Pilates

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Pilates

Postby Dayna » August 2nd, 2006, 4:02 pm

Took my first Pilates class today, using the reformer machine (or whatever it's called) - the little sled thingy with the ropes, and the bar, and all that . . . it was AWESOME!! This is the exercise I've been looking for! I love the stretching, I love that it's going to build strength, and I love that it doesn't make my knees crunch. I love that I'm getting ab work without gazillions of crunches (I don't, in fact, love doing gazillions of crunches). And, all right, I have to be honest, I love the little sled thingy, because it's fun to slide around on it. :mrgreen: I'm finally going to be able to touch my nose to my knee again. Okay, that might take awhile, but I'll get there!! This is it. This is my exercise.

Hurrah!

This probably should have gone in the gymnasium, but it didn't feel as much like an exercise discussion, as it did just a random popping into someone's conversation and making an out-of-the-blue declaration. So here it is. ;)

Hurrah for Pilates!!

*goes to make a shake, and calm down just a bit*
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Sarya » August 2nd, 2006, 4:31 pm

oh oh! I have questions though! I was doing the pilates mat exercises before my birthday, and I was wondering if it could really be worth it to pay for one of their sessions. Was it a private or semi private session? Do you think it was worth the cost? (I'm guessing you do :)) I think they're like $60-75 a session around here unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Dayna » August 2nd, 2006, 4:55 pm

This was semi-private - it's actually a very small class, I think four or five people at a time. There were only two of us there today, though, so it was the perfect situation for the teacher to be able to thoroughly explain things to me and keep an eye on my form.

I did a mat class yesterday, and I did enjoy it, but I LOVED the reformer. In my opinion, it's totally worth it to get a private or semi-private session, to really learn the proper technique. Just the slightest little adjustment in my position completely changed how my muscles were working in the exercise. Had I been on my own, I would never have known that I wasn't doing it quite correctly. I'll actually be doing 4 private sessions with the instructor (to really, really learn the exercise and technique), while continuing to attend this class (twice a week). I have a hunch that I may end up doing ongoing sessions, because it felt so good when I got done, and I've been looking for an exercise system which gives me an intense workout without aggravating my knee or my shoulder (gee whiz, I must be getting old, or something . . .). Like two classes a week, and one private session, or something like that. At this particular gym, you get a package deal if you pay for a month of the class and a block of four private sessions.

All of which is to say, yeah, I think it's worth it; I know these private sessions are going to help me get the most out of the system without injuring myself. Maybe a friend would do it with you, and you could split the cost?

Yay for Pilates!!! (Guess I still haven't calmed down . . . must be the endorphans from the exercise . . .)

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby Sarya » August 2nd, 2006, 5:00 pm

I wonder how well it would work out for me though.. I should probably limit it to one class a week since it's like an hour long? I really would hate to have to wait to do pilates like that til I was in maintenance. I do need to work on that flexibility and muscle tone now or my tumbo tummy is just going to droop and look even worse.
Sarya

Postby Dayna » August 2nd, 2006, 5:05 pm

The class was 50ish minutes long, with lots of stretching at the beginning and the end, so it didn't end up being a solid 45 minutes of intense exercise. My current plan is to have my bar right before I go, and to add an extra shake (6&1, essentially, on the days I work out). I'm going to be keeping a sharp eye on the scale - I'll let you know how it seems to be going.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby Sarya » August 2nd, 2006, 5:07 pm

ok! I look forward to hearing how it goes :) I've always wanted to try pilates.
Sarya

Postby alpha femme » August 2nd, 2006, 5:42 pm

eat your bar an hour before-- maybe 90 minutes for optimal energy.

have fun with your new routine!
Last edited by alpha femme on August 2nd, 2006, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpha femme
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » August 2nd, 2006, 8:23 pm

I've got a home reformer...LOVE IT!

Wish I could fit it in a suitcase...

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to What's Shakin'