Oatmeal Cookies

Add your favorite recipes.

Oatmeal Cookies

Postby Nancy » February 20th, 2005, 8:47 am

:bib: Due to popular demand....

:hmmm: I decided to make a new listing for the Oatmeal Cookies so people can find it easier....

:chef: Yummah Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Cookies :chef:

1 pkt Medifast Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
¼ tsp cinnamon
2-3 packets Splenda sweetener (I prefer 1 packet)
1/3 cup water
1/8 tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla extract

Pre-heat oven to 350°.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Add extract and water.
Stir until moistened.

Set aside for 5-10 minutes to allow ingredients to achieve appropriate consistency. :felix:

Place spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet (spray with Pam or use the Release Aluminum foil) and bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until cookies have browned. You may need to bake them longer, depending upon your personal likes.

I like a skosh of cloves and nutmeg, too.

I also use a bit of Alpine sugar free apple cider mix as a flavoring.

:secret: When experimenting with different Sugar Free DaVinci Syrups,
be sure to include the syrup as part of the liquid or the cookies = pancakes. :flip:
Last edited by Nancy on August 2nd, 2005, 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby jene115 » February 20th, 2005, 9:55 am

I think I may order a box of apple cinnamon oatmeal to make these cookies when I'm craving something sweet. I don't like the consistency of oatmeal, so I don't eat it - ever, but I do like the taste of it.

Thanks for the recipe!
Jen
03/01/08
"I'm stronger than my cravings!"
jene115
Preferred member

Postby monkeymom » February 20th, 2005, 11:52 am

I really enjoy these Jen, and although they are really good fresh and warm from the oven, I pack them to take to work and have with my coffee in the morning. I have also taken them to school with me (nights) and have during class with a coffee or hot tea. Somehow it's just "comfort food" having cookies and something hot to drink, ya know? They are a bit rubbery when they are cold, but the taste is still very good and feels like quite a treat.

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow and having faith that all is going well for you on your beginning this program full force.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby MamaD » February 21st, 2005, 4:42 am

ok....
Let's discuss these cookies.......
I ordered 3 boxes of the apple cinnamon....Lord what was I thinking?? I don't even like regular oatmeal......

but..... I tried the cookies...Now, I am a horrible cook. ....and baking has never been my thing... so...when my cookies turned out like wet chewy sponges I was not surprised. Are they every suppose to crisp up?? The way that everyone raves about them I thought they were going to be the next best thing to Otis~!!~!~!~ Ya know?? I noticed in the thread that someone added both baking soda and powder...I might try that one more time. Otherwise I see it as a perfectly good waste of splenda!!
I used "nancy's" recipe and had my oven on 350. Should the oven be hotter?? Might that crisp those little suckers up ??????

ok that's all...thanks...
Cee Cee
MamaD
Trusted Member

Postby monkeymom » February 21st, 2005, 7:55 am

CeeCee,
I don't know about anyone else, but mine are a bit on the spongy side also. But if you don't like oatmeal, you will probably like making them into cookies better anyway.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom

Postby Guest » February 21st, 2005, 8:13 am

ew------

I don't like the consistancy of the Oatmeal, but the flavor was pretty good.... spongy huh?????? then I guess I did them right

Postby Nancy » February 21st, 2005, 8:44 am

Well, I would say it may be a matter of semantics ...spongy?

I like to think of them as fresh hot CHEWY oatmeal cookies, the kind great, great, great, great Granny might have baked in her wood-fired oven on a cold winter's day on the prairie when she had limited baking supplies on the pantry shelves...

come on, People! Get a grip - these are NOT Otis Spunkmeyer Cookies - they also are not laden with trans fatty acids, calories and are not gonna give you a :heart: heart attack or clog your arteries.

This is just an alternative for making your program interesting and the oatmeal palatable...share the love :hug:

love,

Julia Childs
:flip:
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby kassilou » February 21st, 2005, 10:32 am

Someone had suggested using DaVinci syrup in place of the Splenda, so that's what I've been doing, too. I am now using the maple oatmeal with vanilla and caramel syrups, some cinnamon, and baking soda. No, these cookies will not rival Mrs. Fields, :mrgreen: but being that this is a VLCD, I'm satisified. I also like that they are portable. :lol:
To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.
~Ben Franklin
kassilou
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby itsgonnaworkthistime » February 21st, 2005, 12:14 pm

Hey Kassilou -

I suggested using the syrups but haven't tried it yet. Thank you for letting me know how they turned out. I am going to have to try that this week.

Maura
Start Date: 1/2/2007
itsgonnaworkthistime
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby monkeymom » February 21st, 2005, 1:07 pm

Don't get me wrong Nancy, the "sponginess" doesn't bother me either. I think of them as the chewey ones that you get when you under bake the Toll House cookies just a bit (my favorite way to eat them actually). I just wanted Cee Cee to know that it's not her lack of cooking ability....haha.
I make multiple batches of cookies when I make mine, and pop them in my lunch throughout the week. It's a really nice change up.
Going to try the peanut butter syrup in the next batch.
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom

Postby Nancy » February 21st, 2005, 1:24 pm

Oh, yeah!

Maybe we can call them TROLL House cookies!

Like the little troll that lived under the bridge when the three Billy Goats Gruff trip-trapped across the bridge on their way to the green grassy pasture.

We can pretend that the sponginess is due to the dampness under the bridge - hah!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby monkeymom » February 21st, 2005, 1:49 pm

You are too funny Miss Nancy!! :roflmao:
Vicki
255 - 1/29/08
monkeymom

Postby MamaD » February 23rd, 2005, 12:13 pm

hehe I thought they tasted like the troll that lived under the bridge!!!! Or maybe like something that the troll would of cooked!!!!!

I have been adding more water to the oatmeal and cooking it for breakfast with a shot of davinci's.... and it is actually pretty good. I was also telling nancy that it seems to stick with me longer and I am not as hungry or cravey in the morning!... So I can adjust to anything that takes away my hunger.
MamaD
Trusted Member

Postby Nancy » February 23rd, 2005, 1:59 pm

The oatmeal is low glycemic - people with diabetics can safely use it and therefore, it is an ideal breakfast meal for all of us and a good nightcap.

It is heart-healthy. When you get to weight maintenance you can add a few almonds, which adds some of the 'good fats' to your daily meal plan. I use 6 almonds a day. NUTS! NO Nuts for people on the weight loss plan - just for weight maintenance, Kids.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby raederle » February 23rd, 2005, 2:30 pm

Nancy's right-- these ain't the second coming of cookies, but they're pretty good considering the alternative is NO cookies! ;)

Just wanted to add that I think these cookies take a bit of experimenting to get the consistency right-- try using less liquid (= dryer batter = firmer cookies). They'll never be awe-inspiring, but if you mess around with the recipe a bit (you have 3 boxes to go-- what's to lose? :mrgreen:), you might reach a result you like better. Some of us have come up with a great "silver dollar pancake" version ... ! The possibilities are as endless as your supply of Apple Cin oatmeal! :lol:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle

Next

Return to Lean Cuisine