Martha ~ Hurricane Territory

Meet Terry and Nancy.

Martha ~ Hurricane Territory

Postby Nancy » August 28th, 2005, 10:07 pm

Hello MakeMeThinner Family ~

I just want you to know that I called Martha's home about 5 PM Pacific Time hoping to contact Martha before she evacuated for good. I left a message and bless her heart, she returned home to gather a few more belongings and her Dutch Choc shakes....checked her voicemail and returned my call.

It took her a great deal of convincing to get her mother packed up and moved out - her Mama was being a bit of a donkey-heart and truly not willing to leave their double-wide mobile home. Our precious Martha packed up Mama's oxygen tank and her portable O2 tank, etc. and got her situated. As we were talking, we lost the telephone connection; Martha was able to call me again. She said the lights were flickering and the winds were beginning to pick up. She does not have a generator and her mother requires O2 24 hours a day.

Martha truly needs our prayers. As you know, she has been ill, her husband Doug is currently in Texas, off the river and in a seemingly safe place. All flights are cancelled to her area and Doug is unable to get to Martha at this time. She told me that she has been through hurricanes before – in the 60’s and most recently Andrew. This sweet little gal was getting the email addresses and grabbing last-minute birthday information regarding her friends here at the MakeMeThinner Forum – talk about devoted…

As she is able, she will give me a call and let me know how she is faring and I will keep you informed. Her cell phone battery will be precious as electricity may not be available to keep her phone charged.

May God bless our Martha and all who live in the area!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Lisa in NY » August 29th, 2005, 5:15 am

Thanks for the update Nancy. How nice of you to check on her. I'm sure it helps Martha to know that her MMT family is thinking about her.

Lisa
"Life's more painless for the brainless"...Scarecrow in WICKED
Lisa in NY
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Carbshateme » August 29th, 2005, 5:35 am

Martha is such an angel and is always saying so many uplifting things to everyone on the boards. I'll be thinking of her and her family and hoping for their safety!

Take care Martha and hurry back to us soon!
Carbshateme
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Postby ladyhawke » August 29th, 2005, 5:56 am

Dear Nancy leave it up to you to be there when we need you, Martha if you can read this we are praying for New Orleans here in Fla.
Please get out of there if you can or get to the safest place you can.
ladyhawke
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby LuzInIt » August 29th, 2005, 6:48 am

Thank you so much for calling Martha. I thought she'd be long gone and never tried to reach her but have been so concerned all weekend. If you've been watching the weather news this morning, Biloxi MS is taking the direct hit today. Martha's town of Wiggins has been showing up on the news maps (just above Biloxi) - pray not only for her, but for her kids and grands in the area, and also for their property. What a scary thing! We also have friends in the Mobile AL area. It's been a intense praying weekend for us. Thanks again Nancy for the report. I'm so glad to know Martha went to shelter and also that Doug wasn't off the Mississippi shoreline in his tug boat, where I had pictured him. A real relief.
Linda - Started MF 3/22/05

340/328/210/150
130 Pounds Gone For Good -
Thank you Medifast!
LuzInIt
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby doglover » August 29th, 2005, 7:19 am

Our thoughts are prayers are with Martha and all other residents in Katrina's path. Thanks for the note Nancy.
Donna - frequent flyer to FL!
Feb 7, 2005 start date
176/150/150 - made it in 9 weeks! 26 lbs off!
150/139.5/140 - made it in 8 1/2 more weeks! 36.5 lbs off!
144/143/135 - new and last goal! Maintaining for now in 2006
doglover
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby 24KaratGold » August 29th, 2005, 7:22 am

Adding my thoughts and prayers for Martha and her family. Martha's been so good to me, and so obviously good to others on this forum. I hope she will be okay, and that she will have a home to go to when the storm passes.
270/186.5/160

24KaratGold
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby sprgrammy » August 29th, 2005, 8:12 am

Thanks Nancy for keeping us posted. Martha is such a gem and my prayers are with her and her family and of course all of those who are affected by this hurricane. Blessings to all of you, Carol
sprgrammy
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » August 29th, 2005, 8:13 am

I haven't heard anything from Martha yet but thought I'd let you know what I know.

Her town of Wiggins is 30 miles from Gulfport and 35 miles or so from Biloxi..

She had to take several trips from her double-wide home to her son's with her Mama's medical equipment - breathing machine, walker, wheelchair, etc. so I suspect that her son might live fairly close to Wiggins since Martha had traffic to deal with as well as the miles to traverse.

Biloxi is getting hammered...
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby ljm498 » August 29th, 2005, 9:25 am

Nancy, thanks so much for keeping us up to date. My prayers are with Martha. Hopefully she and her family, as well as everyone else dealing with this are safe.
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

reMarkable Martha!

Postby Lynzi » August 29th, 2005, 7:12 pm

God Bless remarkable Martha :heart:
and All who live in the area.
Lynzi
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » August 29th, 2005, 10:30 pm

Folks, I haven't heard nary a word from Martha yet. :?

My IPaq died Saturday :x :twisted: and I am awaiting delivery of a new one - for those of you non-techy techs it's my phone-computer thingy. Unca pointed my personal 800 line to my husband's phone so that I wouldn't miss her (or any of you!) should we hear any news of her whereabouts. I was gone nearly all day today but I kept the phone in my pocket. I promise to keep you apprised of anything I hear about Martha.

I did speak to a fellow Health Advisor near Atlanta this afternoon and she said they have had rain and blustery winds but nothing :twisted: .
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby fatBgone » August 30th, 2005, 5:51 am

Nancy - thanks for keeping us up to date as much as you are able. I've been thinking about Martha yesterday and all through the night. I think someone here is also from New Orleans too - but I can't remember who??? I have 2 uncles and an aunt who live in Biloxi and they are uninjured - however one of their homes was compeltely destroyed. They said only the back wall was left standing and the devastation is just horrible - but we already know that by watching the news. The house they lived in was built in 1908 and was a historical landmark - so it's pretty sad that it is gone now - but on the upside - the insurance will help them build a new home. I know my aunt had the house filled with all sorts of irreplaceable antiques though - but at least they are still alive. The death toll is rising every time I watch the news. Last night - it was at 55 and now this morning they are saying it is 80 and expected to rise. I'm praying for good news from Martha and any other of our Medifast family & will check in to see if you've heard anything. Actually, we all need to keep everyone in these devastated communites in our prayers!!
Lisa
fatBgone
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » August 30th, 2005, 9:22 am

Lisa, we are thankful to hear that your family is safe. Whew!

I tried to reach Martha several times last evening and again this morning but keep getting a recording, "All circuits are busy now. Try your call later..."
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Ash's mom » August 30th, 2005, 11:57 am

Hey Nancy.....thx for looking out for our precious Martha.

I too had been receiving the same message when trying to call my sister and the rest of my family in Louisiana yesterday. Apparently there are so many people trying to use the phones along with down power lines and such that getting through is very difficult. I did finally get through yesterday evening to find out that all is well. Luckily they are 1 1/2 hours North/West of New Orleans and were spared any devastation.

I know you will keep us up to date as soon as you hear from her.

-Heather
Ash's mom
Regular Member - #20 Club

Next

Return to A Message from your Hosts