Medifast and Pregnancy

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Medifast and Pregnancy

Postby nickieluv » June 2nd, 2007, 10:24 am

Hi -

This was brought up in another thread but I wanted some more info.

I know you cannot "do" MF while you're pregnant, but if you were on it and then discovered you were pregnant, would there be any harm? We're talking 2-3 weeks between conception and finding out. Then, if you were pregnant, would you have to just quit MF altogether or could you follow a transition/maintenance plan while pregnant?

I'm a long way from this point but just wondering. I may not reach goal by the time my biological clock wants me to mommy-fy myself and I don't want to undo everything by gaining 70 pounds while preggers. I think 20-40 is the recommendation now?

Also - what about MF while breastfeeding? Could you do a lower-calorie maintenance plan? When is it safe to start up again?

Those of you who 'know' me pretty well know I like to plan ahead and have all my ducks in a row....
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Mike » June 2nd, 2007, 10:32 am

Okie dokie. Here is what I know.
Its fine to become pregnant while on Medifast (it happens - my sis in law is an example).

Once you know you are pregnant, your doctor will most likely advise you to not be on a weight loss program while pregnant. There is nothing in the products that are dangerous while pregnant. You just don't want to be on such a low calorie eating plan while you are pregnant. You can still use products as healthy snacks while you are pregnant.

Now, regarding breast feeding. One of the contraindications for this program is breastfeeding. My understanding of this has to do with soy, although I'm not a doctor, but I believe that this is the primary reason. You may be able to have the non-soy products as healthy snacks.

Hope this helps. ;)
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Tawanda » June 2nd, 2007, 12:55 pm

Nickie, I have had 3 g'kids born in the past year so I asked their moms about this. 25-35# is what is suggested unless a person is overweight to begin with and then the recommendation for weight gain is less. When I had my children I gained 35# with one and had a heck of a time getting that extra 10# off, then with my second child I gained 24# and got all of it off without trouble. I think anything over 25# is just 'weight gained' and not tied to the baby & the extra fluids/tissues that your body needs during the pregnancy for the baby. So, if you are careful about choosing food wisely and don't just take pregnancy as a license to eat then you should not be having to fight to take off any extra weight over what you weighed when you got pregnant.

Now, I am not a doctor and I don't play one on television either......just what I know from working with doctor's, being a mom and talking with my kids. Your mileage may vary. ;)
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby nickieluv » June 2nd, 2007, 4:12 pm

Well, my first (and only pregnancy) I was over 260 when I started, and lost weight in the first 6 months, then gained some back in the last trimester for a grand total of only 10-15 pounds gained. I ate much less - and much more quality foods, hardly any junk, because I knew what I ate would fuel my baby's growth. And on a topic that Lauren just brought up, since I was eating for 2 I did not feel compelled to hide my eating, which took the shame and blame out of it. So I am confident that I can handle it with a healthy gain.

I didn't know about the breastfeeding thing - thank you, Mike. I will be sure when the time comes to talk with my doctor. So it sounds like I should go up to a maintenance plan, if I'm not there already when the blessed event begins.

I'm not PLANNING anything, but accidents happen especially when you feel attractive again, if you know what I mean.... ;)

Thanks for the input!!
nickieluv
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Return to Weight Loss