melamine in MF veg. protein?

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

melamine in MF veg. protein?

Postby petladyinRI » May 1st, 2007, 12:05 pm

In response to info uncovered during investigation of the recent pet food problems, the FDA is now detaining all shipments of a number of vegetable protein sources imported from China.

In a newsletter I receive, validated by a recent article in USA Today, there was the following:

"In an import alert buried deep on its website and just uncovered tonight,
the FDA last Friday expanded its hold on imported foods from China -
ingredients including Wheat Gluten, Rice Gluten, Rice Protein, Rice Protein
Concentrate, Corn Gluten, Corn Gluten Meal, Corn By-Products, Soy Protein,
Soy Gluten, Mung Bean Protein, Soy Bean Meal/Powder/Gluten/Protein Isolate,
Soy Protein Powder, Wheat Gluten, Wheat Flour Gluten, Wheat Gluten, Rice
Protein, Rice Gluten, Rice Protein, Corn Gluten, Milled Rice Products, Amino
acids and protein hydrosylates."

I read the ingredients on a few of my MF products and found soy protein, and corn and wheat gluten. I called Nutritional Support to ask if they knew for sure where the manufacturer obtains these ingredients. I was told, "the product development team is looking into this." When I pressed and asked if they knew for sure that they did NOT come from China, she admitted that NS does not know for sure at this time. I also noticed that someone had brought up the same question on the MF board almost 2 weeks ago. How long does it take to get this information?

I feel fine eating the MF, but I find it more than a little unnerving that, given everything that's been going on for the past month, this issue has not been publically dealt with by MF. Anyone here know anything more?
Sue in RI
"I think I can, I think I can..."
petladyinRI
Trusted Member

Postby Mike » May 1st, 2007, 12:09 pm

I read your post in the Yahoo Business board for Medifast also.
I've heard nothing myself....
Hopefully Dr. A can find out for us. I'll note this for Nancy to check.
:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » May 1st, 2007, 12:10 pm

"Could" be in about 90% of all the processed foods we eat, i guess.

Haven't heard of any probs around here.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby petladyinRI » May 1st, 2007, 12:50 pm

Mike wrote:I read your post in the Yahoo Business board for Medifast also.
I've heard nothing myself....
Hopefully Dr. A can find out for us. I'll note this for Nancy to check.

Nope, that wasn't me.
Sue in RI
petladyinRI
Trusted Member

Postby Mike » May 1st, 2007, 12:54 pm

Oops... sorry, the other person was names Sue also...
Just seemed to much of a coincidence that two ladies named Sue would post questions on the same day regarding the same thing. My bad.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike

Postby Nancy » May 1st, 2007, 1:04 pm

Sorry, I am unable to answer that question for you.

I will see what I can do.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby petladyinRI » May 1st, 2007, 1:14 pm

Mike wrote:Oops... sorry, the other person was names Sue also...
Just seemed to much of a coincidence that two ladies named Sue would post questions on the same day regarding the same thing. My bad.

There are a lot of us around! ;-)
Sue in RI
petladyinRI
Trusted Member

Postby petladyinRI » May 1st, 2007, 1:16 pm

Nancy wrote:Sorry, I am unable to answer that question for you.

I will see what I can do.

Thanks so much, Nancy!
Sue in RI
petladyinRI
Trusted Member

Postby Pashta » May 1st, 2007, 3:59 pm

I saw someone asked this of Nutrition Support a week ago on the official Medifast website and it seems their answer was beating around the bush. :( I'll repost it here, I hope Nancy can get a real answer!

Question: In light of the newest recall and the statements made in the last press release, is Medifast checking their food for this contaminant?

Now it may be in human food:
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/158442.html

Chemical found in state hogs
By Carrie Peyton Dahlberg - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, April 20, 2007

Qoute: Veterinarians and nutritionists said that other potential targets for tampering could include whey protein isolate, soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, soy grits and soy lecithin.

Answer:

Thank you for your question. Melamine has been linked to wheat gluten found in the latest strain of PET FOOD recall incidents. According to the article provided (thank you for your citation) it has also been shown to have been found in some hogs raised in California. Medifast users will be pleased to know that Medifast products do not contain any pork or pork derivatives. I have also contacted our Product Development team for further research on this inquisition and will let you know their response as soon as I do.

Keep up the great weight loss success!
Jessica
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » May 1st, 2007, 4:23 pm

Pashta wrote:I saw someone asked this of Nutrition Support a week ago on the official Medifast website and it seems their answer was beating around the bush.

Qoute: Veterinarians and nutritionists said that other potential targets for tampering could include whey protein isolate, soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, soy grits and soy lecithin.

Answer:

Thank you for your question. Melamine has been linked to wheat gluten found in the latest strain of PET FOOD recall incidents. According to the article provided (thank you for your citation) it has also been shown to have been found in some hogs raised in California. Medifast users will be pleased to know that Medifast products do not contain any pork or pork derivatives. I have also contacted our Product Development team for further research on this inquisition and will let you know their response as soon as I do.

Keep up the great weight loss success!
Jessica

No offense, but I don't see this as beating around the bush.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby Pashta » May 1st, 2007, 5:14 pm

She didn't give an answer except to say that she would look into it. No update and it has been a week so that's beating around the bush to me hehe. ;)

It's buried in the forums now at least 3 pages back, I doubt they will answer it. I could ask them myself and see what they would say but I thought Nancy would get a response quicker.
- Tonia

Pashta

Postby Jan » May 2nd, 2007, 2:24 pm

Hmmm,
I think the MF staff is looking into this as much as possible. Few real answers are available at this time. Not all products are affected so it's hard to figure out what is and what isn't. I think the reference to pork products was due to what seems to be new information regarding "pig chow" fed to pigs. The contaminates were found in some food fed to pigs but not in all "pig chow". I can't recall exactly what state or states were involved. It didn't involve all pigs .. but some.
Most products MF and others contain some of the questioned food substances . but not all the questioned food substances contain the contaminate. It is a very very fuzzy issue at the present time. I think all we can really say is everything possible is being done to clarify the issue.
No one wants any of us to eat anything unhealthy.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Mike » May 2nd, 2007, 3:21 pm

I just checked the Solae website, which, I believe produces Supro, the soy in Medifast. There is a link to a memo regarding this issue. Its a PDF file so I couldn't copy it to put it here. I forwarded it to Nancy.

If you want to check, goto www dot solae dot com slash company slash index dot html. Towards the bottom is a link to get more information.

Basically the memo confirms that all of their soy products used in products outside of China are not from or manufactured in China. It also states that they do not use melanine in any way in its processing of any products or adding to, or feeding to any animals.

This is dated April 30, 2007 and signed by their Director of Global Quality Assurance

Hope this eases people's minds with regard to this issue. I am sure Nancy will respond later.

Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

Mike

Postby Nancy » May 2nd, 2007, 5:31 pm

Mike, I thank you for sharing this valuable and dependable information with us.

As soon as I hear other official information, I will gladly share it with you.

No one is beating around the bush or withholding information. Medifast/TSFL is a small company and each person works to the best of their ability.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Pashta » May 2nd, 2007, 5:47 pm

Hey, I wasn't saying that they don't work to the best of their ability, don't get me wrong! :? I really like that Jessica over there, she answers questions in a direct yet fun manner, she seems rather likeable and I actually complimented the nutrition support team when I did ask a question myself.

That response was a put-off though honestly, and I was just a little disappointed with no update in a week. I have a right to be worried because what I am putting in my body *might* contain something that KILLED pets recently. I said *might*. I want to know the answer as well and I do deserve it since I am a paying customer.

Anyway, I saw that the same poster asked again today with the updated FDA warning about importing from China so I am looking forward to the response.
- Tonia

Pashta

Next

Return to Weight Loss