Where are the ones on maintenance

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Where are the ones on maintenance

Postby sher » January 20th, 2004, 8:27 pm

Not to be rude, but I am a bit worried, NOT about losing, about KEEPING it off...seems like everyone here except for 2 or 3 are new...I would REALLY like to hear from people 1 or 2 years after...and HOW THEY DO IT....I would REALLY like some insight, don't want to go through this if all we do is gain it back....how DO we keep it off....
Sher
starting again at 196
going for white pants AGAIN...lol....
goal - when I LOOK and FEEL good

God bless us all
Sherry
sher
Preferred Member - #10 Club

still going strong

Postby shawna » January 22nd, 2004, 12:48 pm

Sher,

Nancy and Terry both (the health advisors on this site) have lost weight and then gone on maintenance - and are both still going strong! So there are two that I know of.

But I know what you mean...it's scary to imagine keeping it off once we can eat again!

Hang in there - WE CAN DO IT!

Shawna
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil. 4:13
shawna
Regular Member - #10 Club

Postby Jeanette » January 22nd, 2004, 1:22 pm

Sher:

This is a fairly new board, so most of us are still losing. Terry and Nancy are the best examples of maintenance that we have.

But don't put too much power into someone else's experience. If YOU want to keep the weight off, then it is up to YOU to do it. I learned that you can't live off of someone else's experiences.

I have decided NOW, with 137 pounds to go, that this is the last time I will ever have to lose this much weight. By making a commitment now it will save me from angushing about it later.

I WILL DO IT!!!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Echo » July 17th, 2004, 9:31 pm

I have been doing a lot of research into nutrition lately. It helps that I know some dietitians. After all this I don't want to gain again, and if we lose and go right back into our old habits we will.

One of the things that seems really important is portion size. I have kidded about brownies or nacho's, but I have never been a junk food junkie. I mostly ate healthy foods in not so healthy amounts. I saw a study that they did asking people to measure out a portion size of macaroni and the majority had two to three times what the actual portion size should be. Eat two to three times the portion, be two to three times as big as you should be...seems kinda simple.

I think we all need a plan for maintenance, before we get there. I plan to drastically limit refined sugars, fats and flour products. I will allow myself whole grains and lean meats. And I will pay attention to my portions.

Anyone else have some ideas for successful maintenance?

Echo
'Success is achieved through small victories every day' anon
Echo
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Return to Maintenance