medifast and pregnant

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

medifast and pregnant

Postby Charity » September 2nd, 2008, 4:15 pm

What's the rule on being on medifast and TRYING to get pregnant?
How about when you find out you are pregnant?

Thanks for your time and wisdom :mrgreen:
Lost 40# last year on MF
Restart date: 3/6/8 5'2"
Charity
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Mike » September 2nd, 2008, 8:01 pm

Trying.. no problem. Once you are, the basic tenet is you never should follow a weight loss program while pregnant. You can still use the products, but you need to up your caloric intake.

;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby supermom » September 2nd, 2008, 10:04 pm

Hey there Charity! I am a nurse, and I just happen to work in a women's center. (ie: Labor and Delivery, mother and infanct care, NICU, gyne surgery and gyne oncology) I pretty much float around. Generally speaking, you should ALWAYS consult your physician before doing any weight loss program. Assuming you have done this already, you should definitely speak to your OBGYN before attempting to get pregnant while on Medifast. While I truly believe that Medifast is a healthy way to lose weight, I also know that there are MANY nutrients that an embryo/fetus needs for proper development early in gestation. Most physicians recommend taking pre-natal vitamins and increasing iron and folic acid intake while trying to get pregnant. All though it doesn't happen with every pregnancy, I have seen the results of not getting proper nutrition during early pregnancy. It is sad and scarey.

I would recommend taking literature to your OBGYN. Take some info on the products, the plan itself and be prepared to answer questions about the plan. See what he/she tells you. And let us know how "things" go!
supermom

Postby Charity » September 3rd, 2008, 12:37 pm

Thank you both :mrgreen: ! I didn't even think to go see her before i got pregnant :oops:
Lost 40# last year on MF
Restart date: 3/6/8 5'2"
Charity

Postby nickieluv » September 6th, 2008, 6:39 pm

I actually had an appointment with my OB/GYN to ask what kind of diet I should follow while pregnant/trying to get pregnant. And he said I should lose all my weight first. So I cancelled the appointment - I didn't need to hear that I was too fat to have a baby!

I was off-plan for about a month before conceiving I think - hard to remember that far back - but I think to play it safe you might want to go 3&3 or something while TTC - it could be 2-4 weeks before you know you are pregnant and you wouldn't want to be deficient in anything during that time. Also, I think it's a good idea to start taking the prenatal right away, even before you are pregnant.

Good luck on this wonderful adventure!
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Return to Come on in.