Jo and maintenance.

All that hard work and now what? Let's talk about how to keep those pounds off...

Jo and maintenance.

Postby Serendipity » January 2nd, 2007, 4:15 am

Well, since I'm officially done with transition and in maintenance, I thought I should post here from time to time. I do post in my journal almost daily, but I'll post questions and other stuff here.

Right now, I'm 5 pounds under my goal.....somethin's going right. :mrgreen:

My first question is: What kind of yogurt do you folks use? I went to the store and bought the lowest calorie/lowest carb I could find and it's way too sweet for me. I don't like plain yogurt. The vanilla was ok, but still sweet and I can't even try another fruited because it was sickening sweet.

I've been using my dairy in a daily cappuccino.....real espresso w/1% milk.......heaven in a cup!
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby bikipatra » January 2nd, 2007, 4:18 am

Have you tried using plain yogurt and adding your own fruit or pure fruit jam (no sugar added) to taste? You can then add splenda to sweeten if you need to...
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 2nd, 2007, 4:41 am

Thanks, Biki, maybe I'll try that when I get off of my cappuccino kick.

Next question:

I followed the transition guide that's in the Quick Start Guide. Now that I'm through transition, I decided to go and read the guide that's at the top of the maintenance board.......wow! It's completely different than the Quick Start Guide version.

The biggest difference that I see is that in the transition guide, meat portions have been reduced. There are other differences, but that's the big one. Soooooo......I have been continuing to have my usual L&G along with the changes and have still lost 5 pounds during transition, so I guess it doesn't really matter.....but which is right? Those of us who like to follow the rules want to know if the transition guide is outdated????
jo
Serendipity

Postby bikipatra » January 2nd, 2007, 4:48 am

I just looked in my new Quick Start Guide I was mailed in December, dated 2006 and it says normal L&G and does not mention reducing meat portions. It is version 05.01.06 so maybe there is something newer.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Serendipity » January 2nd, 2007, 5:36 am

From the transition guide:

"Start here if you have been on the modified plan:

Medifast supplements
Lean meat (3-4 oz.)
Green Salad (1-2 cups)
Vegetables (1 serving)"

That was for week one. The steps continue to list 3-4 oz. of meat instead of the regular portion of the L&G. Then it contradicts itself a few pages later in the daily meal guide section:

"If your program included eating one meal a day, begin the transition at section 3:

Section 3:
Continue eating servings of meat and salad. Add a 1/2 to 1 cup serving of cooked vegetables."

The transition guide has the plan broken into 6 parts, the Quick Start Guide has it in 4.

I'm guessing that the transition guide is outdated. It's copyright @2002 and there isn't a copy at the Medifast sight.
jo
Serendipity

Postby bikipatra » January 2nd, 2007, 5:47 am

Yeah, sounds like you're right. That was back when women weren't allowed as much meat as the men too so 4 oz would have been a regular serving.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Lauren » January 2nd, 2007, 9:50 am

Hey, Jo-

I have the mother of all solutions to your yogurt issue. It has been the single most enjoyable addition to my daily eating since I started transition: Fage 0% Greek Yogurt. It's fat free, has a really nice ratio of protein to carbs (I am not looking at it now, but I think it has at least 11 grams of protein), very low in calories (I think it's around 70?), and is totally plain. Actually tastes like sour cream. I often add cinnamon and dip my apples slices into it. Or, I have cooked fresh cranberries, added Equal to the cranberry sauce and mixed it into the yogurt (that is truly heaven on earth), and I just last night just added a teaspoon of Walden Farms strawberry jam, with one packet of Equal, and it was fantastic.

I have continued to lose weight since I hit goal, I think about 6 pounds more since my "goal," but since that number was sort of arbitrary, I never put much weight in it (ha, pardon the pun).

I don't have an answer to the issue of the L&G, since I found all the transition/maintenance materials conflicting as well. I kind of wrote to Nancy telling her that I wanted to continue eating my supplements, but adding in another L&G each day (so now I have L&G for lunch and dinner), adding in one dairy (the yogurt), and I eat two fruits a day. But I still eat every 3 hours, and still generally eat 4- 5 supplements (since I am now a 4&2 instead of 5&1 - or 5&2 if I am hungry after working out). I eat unlimited veggies (as needed), but other than that, pretty much follow exactly the plan. I still have not incorporated any grains beyond what exist in MF products and fruit, and I don't think I am going to anytime soon. But I will say that I am not super careful on my protein portions, when I am eating fish/seafood/tofu. I don't eat red meat often, maybe only twice in the last year, since I have to eat so much less of it, and I prefer volume over substance, and I am a bit careful with chicken, but I would guess I am getting the full 7 oz still.

My point? I still keep losing, without having decreased the sizes of my protein portions. But with that being said, I am also running 6x a week and strength training, so I am burning a lot of calories every day, which is probably giving me more flexibility.

Moral of the story? I am just doing more of what I was doing. It makes me feel the same kind of control that I felt during the diet, and I like that and for now it makes me fear maintenance less and enjoy the new items (like fruit and yogurt) more.

Does that help?

Lauren
Lauren
Preferred Member - #170 Club

Hi

Postby dede4wd » January 2nd, 2007, 2:21 pm

Lauren,
That yogurt sounds yummy!
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Serendipity » January 2nd, 2007, 2:25 pm

Yes, it helps if I can find it here in this little one horse town. It may take a drive into the city.......hmmmmmm excuse to visit the grandkid :lol:

My maintenance plan sounds just like yours, except I only eat the required veggies. I don't snack. I eat 6 times/day. That's with 3 supplements, 2 L&G's, and a dairy and a fruit or 2. I'm not at all anxious to add grains to my diet, but on Sunday, we went out for breakfast and I had poached eggs on a piece of dry toast. It will not be a habit for me, though......special occasions only for the bread and sweets.

Isn't maintenance easier than you thought it would be? I thought I would get so hungry, but as long as I eat 6 times/day, I haven't been hungry at all!
jo
Serendipity

Postby Nova » January 3rd, 2007, 11:58 am

Lauren, I've heard that Greek yogurt recommended a couple other places too. I'll have to see if I can find any around here. I generally hate yogurt, and the only kind I can stand to eat is the La Creme Vanilla. It tastes creamier and smoother, without so much of that 'tang'. Unfortunately, it's also got 140 calories. I don't know why I never thought of adding fruit, spices and Splenda to plain yogurt. I'll have to try that.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Serendipity » January 3rd, 2007, 12:21 pm

Got this nifty pic (shhhh, stole it from Liz, hehehe). Just wanted to share :mrgreen:

jo
Serendipity

Postby Serendipity » January 4th, 2007, 10:54 am

I found this stuff called "Light & Fit". Vanilla has 0 fat, 0 added sugar, 60 calories, 10 carbs. Looks like it's in the ball park with your Greek stuff, Lauren.

It's not bad. I'm gonna have some with my banana today.
jo
Serendipity

Postby DogMa » January 4th, 2007, 11:23 am

My yogurt has way too many calories and sugar to really be the best choice. But it works for my sluggish digestive system, so I just account for the calories and sugar/carbs by cutting back elsewhere. The sugar hasn't triggered any cravings, at least.

Dannon Activia. But like I said, I only eat it because of the digestive thing. It's the only one shown to work for this.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby bikipatra » January 4th, 2007, 12:57 pm

DogMa wrote:My yogurt has way too many calories and sugar to really be the best choice. But it works for my sluggish digestive system, so I just account for the calories and sugar/carbs by cutting back elsewhere. The sugar hasn't triggered any cravings, at least.

Dannon Activia. But like I said, I only eat it because of the digestive thing. It's the only one shown to work for this.

Not really, there is plenty of organic yogurt on the market with acidophilus and bifidus. I have some in the refrigerator right now (for the hubby.) Activia is just using that as a marketing gimmick.
Last edited by bikipatra on January 4th, 2007, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

Postby Lauren » January 4th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Hey, folks.

Jo, I've had the Light & Fit, and it tastes fine, but it's not quite the same as the Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt because it doesn't contain live cultures. The others may say that they were made with live cultures, but Fage Total contains them when you eat it, so it's especially good for your digestion and overall health. I know, I sound like a freakin' advertisement, but I cannot tell you how damn happy this yogurt makes me! If you go to fageusa dot com, you can learn all about what makes it so great.

Oh, and my friend who used to be my trainer is a 3x olympian athlete, and he said all the athletes eat this Fage Total yogurt - it's the best combination of low calorie, high protein, lower carb, and good health. So it's not just me! :-)

Maybe, Jo, you can contact the company and see if they have any local distribution for you?

Nova, I never thought to add stuff either, until maintenance, when I started getting more creative with my combinations. I think our palettes are so trained on MF that anything with an abundance of flavor is freakin' fabulous (I call it a mouthgasm!), so suddenly things that I never enjoyed, like baby carrots, are like crazy treats!

Robin, I think Biki is right on the marketing ploy for Activia, you may want to try the Fage or another LIVE CULTURES greek yogurt - as they're all known to help with digestion. Just a thought! :-)

Jo - I like your prize ribbon. Perhaps for our 1 year of maintenance anniversary we should get real ones made! haha

Lauren
Lauren

Next

Return to Maintenance