and at first I felt like a hooked carp flopping around on the living room floor. I still can't do some of the stuff, but I am amazed by what I *CAN* do, and I can feel it working my muscles.

It's been good for me, give it a try!

Carrie
Carrie

Postby Nancy » October 26th, 2004, 9:25 am

My goodness - a hooked carp flopping around on the carpet, huh? That's a picture all right.

Hmmm...shall I wear a leopardy workout suit and then give the appearance of a leopardess writhing in pain?

I can picture it now, grunts, groans and screeches coming from our bedroom and the boys (Terry and Unca) will think there is a wrestling match goin' on down the hallway.

It will be a hard decision for them to make: to remain comfortably parked in front of the tube watching CNN, ESPN, FOX, the World Serious or trek down the hall and see what that wild and crazy LW has gotten herself into now?

Choices! They are everywhere!

I shall choose the more healthy way and get that DVD and then report back to you.

P.S. I think I shall also pick up a bottle of liniment and a new heating pad, massage roller and hot water bottle...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Sylvia » October 26th, 2004, 4:42 pm

Nancy,

I think you'll really like it. I find it really relaxing and try to do it every day. When I miss a day I really feel like I've missed something. Have even been trying to do it in my hotel room. The problem is that the floor is hard and I have no mt. My back has become a bit bony and it actually hurts from some of the exercises. I think I'll need to do something else until I get home tomorrow night. :lol:
Sylvia

Next

Return to The Gymnasium