Maintenance Tools

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Maintenance Tools

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » November 29th, 2004, 11:04 am

In transition now, soon I'll be on the Maintenance Highway. For those who are well travelled there, what do you use to educate yourself on calories, carbohydrates, and fat content? Do you carry a little book that has all the different foods with their numbers?

Also, as for journaling, what do you use? Do you carry it with you and note what you eat right afterwards, or do you do it all later that night?

I'm just looking for some guidance so I can get my maintenance plan ready to go when the times comes. Any advice is appreciated.

Mahalo,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Sylvia » November 29th, 2004, 2:41 pm

Camille,

I am struggling with the same thing. I actually joined Weight Watchers because it provides a structured program. I haven't really decided if it is something I want to do long term but I have been trying to use the plan so far.

I have also heard a lot of good things about a program called BalanceLog which has a huge database of food items and helps you track and understans your calories eaten as well as the calories you are burning. Since it is a computer program, the only way to make it user-friendly is to use it with a Palm Pilot so it is transportable.

Let me know what other alternatives you find and what you decide to do. We'll figure out a way to muddle through this together!

S
Sylvia

Postby Nancy » November 29th, 2004, 7:01 pm

I do have a little calorie/carb/ booklet - The Doctor's Pocket Calorie Fat & Carbohydrate Counter Plus Fast-Food Chains & Restaurants. It also contains brand name processed foods. I don't carry it with me any more but I used to.

I have a little calendar daytimer/notebook and I record my weight, BMI and anything unusual about my daily food input.

For example, if I eat anything that I do not normally eat, I write it - example: 3 oatmeal cookies. Went to lunch @ Shari's w/Mom. Had Lemon Dill Salmon."

When I first began maintenance, I carried my notebook with me and I used the notebook to list the food at the time I ate it - I did not want to rely on my memory at the end of the day and I felt it was helpful "to write it before I bite it" and that helped me to keep clean and honest.
Last edited by Nancy on November 30th, 2004, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Crystal » November 30th, 2004, 12:52 pm

Camille,

I have been using a program called Dietpower, and find it very simple to use. You can also enter your own recipes and exercise programs into the database. I have even been able to enter my medifast products to make tracking things even easier. It comes with a free trial so you can see if it will work for you. The download is available at <snip>no urls - Mr. Snippy</snip>

Crystal

<comment>click Crystal's PM button and ask for URL - UT</comment>
Crystal
Crystal
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby hawaiiwhatnot » December 13th, 2004, 12:39 pm

Thanks for the tips gang.

Got the little pocket book you recommended above Nancy. EXCELLENT resource!

Also bought a 2005 tiny appointment book to fit in my purse to write down my daily food intake once I start maintenance. I think I'll just track my calories and carbs this way using the portable processor inside my noggin (although it's pretty much in need of an entirely new hard drive with MORE memory and faster processing speed). ;)

Next, I'm off to learning how much exercise, calories, carbs and percentage of fat I should intake daily in order to maintain my weight. I'll share my findings here later.

On a mission of transition,
Camille
Jun 1, 2004 Start Date 5' 6" 195 lbs
Jun lost 20#=175#
Jul lost 14#=161#
Aug lost 7#=154#
Sep lost 13#=141#
Oct lost 12#=129#
Nov lost 4#=125#
70 lbs in 5 1/2 mos!
Hello Victoria's Secret! I did it! July 2005 still 125 lbs!
hawaiiwhatnot

Postby Sylvia » December 13th, 2004, 2:29 pm

Camille,

You might also take a look at the book, "The Step Diet". The diet part is interesting but what I found helpful is that there are detailed charts that help you to determine the balance of eating and exercise you need to maintain a given weight. It is one of the only places I've seen that really helps to break down the food/exercise tradeoff.

Happy transitioning!

S
Sylvia

Postby Nancy » December 14th, 2004, 5:51 pm

Hey, Slender and Healthy Maintenance Friends ~

I just wrote about this in the December 2004 Newsletter (yeah, yeah, I know...I am SO late in getting it done. Sorry, Kids...) but I ordered and received "My Daily Journal." Some kind of a skanky Health Advisor I've been to just now order this great tool. Wish I had it in my grubby little hands two years ago...

It is designed for Losers and Maintainers alike. It has room for two weeks journal entries, checklist for water and meal replacements and exercise notations. Weigh cool - and just $2.95. I'd suggest ordering one when you place your next order and see how you like it. It includes a short listing of food exchanges in the back.

Another reminder is to consider the Take Shape shakes - they are ideal for maintenance - creamy and delish! They have 180 calories per shake.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Maintenance