Introducing myself

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Introducing myself

Postby Debby » December 30th, 2003, 1:48 pm

Hi everyone! I have been reading some posts, for an idea on how everyone else feels on day 4. I had originally planned on doing this program through my HMO, but is was beyond expensive ($500 per month and $240 start-up) so I decided to try it on my own. One of the things I have noticed while reading the posts, is that exercise is not stressed in the first few weeks. When I went to the orientation class, they told me that I needed to wear a pedometer and walk 10,000 steps per day. Well I started that on day one, and today I feel weak, so I think I will definetely cut back on that ;)

I remember reading on one of the posts last night, that we can eat pickles. Is that right? Ever since I read it, I have been craving one :lol: I plan on going to the store in a bit to pick-up th bouillon.

I think tomorrow might be a challenge, because it is my birthday - can we freeze the shakes and make them into ice-cream????? Anyway, I'm really looking for support on this, and just reading the posts has been very encouraging!
Thanks,
Debby
Debby

Re: Introducing myself

Postby explorthis » December 30th, 2003, 2:34 pm

Debby wrote:Hi everyone! I have been reading some posts, for an idea on how everyone else feels on day 4.

One of the things I have noticed while reading the posts, is that exercise is not stressed in the first few weeks.

I needed to wear a pedometer and walk 10,000 steps per day. Well I started that on day one, and today I feel weak, so...

I remember reading on one of the posts last night, that we can eat pickles. Is that right?

I plan on going to the store in a bit to pick-up th bouillon.

Can we freeze the shakes and make them into ice-cream?????

Debby, Hi.... I am Mike, the OUTSPOKEN one! I tell it like it is.
Day 113 for me, 94 pounds gone. First of all, if you are faithful to the program you will-must-haf2 lose weight, I PROMISE. Welcome......

Day 1-2-3-4-5 and probably 6-7-8 will be the hardest until you get into Ketosis, and loose the habit of eating. Then its DOWN hill. Lest we forget, we are doing this to lose weight, and change out lives. Its (eating) a hard habit to break. If I can do it, so can you! As for the excercize... Do what the program requires, wait a week or 3 before starting moderate excercize, don't do like I did, I never excercized, and still don't... My choice, I am lazy, pure and simple... Wrong? Right? Who knows.. Had I excercized, I might have lost a little faster... Do I regret not excercizing? Not for a second.. Its your call - do what you feel is correct.

Pickles? Freezing shakes into ice cream? Your starting a new lifestyle here, new ways of doing things, new ways of realizing you can lose the weight... Focus on the drinks, the drinks, the drinks... If you can lose your weight 1-2-3-4 days or weeks faster by avoiding pickles, or anything else for that matter, then do it.... The weight loss portion will be the easy part, trust me, I have been there. I still have about 15# to go. If your thinking about what you can eat, and not eat, then you will (as I did) think of alternative ways to add additional items in... Stick to the drink/shake... Don't freeze, don't add flavors, don't do anything. Mix and drink... Lose the weight, then dream of pickles and ice cream, or frozen Medifast shakes later...

I am not at all grading you on your thoughts, but I wanted the weight off as fast as possible, if that meant staying away from pickes and what have you, then this is the best method....

As for the boullion, YES... Plan on 2 cups every day/night one time. You pee out lots of sodium as you are consuming your gallon of water a day. The boullion will become your TREAT and you will look forward to it as I still do. It makes you feel better. The boullion is an important part of your daily intake.

One other thought.. get some Metamucil (I take the caplets) You will not be visiting Mr. Porcelin for the "reading sessions" as often, and the Metamucil will become your best friend.

Good luck, keep us posted!!

Mike (also from California - San Bernardino area)
337/243/220-230ish
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Thanks Mike

Postby Debby » December 30th, 2003, 3:10 pm

Thanks so much for your support! I really was only joking about the ice cream :eat: Congratulations on your amazing success! You honestly make me feel that this is very doable. Did you miss eating at all? For me it is just the "chewing", and I frequently crave salty things. I'm sure the bouillon will help in that area. I have also been a "stress" eater. My job is very stressfull, which is why I decided to start while I'm on vacation.

I look forward to your posts!
Take care!
Debby
Debby

Re: Thanks Mike

Postby explorthis » December 30th, 2003, 4:31 pm

Debby wrote:Did you miss eating at all? For me it is just the "chewing", and I frequently crave salty things. I'm sure the bouillon will help in that area. I have also been a "stress" eater. My job is very stressfull, which is why I decided to start while I'm on vacation.

HAHAHAHAHA Did I miss eating? WOW, what a great question, with a question back at you... Would a pyro miss matches? Absolutely. Remember I was F-A-T, say it with me... FAT!!! I was 337 pounds. Over 100# overweight. I have been on as many diets as there are calendar days in the 42 years I have been alive! Not a day went by without me finding a way to get 3 Big Mac's, or 3 Wendie's double cheeseburgers, amongst MANY other tasty items, if you get my (breath) drift!! Yes I missed eating till I realized my body STOPPED craving that type of stuff. It becomes a brain game that you can whip easily if YOU want to.

Carnal eater I was. I missed no meal. My Job is a Corporate Buyer. Stress is a huge issue for me. I did not eat (so I thought) for stress, I just ATE all the time. I am a large man, and actually carried it well, but I was FAT. I still do all of the family's grocery shopping (remember I am a buyer for a living) and I still take them to the fast food joints once or twice a week - I see this as a pat on my back that I can do these things now in FULL control. Can't believe I would EVER say that "CONTROL" I had none.

Bottom like, that little Ketosis thing really works. I still go to lunch w/ friends, watch the family eat (kids eat ALL day) work parties all the time, never ending supply of sweets, and buffets, yes the cravings and desires actually go away. I successfully drink a diet soda with no remorse. YOu know remorse, correct? I see stuff, ocassionally, I mean ocassionally I will get a sniff of something and remember its flavor, but its not even a common occurance. Once you actually see Medifast working, see the weight coming off, having all those compliments and questions come at you, it all of a sudden becomes worthwhile and FUN.

You will have ocassional cravings, salt, ice cream, and pickles (joking about the pickles) for awhile, and even when you are FULLY into the program, on ocassion, but they are managable.

I have realized now, substantially thinner, I am only cheating myself if I eat. Its not cheating anyone else but me. I am the only one that will know.

You WiLLLLLL expierience these same feelings once the program begins to work. You did not specify the amount you need to lose, but if you are here, you are serious.

Be faithful to yourself, it PAYS OFF !!!

-Mike
explorthis

Postby Debby » December 30th, 2003, 7:04 pm

Hey Outspoken One -

Again thanks! Every bit of experience helps. My weight gain was a slightly different story. I have pretty much gained 45 pounds over the past year and a half. I had always been a runner - loved it, so I usually hovered around 148 - 150. I was never very fast, but I enjoyed distance. Then I stopped running but kept eating. I am a special education high school English teacher. I had been working with high risk kids - gang members, probation, etc. After awhile I could deal with the kids but not with the administration. I guess I just threw my hands up in the air, and instead of going for a run after school, I went home and took a nap :yawn:

So now I have switched schools, and went part-time. I thought now would be the time to try and lose the weight. That, and the letter I received after my physical saying that I needed to lose at least 48 pounds, I am shooting for 55 lbs.

Is your family supportive? I bet they are - you sound like a great dad, doing all the shopping :D How many kids do you have? I have five, 22, 19, 17, 15 and 11 three boys two girls.

Have a Happy New Year and thanks again!
Debby
Debby

Hello

Postby Bseaton » December 30th, 2003, 9:15 pm

Nice to see you have started. I also used to run in fact i was training for the Honololu Marathon 2 years ago and i took about a 10 foot fall. Needless to say after many doctors my foots ok now but i also have about 60 lbs that i did not have before and it feels terrible. I went about 1 1/2 years without being able to do any thing physical so i ate. I am starting on 1/1 and looking forward to it . Keep in touch and we will help each other.
Barry Seaton

1/01/04
247/210/170
Bseaton
Regular Member - #30 Club

Postby Debby » December 31st, 2003, 9:41 am

Barry,

Happy New Year! I think starting tomorrow is a great idea! Isn't it amazing how the pounds just pour-on when you stop exercizing? I know that sounds nieve, but I couldn't believe how fast they arrived :roll: I make it sound like a UPS delivery :-P

I spend last New Year's in Honolulu, and each morning when I would walk down toward the beach and the main area in Waikiki I couldn't get over how many people were out running. I thought it was a bit too humid for me. I'm impressed about the Honolulu marathon! My husband wanted to do that one with me several years ago. He's a much better runner, but he suffered a bad knee injury during the Americas Finest City Marathon in San Diego, so we didn't make it. Even though we live in San Diego, Hawaii is still my favorite place in the world!

Well, I'm here for support! We'll do it - today is day 5 for me and my birthday. My husband actually bought a chocolate Atkins bar for me last night, just in case I feel tempted to cheat :bib: but it's still sitting on the dresser :D

Take care!
Debby
Debby
Debby

Postby Maggie » December 31st, 2003, 11:53 am

Welcome Debby,

I don't think I have had a chance to welcome you yet. Sometimes I just have time to read, not post. But that's not fair. I want to do my part to make this forum a success and a motivation for everyone. I can't wait for you to post your first weeks wieght loss. It will be fabulous. Maggie
Maggie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Jeanette » December 31st, 2003, 12:04 pm

Welcome Debby!

Yes, our Mike is a BIT outspoken (I like to think of him as a Medifast "purist"--shakes only!). And he is right--this is the time where you will be making new changes in your life.

While Mike has chosen to consume only the shakes and boullion (and I respect his choice to do so), using any of the Medifast products constitutes being on the full fast. OF your five supplements a day, three of them need to be shakes.

On occasion, I do have a pickle or some celery because it IS permitted on the program. Heck, I've even been known to have sugar free Jello! (10 calories a serving--I think I can burn that off with my trips to the bathroom!!) These things are very low in calories, made mostly of water, and give me something to crunch in my mouth.

If you haven't already, I recommend reading "Success in a Shaker Jar." It is written by a registered nurse who knows the Medifast program inside and out. It has been a great guide for me during the last seven weeks.

Looking forward to reading more of your posts!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby explorthis » December 31st, 2003, 12:36 pm

Jeanette wrote:Welcome Debby!

Yes, our Mike is a BIT outspoken (I like to think of him as a Medifast "purist"--shakes only!)

Damn, I hate it when she is right!!!

-Mike
explorthis

Postby Donna501 » December 31st, 2003, 2:36 pm

Welcome Debby,

I am glad you have decided to change your way of life like we are trying to do. The worst time for me was the first 3 days. On day 3, I wanted to kill someone. But I did a very bad thing. I decided I was gonna give up diet coke along with the diet. WRONG!!! By day 3 my husband was begging me to take a sip of soda. I had such a bad headache I was so nasty.. :x But then I woke up on day 4, and I was such a different person. I use all the products Medifast has to offer except the bars. They are just not for me. I work for the police department so I run around alot. I eat oatmeal in the morning, I do my shakes, I stop and have a cup of boullion for a snack. At night I have the soup. Every once in a while if I have had a long day, I might have a chicken breast to eat. Sometimes I work over 12hours in the day, and I need a little something. I started on October 11th, at 235. I am now at 190 and I am gonna try to get down to 160. Now that the holidays are over I should be good to go. I cheated a few times over the last two weeks. :oops: I have got 4 other co-workers plus my husband all starting tomorrow also. So I will have alot of support.

I wish you well... Happy Shakin ;)
Donna501
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby Debby » December 31st, 2003, 6:14 pm

Dear Donna,

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I don't drink caffeine, so that wasn't a problem for me, but my husband who is also in law enforcement - he's with the sheriff's dept., at one point was drinking 8 cups a day. I think its the long hours.

Anyway, congratulations on you big loss! :D It's funny, I think the biggest thing I miss is the social aspect of eating. We decided to stay in tonight and not go out to eat - but the cool thing is, I didn't miss the birthday cake!

Well, I'll check in on Friday and let you know how I did this week.

Happy New Year's!!!!

Debby
Debby
Debby

Introduce myself

Postby Mena » January 2nd, 2004, 9:16 pm

:roll: :-P HI everybody- you all sound like such a great group of people. I love Mike's enthusiasm-- we all need a Mike in our corner=God knows I do. I am waiting for my products to arrive and am nervous and scared--but want this so desperately to be the last thing I try. They say if you lose money you lose nothing, if you lose a friend, you lose alot but if you lose hope you lose everything. I dont want to lose hope-so here I am. Yo Yo Dieter my whole life. I need to lose 60 pounds. Mike, keep posting!!
Mena

Thanks Mike

Postby Deedle » January 2nd, 2004, 9:42 pm

Mike - I can't thank you enough - It sounds so stupid - I'm sitting here crying over your posts. You really are a great motivator. I'm on day 2 here, and just can't seem to keep myself away from either the scale, or staring at the empty fridge (at least I thought ahead).

Thanks, you make me feel like I'm not doing this alone.

Dee
28 yrs, 205 lbs, goal 140
Deedle

Postby Unca_Tim » January 2nd, 2004, 11:41 pm

Hi Dee and Mena and welcome to the forum,
Mike's fantastic huh? :)

He's a great example of what Medifast can do for you, but without Mike setting goals and sticking to them, it'd just be another day.
His success is a great motivater for me in every day life. He should be breaking the big 100 mark any day. We'll have to all throw a big party for him. :bow:

If you're having probs with hunger the first few days, don't be afraid to have a couple pickles, some celery or and extra meal replacement. By day 3-4 you'll find it gets much easier.
Give it a chance and it'll work for you.
Unca
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Next

Return to Come on in.