Pregnant eating advice

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Pregnant eating advice

Postby summergirl » April 30th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Hi guys! I wanted to see what kind of advice you folks might have for me... I recently found out I'm pregnant and am trying to figure out a good plan for my eating. Today, I did the 5 and 1. I had a salad for lunch with chicken. For dinner, I had my chicken noodle soup and added some veggies, as well. I also had about 1/2 cup of whole grain pasta w/ sauce. I feel like I certainly need to eat more to make sure the baby is getting what it needs, yet at the same time, I fear inflating back up to my beginning weight in NO TIME if I'm not careful transitioning... I'm looking for input and advice. Both yesterday and the day before I was flat out starving all day. Even during and after each of my meals. That was my first clue that maybe I should be eating a little more.

I really wanted to try to keep on the 5 and 1 for a few more weeks, but I felt like my body was telling me to eat something more, over the past few days. I'm going camping this weekend and look forward to going for walks and bike rides while we're gone! :mrgreen: Also, I will continue eating my 5 mf meals daily, but need to know opinions on "What to add".

Thanks, in advance for reading this. I'm really struggling... :(
summergirl
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby cydj21 » May 1st, 2008, 6:40 am

Hi Summer! Having not been pregnant before myself, I'm probably not the best to give advice, but it seems like maybe a 6/2 program would be appropriate, largely keeping the 2 L/G meals lean, but incorporating more food throughout the day. I wouldn't be focused on weight loss right now, but transitioning makes sense. Maybe try that and see how your hunger level feels and reevaluate from there. :D
Last edited by cydj21 on May 1st, 2008, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyd
Highest Weight - 271lbs in 2006
cydj21
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby DogMa » May 1st, 2008, 7:12 am

I've never been pregnant, but this REALLY sounds like something you should discuss with your doctor.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby katieb920 » May 1st, 2008, 7:21 am

I do agree with Robin. I think you should talk to your doctor. You would not be having enought calories in the day.

How are you feeling today?
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Mike » May 1st, 2008, 8:50 am

First things first, the 5+1 is contraindicated for anyone who is pregnant. You just aren't to do such a low calorie program while pregnant or nursing...
that said, talk with you Doctor. You can still use the products as healthy snacks, but not the weight loss program.

This is taken directly from the Medifast Common Questions (something everybody on this program should be familiar with):

What conditions would absolutely PROHIBIT my use of a low calorie diet such as Medifast?

Myocardial Infarction (MI) / Heart Attack within previous 3 months (unless cleared by a cardiologist)
Recent or recurrent CVAs and/or TIAs (stroke); uncontrolled seizures
Unstable angina; clotting disorders
Type 1 Diabetes (can be used for improved nutrition or weight maintenance but is not recommended for a weight loss program; can add Medifast Meals to regular dietary intake)
Severe liver disease (may require a low protein diet)
Severe kidney disease
Active peptic ulcer disease
Active cancers
Active thrombophlebitis (DVT/PE within 3 months)
Pregnant or lactating
Eating disorder (e.g., Anorexia Nervosa or Bulimia)
Severe psychiatric disturbance (history of major depression and/or suicide attempts)
Corticosteroid therapy >20 mg/day
Chronic illicit drug usage; addictions; alcoholism; substance abuse
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby summergirl » May 1st, 2008, 9:35 am

I don't get to see my doc until May 19th, so it's a ways out. I'm just struggling with what to do "right now". I feel confident with using MF products for snacks, but I worry about gaining if I just "go off plan" totally without transitioning.

Thanks for the responses. I am very concerned about the health of the baby, as well as myself and I'm trying to be cautious not to do anything unhealthy...

But, already I've gained back a couple pounds just by adding some small things to my diet... :cry:
summergirl

Postby Unca_Tim » May 1st, 2008, 10:09 am

Hi Summer,
Give our nurse a call at:
(877) 270-5704

....or email at:
nurse at tsfl dot com

I know my niece continued using Medifast products during pregnancy, but you will have to increase your calorie intake.
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby summergirl » May 1st, 2008, 1:42 pm

Unca_Tim wrote:Hi Summer,
Give our nurse a call at:
(877) 270-5704

....or email at:
nurse at tsfl dot com

I know my niece continued using Medifast products during pregnancy, but you will have to increase your calorie intake.

Thank you so much for this information! I will email right now!

Much appreciated :D
summergirl

Postby lifelovinaries » May 1st, 2008, 2:00 pm

WHAT?! :shock: PREGNANT?! :shock: :shock: :shock: oK, i have stayed away for toooo long! CONGRATS! I am missing out on too much. :roll: I have to find a way to stick this forum into my schedule a little more often.

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Return to The Weight Room