larahb68

1 Thread per registered User.

Postby larahb68 » March 20th, 2007, 8:02 pm

Thanks. I'm still waiting to hear if the fairy stopped by your place last night...
:idontknow:
Lara

larahb68
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby JonnaD » March 20th, 2007, 8:06 pm

I think she did and she dropped some on me. I can't wait to see if leaving off the grain from my L&G makes a difference. I certainly hope so. :roll:
Jonna
Working on learning patience - I want to be thin and I want it NOW!
JonnaD
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » March 20th, 2007, 10:28 pm

Lara ~

:hmmm: Could you be allowing your scale to have more power over you than necessary?

:shock: It is a machine.

It does not :shades: see the healthy things you do, observe the times you passby the pizza box and do not grab a slice, nor does it hear your innermost thoughts.

I’d forgetaboutdascale for a week or two…it’s making you cwazy… :nana:

Generally thyroid issues slow weight loss down but they do not make it impossible to lose. Thyroid Rx needs to be taken about an hour or so for proper absorption before you have any soy…

Some progress is better than no progress. You are eating healthy good-for-you-food.

I’m glad you deep-sixed the canned green beans…cottage cheese is a bit salty, too…

Focus on the three hour intervals rather than the ultimate down the road goal.

Little by little is how we get there.

It is not easy making changes to habits we’ve formed and practiced over a lifetime but it is possible.

Lara, as a medical professional, surely you meet people on a daily basis that are forced to make changes due to disease or accidents.

I know how hard it was for me to stop eating my daily double (two bags of Butterlicious Micro Popcorn with ½ cube belted butter drizzled over each bag each night) and super size my broccoli.

It is still hard four years later and I do not particularly like it (watching what I eat) but the alternative: obesity, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, gastric reflux, killer pain in my knees, feet, and hips is a lot harder to deal with than eating differently.

I mourn the loss of some of my foody friends at times but I have learned to make substitutions and to better deal with my impulsive eating desires.

Hang in there, stash the scale for a while…

BTW, when you get up later than usual, still get all of the supplements in – have them a tad bit closer together, don’t skip any of ‘em; you need every vitamin, mineral and macronutrient in the packet.

We’re cheering for you!
:cheerleader:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby larahb68 » March 21st, 2007, 6:22 am

Nancy,
Thanks for your thoughts and reply. Yes, admittedly the scdale has far too much power over me. That's part of my immediate gratification pathology. :roll:

On the thyroid issus, I'm not on any thyroid med currently. I'm actually hyperthyroid with a confusing antibody picture with antibodies for Graves and Hashimotos, probably both arising from Interferon treatment for MS. So, I was on methiamazole for months and scheduled for surgery, but my mother died suddenly in January and my surgery got cancelled. So I've been off meds since December and am scheduled for thyroid irradiation on Friday to ablate my thryoid. I was actually thinking that perhaps my metabolism was higher due to hyperthyroidism at this point and maybe that was screwing with the ketosis picture. That plus many folks on Copaxone report a weight gain side effect and I started that med in February. The short story is that I wonder if my body doesn anything normally anymore. :shock:

My hubby has been also weighing on our scale and we're both getting suspicious. It's a new scale but seems fritzy but we're not eager to get another new one until we know it's a good and reliable one.

Anywhoo, thanks for your thoughts and support. Haning' in....
Lara

larahb68

Postby Nancy » March 21st, 2007, 8:56 am

Hangeth in there, Lara ~

When people start the program, it is common to suffer from over-anxious scale anxiety. I had two scales and weighed everytime I went to the sandbox. On both scales. Does that tell ya how cwazy I was? I finally gave away the dialy balancy scale and kept the digital. BTW, sometimes the batteries run down and the scale can go wonky...

Take your measurements, whe your pants slide off, you're making progress!

I think it helps to know from the very beginning that there will be delays, we do not shed the flabber at the same rate as others and it is important to set aside our preconceived ideas about this program; it differs from others.

It truly is not a diet in the traditional sense. There is much science behind it and sure, it takes our body approx three or four days to get into the fat-burning state but actually our body needs more time to fully adjust to converting its stored energy/flabber to efficiently utilize it.

When I began the program, I did so without a deadline - it was/is a process and journey for me. Somewhere along the way, I flipped the switch and realized this is a way of living and eating that fuels my body regularly and enables me to be as optimally healthy as I can be.

Do not compare your weight loss rate with others. It freaks me out when people drag out their calculators their first week on the program and try to determine their goal date based on their average daily weight loss...our bodies are not that dependable!

Health issues certainly can affect the rate of weight loss. It may take you longer to reach your goal than another but so what? We are not in a race here. You will be closer to your goal in three months if you keep going ever day than if you stop now. Keep on going.

Attitude is really important.
It can take you towards your goal or drag you away from your goal.

We are here for you - we will be your cheerleaders; just like you are for the patients you care for. We believe in you!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby larahb68 » March 23rd, 2007, 2:56 pm

Hey, 193 today. The scale finally moved which is nice but a little confusing. I'll take the drop at any rate, but still scratching my head a little bit. I had finally just decided to go low-key with all of this and just see what happens. Went to Curves yesterday and pretty much ate when I was hungry rather than on a hard Q2-3 hour schedule. No lI\onger actually counting my supplements or obsessing over my water. Still sticking to the program with eating/drinking only what is prescribed on the plan, but being looser with the rules. Got my labs done and they are fine. My weight is dropping and I feel good. Got my radioactive I-131 txment today so I'm in seclusion from hubby and the kitties for the next 3 days. Will go for a walk tomorrow. So glad it's Friday!!! :)
Lara

larahb68

Postby Nancy » March 23rd, 2007, 4:02 pm

Yeah! Glad to hear the needle on the scale moved!

So...you're glowing for a few days, eh? :oops:

Drink your water! Until the beginning of week 4, be sure your exercise routine is cut in half and then gradually rebuild the intensity...

Take care and have a terrific weekend.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Serendipity » March 23rd, 2007, 6:43 pm

Glad to hear things are moving for you, lara. :mrgreen:
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby JonnaD » March 23rd, 2007, 8:22 pm

I'm glad things seem to running smoother for you, Lara. Hope you don't have any problems with your radiation treatment.
Jonna
Working on learning patience - I want to be thin and I want it NOW!
JonnaD
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby larahb68 » March 24th, 2007, 7:03 am

192.6 this a.m which makes a complete 8 pounds so far. Still feels slow, but I'll take it!!

Thanks, friends! I appreciate your encouragement and thoughts. So far, so good. My hubby has been sweet checking in on me every now and then. He asked this a.m. if I can turn the TV on and off without the remote control now due to my radioactivity! Any my bro in law called from Ohio to comment on the green glow he saw shining from Pennsylvania. Gotta love family support! :lol:

Can't wait to get out and go for a walk today. I'm tired of this guest room and my kitties are mad at me for being antisocial, so a change of scenery will be good. Just hope the rain holds off. Won't be too long of a walk. I'm a little sore from my Curves experience. I'd like to go there, but doc says no "mass congregation or public sweating/sharing body fluids" for 3 days. :roll:

Well, gonna go check my e-mail and read ANOTHER magazine. Hope all is well with you.

Joanna, glad you like your RTDs! That reminded me that I have a few chocolates left and I need to check the expiration date to see if I can still use them!
Lara

larahb68

Postby larahb68 » March 24th, 2007, 4:49 pm

My walk was good, but weather was iffy and it got dark and threateningish just as I started out, so i doubt I did more than about 1.5 miles or so which didn't feel like much, but it beat staying in all day and I didn't have to go be tempted to spend money at the mall or in another store just to be out of the house and 3-5 feet away from people. :roll:

Tried a Boca chicken patty for supper tonight with broccoli and really enjoyed it. "Mm! Tastes like chicken!" :roflmao:

I am now officially a FitDay convert. That site is so great! I'm having so much fun doing all sorts of reports and looking at things "on paper." I'm sure the novelty will wear off eventually, but it's fun and educational for now. One of the things I really like is seeing where I'm lacking in major vitamins and minerals. Actually, I can see recommending that site to patients who are trying to watch their weight/calories, etc. I have more and more gastric bypass patients coming in and I'm always looking for ways to help them be successful perioperatively. Many times if they can lose significantly beforehand, they can even avoid the risks of surgery.

Well, guess today is a very slow and uneventful day. Not much to journal about really. I've watched WAY too much MTV and VH1. Good thing I'm not at home most days! My brain would surely turn into pop-culture mush! I can see me getting hooked on all sorts of videocrap.
Lara

larahb68

Postby Nancy » March 24th, 2007, 6:35 pm

Lara ~

It is a great tool and most helpful for weight management.

Yepper, re: about people considering gastric by-pass...I have many clients that have poor nutritional absorption as a result of having had weight loss surgery. I am so thankful I spoke to people post-op to inform myself of life after gastric-by-pass. If I want to have a slice of marionberry pie with ice cream or something similar, I don’t have those skanky issues…I was close to going the route when I heard about Medifast and am so thankful I chose to Take Shape, learned how to healthfully use the fork and avoid the knife.

Happy to know your seclusion/family and kitty exclusion is about to end!
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby larahb68 » March 25th, 2007, 5:16 pm

Thanks, Nancy! I will be SO glad when all this thyrodrama is behind me! I'm just plain tired of dealing with it! I'm ready to own my metabolism as my own! 8)

I agree with the problems related to gastric bypass. I'm so torn about the whole matter. I generally stay out of the process of folks getting there and by the time they get to me, they've been to the bariatric center in the city and have all their ducks in a row. But since I worked in heme/onc before internal med, I do try to make sure they know all about the iron deficiency and B12 deficiency anemias in their future and try to find out how much they know about what to expect post-op.

I found out last week that my supervising doc used to be one of the medical monitors at the hospital for folks on "the other" medically supervised ketosis diet (you know, Oprah's ;) ) It's been nice to have his support and accountability everyday. No sneaking into our office to snarf any snacks or I would get a :stickwack:

I also seem to have started a little mini health revoultion in the office. We have done away with the junk draw and now the med tech and I are walking after work and will start jogging when we're able. I've longed for an exercise buddy for 7 years since my last one got married and moved away!!! :exercise:

Had tons of fun today at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. Got some spicy turkey burgers and lite swiss cheese while hubby got a bunch of fun treats for himself. Was just nice to be out in the sunshine and in the city again. I miss going in everyday since I graduated.

Well, here's hoping to see a bump on the scale tomorrow! If not, I'll try not to be :whattha:
Lara

larahb68

Postby larahb68 » March 26th, 2007, 9:54 am

WHOO HOO! This a.m. scaled showed 191.8! I'm getting closer and closer to the 180s which makes me happy. Had my lean and green for the first meal of the day since I slept in so late that it was lunch when I finally got around after my shower. Branched out into the land of lean smoked turkey today. That was a nice change from soy.

Today I have an appointment with my neuro in Pittsburgh. Curious to hear what he has to say. I actually already know all my lab results so I'm not sure exactly what this appt is for. :?: Ah well, it's always fun to watch the interns and residents practice on me. :lol: Actually, it will be just as interesting to see if my weight change shows on their scale.

Got a HA today, I'll have to try to up my H2O intake and see if it helps. Well, I meant to get to Curves this a.m. but slept in too late. DH didn't wake me til just before he left for work then I drifted back off. I'm SO glad I'm out of seclusion and go back to the waterbed tonight and my human teddy bear! The kitties are happy to have me back too. It's nice to be loved. :heart:
Lara

larahb68

Postby Serendipity » March 26th, 2007, 10:05 am

Hey Lori, If you're going to Presby and if you have an ultrasound done, it may just be my DIL who does it. She's an ultrasound tech at the main hospital.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity

PreviousNext

Return to My Journal