Making the shakes taste better

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Making the shakes taste better

Postby forevertodds » December 30th, 2005, 12:55 pm

Hi guys!!

I have been reading as much as possible here on the forum to help answer any questions and I noticed that some people add syrups or extracts to their shakes to help with the flavor.

I really do not like the flavor of the shakes and I ordered the variety box to start with so some really need help IMO. Is it okay to use extracts, like you use for cooking, in the shakes. I tried checking the box, but there is no nutritional info on them. Also, where do you purchase the flavored sugar-free syrups I keep reading about.

I also would like to know more about adding diet sodas to the shakes, do you mix them with the soda, or just add a bit for flavor??

I need to loose like 150LBS, so I don't want to add anything I shouldn't, I want to get some serious weight off!!!

Thanks,
Kathy
forevertodds

Postby mama2benandrachel » December 30th, 2005, 3:03 pm

Hi Kathy and welcome!

I buy DaVinci sugar free syrup on ebay. The seller is moonmama_99. She sells them for $4.75 per bottle if you buy a case of 12. You can email her the flavors that you would like. I LOVE the carmel flavor in cappuccino, I add butter rum to the vanilla shakes and cinnamon and nutmeg too. Yes, the syrups help! I also add instant decaf coffee to the dutch chocolate. It's kind of like an iced mocha.

Hope these ideas help!
Take care and God Bless,
Judy <><

1st MF start: 9/9/2005
1st restart: 10/16/2006
2nd restart: 9/9/2007

mama2benandrachel
Preferred Member - #10 Club

I tried the cookies

Postby forevertodds » December 30th, 2005, 3:18 pm

And they were not as I was hoping :( ! I think I just need to find a few flavors of shakes that I can work with and go from there. I do like the chocolate ones, so maybe I'll just play with the flavorings.

BTW-- is adding extracts ok???
forevertodds

Postby ljm498 » December 30th, 2005, 3:47 pm

Hi Kathy. Yup, extracts are fine as is diet soda. Be careful when mixing with the soda though, DO NOT SHAKE. It WILL explode and go all over the place. I know this from experience :lol: As do others here, I'm sure. If I'm remembering correctly, you should put the soda in the blender and then add the powder. I haven't done it in a long time so, if anyone here sees something I'm missing, please pipe in. You can use the whole can of soda as long as it is sugar free.

Good luck!
Lynne

Me 34
DH 41
DS 1
Dcats Pookie & Poto

Started 3/28/05
Starting Weight 214.5
Current Weight 125
Goal Weight 115-120
Total Lost 89.5 lbs!!! Wahoo!!!
ljm498
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Nancy » December 30th, 2005, 4:17 pm

Hi, Kathy ~

Welcome aboard! So thankful others jumped in an answered for you - I started to reply and then got busy here blabbing it up with a friend and my post timed out. So...I am starting over again...

:shock: What? You do not LIKE the taste of our shakes??? :huh:

Well, it can take some getting used to the taste. I didn't care for the taste in the beginning either and mixed mine in the blender for over a year before I ventured back to try one in the shaker jar.

There are tons of shake recipes and ideas in our webroom called The Lean Cuisine. Be sure to check it out. http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/medifast-16.html

Before I answer your questions, please know that if you are making your shake in the Fast Shake Shaker Jar, they taste best if you can hold off for :whistle: :walk: 10 minutes before slurping your shake - put it in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes, it allows the flavors to develop more and it will thicken up considerably and taste MUCH better. :tongue:

Is it okay to use extracts, like you use for cooking, in the shakes.

Yes, you may use extracts such as Vanilla, Almond, Peppermint, Orange, Root Beer, etc. One thing I might mention – extracts are highly concentrated so be very careful when you add them – I suggest that you do not pour the bottle directly over your shake – pour first into a teensy measuring spoon like a 1/8th size and then add a squinchy of it to your shake. You can wipe out your sinuses if you use too much peppermint or spearmint extract…you can always add a snort more if the flavor is not as intense as you like but it is pretty hard to remove it if you get too much. :couch:

tried checking the box, but there is no nutritional info on them.

:shock: Hmm...that seems weird-oh-lah to me. All my boxes have a nutritional panel on them. The packets do not have the nutritional info but the box does – it is required as all of our products are manufactured in a FDA inspected facility and the law requires the label to include every speck of ingredients. What nutritional value do you wanna know about?

Also, where do you purchase the flavored sugar-free syrups I keep reading about.

I prefer the DaVinci® brand sugar free syrups. Torani and Monin also make sugar-free syrups. There are a lot of comments in the Lean Cuisine webroom about the syrups and also in other postings woven throughout our Forum. You may use the “Search” button located on each page here by doinking on the clicky button and type in the word syrup and see whatcha find. DaVinciGourmet dot com is their official website but you can search around for them. We buy them at TJ Maxx and at United Grocer’s Cash & Carry Outlet here in Vancouver, WA.

I also would like to know more about adding diet sodas to the shakes, do you mix them with the soda, or just add a bit for flavor??

Yep, you mix the shake packet with the diet pop. Put the pop into a blender or a large container (you must allow for fizziness and fluffing!), stir the packet of shake mix into the diet pop. ljm498 is SO RIGHT! DO NOT :toast: shake it up - you will have a volcano goin' on in your kitchen....I prefer it made in a blender with crushed ice – again…go to the Lean Cuisine for more ideas. Also read my Newsletter Archives for shake mixing ideas.
need to loose like 150LBS, so I don't want to add anything I shouldn't, I want to get some serious weight off!!!

Little Darlin’ this program works so well and you will be able to rapidly and safely loose that :whip: serious weight. We will enjoy watching you melt away and grow healthier at the same time!
:byebye:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Thanks!!

Postby forevertodds » December 31st, 2005, 10:52 am

Thanks for all the encouragment and helpful info...

Nancy, Silly LW, I didn't mean there wasn't nutritional info on the medifast products, I was talking about the extracts!!! :mrgreen:

It's not that I dislike all of them, I do like the chocolate, and I found that if I use a straw, they are much more paletable. I guess the aroma from some doesn't agree with me.. Anyway. I did find the Lean Cuisine section and have read up and I also have been reading the newsletter archives.

I do think it will just take a little time to adjust, part of this is probably just my flesh wanting food. But, I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I just keep reminding myself that this is worth every moment!!! I look forward to the day when I can be an inspiration and encouragment to someone else.

I'm going to try the rootbeer float for my last shake of the day today!!!

Thanks again for all your time...

Have a Happy and Blessed 2006!!!
Kathy
Started 12.30.05
forevertodds

Postby Nancy » December 31st, 2005, 12:07 pm

You are so welcome!

Hey, Kath ~ I can totally understand what you mean about the oh-dou-uhr of the shakes...my nasies revolted, too! My personal adorable little beak could not tolerate the smell of the shakes either so I HAD to have mine made in the blender. I would put the water in the blender, hold my breath, dump in the packet and go away while it swirled and became creamy and smooth. I returned two minutes later, added the crushed ice and like you, found that sipping with a straw and putting it into a container with a small opening helped me tremendously. Once I began to lose weight, I thought the smell was good - it mean I was becoming a loser! It was the sweet smell of success!

Adding a snort of the peppermint extract or instant coffee also helped to perfume the shake.

Keep reading, Little Darlin' as there is so much juicy info to be learned.

signed,

Silly LW
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Shakes

Postby Jan » December 31st, 2005, 1:49 pm

Hi Kathy,
My taste buds are not tooooo discriminating. Probably from years of climbing through my cupboards seaching out something to eat "right now" when I finally thought about eating at 3:00 pm. When you are starving most anything tastes good and of course you don't make the best choices.( Hence my weight gain.) Soooo the shakes tasted just fine to me. But I did decide to try peppermint extract one day. I know you've been cautioned before but BE Careful. I added a splash of peppermint to my chocolate shake and there was no way I could even begin to drink it. Ohhhhhh yipes My iron clad stomach hubby came it and thought he could drink it. Hmmmmm it went down the garbage disposal. But I must say my garbage disposal did smell really wonderful for a few days.
Extracts do wonders to liven up the shakes!! Just be careful. I love almond extract in the chocolate shake.
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Thanks

Postby forevertodds » December 31st, 2005, 5:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I tried a tiny bit of lemon extract in the French Vanilla this afternoon and LOVED it. It tasted just like uncooked cake mix (don't ask me how I know) :oops: . Anyways, I plan to purchase more of the vanilla, I think you have a little more play room there without adding things you shouldn't.

Thanks for all the encouragement. Today is day two and it has not been fun, but I keep remember all the stories I've read and know it will be worth it very soon.

Have a Blessed and Happy New Year!!!
Kathy
Started 12.30.05
forevertodds

davinci syrup

Postby TN Mom » December 31st, 2005, 6:14 pm

I bought two bottles today at my local Walmart. $3.50 a bottle.
TN Mom

Postby Nancy » January 1st, 2006, 12:57 pm

Wow! That's a great price!

That Wally World - they have everything, don't they?

That is, IF you can get in the door. Sheesh! The one in our neighborhood is always packed out. If I go there, I wait until it is late or go very early in the morning and since this Leopard Woman prefers to stay up late at night and linger under the sheets in the morning, I go about 10:30 PM and can actually stop and park in the aisles and look at things without getting rammed in the back of my ankles or having my toes run over.

I hope that you enjoy your DaVinci syrups – they are also good added to oatmeal and to puddin’. Happy shaking and water slurping to you!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby cynben » January 10th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Can you use extracts and /or syrups if you are a diabetic? This is my first post and I am VERY nervous about beginning this program. Also, can you use any type of salad dressing on your "lean and green" salad? I have so many questions...I hope you all don't get sick of me. I am going to need a LOT of support. This is life or death for me right now.
cynben
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Syrups

Postby Jan » January 10th, 2006, 1:15 pm

Hi Cynben,
As long as the syrups are sugar free I think they'd be fine in the diabetic shake ( Nancy will come right along and correct me soooooon if I'm wrong :mrgreen: ) As far as the salad dressing goes make sure and use one that is low fat and low in carbs as well. Walden Farms makes some that are pretty good. Nancy did post the exact numbers but unfortunately I can't remember them exactly and don't want to guess ( Where is my medimemory ????? :mrgreen: )
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby Nancy » January 11th, 2006, 12:31 am

Cynben ~

Welcome to you! It sounds like you are doing your best to check out everything to get off to a great start.

Many grocery stores carry a wide variety of salad dressings now and the calorie and carbohydrate ranges can vary considerably among brands as well as dressing types.

It is really important to select a dressing that is low in calories as well as carbohydrates. My husband loves Kraft Catalina dressing and he was so proud of himself when he found a bottle of FREE Catalina and slathered his salad in it.

The front of the bottle says, "Fat Free Dressing."

We turned the bottle over and read the label:
Serving Size 2 Tbsp
Calories: 50
Fat Calories: 0
Total Carbs: 11

The front of the bottle of my dressing also says “Fat Free Dressing” but the back of the label of the Bernstein's Fat Free Cheese & Garlic Italian dressing lists the contents as:

Serving Size 2 Tbsp
Calories: 10
Fat Calories: 0
Total Carbs: 2

Both dressings are labeled as "Fat Free" but there is a big difference in the nutritional values of their contents.

In general the vegetable portion should be no more than 80 calories and 10 grams of carbs total.

That would mean the two cups of salad greens, and up to 1/2 cup of additional salad 'toppers' such as tomato, cucumber, radishes, etc. and the salad dressing combined should be in the range of 80 calories and 10 carbs.

Many foods that are labeled 'fat free' are actually thickened with corn syrup.

Now before we purchase we sing,
“Mabel, Mabel, set the table,
Don’t forget to read the label!”
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby cynben » January 11th, 2006, 8:53 am

Thanks guys! I am really excited about getting started. I hope I don't wear you all out with my questions. I am just determined to lose the weight this time.

I have been reading a lot of the posts and it looks like this is a VERY supportive place to "live". I am looking forward to it.
cynben
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Next

Return to Weight Loss