Introducing myself

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Introducing myself

Postby Haxie » November 17th, 2003, 9:21 am

Hi guys, I sort of stumbled onto your site, and found it interesting enough that I decided to join.

Just to give you an idea of who I am, and what I am up against, I am 6'4", fluctuate between 280-300 lbs, and am a 'former' athlete. I played a lot of competitive sports, including basketball and rugby in college, and due to some ankle injuries, I cannot run like I used to. As a result of driving a desk for the last 8 years, I saw my body go from a trim, fit 245 pounder to somewhat of a fatty.

I have tried several diets, such as weight watchers (UGH), and Atkins, to something that is now more of my own derivative of Atkins...low carbs, more veggies, and smaller portions of protein than before. I have had success doing this, but it's tough to stick to...the holidays and all.

I would love to get myself back down to the 240-250 lb range, but the level of exercise that I am afraid that requires is more than I am willing to do, however, I am willing to hit the gym.

I do play a lot of golf in the spring/summer/fall, and am looking for more range of motion, more flexibility, and that sort of thing.

I look forward to participating here.

Thanks,

Ryan "Sir Hacksalot" Pendergraft
"There are only three things that scare me: snakes, needles, and women with knives."
Haxie

Postby Jeanette » November 17th, 2003, 10:23 am

Welcome Ryan! :)

This is a good community to belong to! Are you currently using Medifast, or considering it?

Again, welcome!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Re: Introducing myself

Postby explorthis » November 17th, 2003, 12:00 pm

Haxie wrote:I am 6'4", fluctuate between 280-300 lbs, and am a 'former' athlete.

Ryan, hi.

I am on day 70 today, and if you read my prior posts, you will see I have become a REAL advocate of this program. Saturday nite I stepped on the scale, and have lost 60# (just shy of 1# per day)

I was NEVER an athlete, always the "fatty".

This is the first real (not using the "D" word) Weight Management Program I have ever really ventured to, and have stuck with...

My favorite saying: IT W-O-R-K-S!!!

Look forward to your participation...

-Mike
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Lois » November 17th, 2003, 7:06 pm

Hi Ryan!

welcome to the "family" 8) 8) 8)

Lois
Lois
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Ellen » November 17th, 2003, 9:47 pm

Ryan,
Welcome to the forum.
Hope you find the program as rewarding as we all do!
Look forward to getting to know you,
Ellen
Ellen
Trusted Member - #30 Club

Exercise?! No Problem!

Postby Nancy » November 17th, 2003, 9:54 pm

Howdy Doody, Ryan ~

Welcome to our Forum. I think you'll find a lot of great support here.

One of the nice things that appealed to me about Medifast is the fact that initially one does not need to exercise very much. Whenever the thought of exercise came my way, I laid down until the thought passed and then got up. It was extremely difficult for me to exercise much when I weighed 258 pounds.

I exercise a couple of times a week now that I’ve reached my goal weight. I do a lot of yard work and walk at the college whenever I get a chance. We have been hit with cold and rainy weather recently so the treadmill is my friend. I do a few weight lifting exercises, just to tone and tighten my muscles.

This weight management plan is very forgiving but as you implied in your post, you understand the value of exercise. When one exercises regularly, it is possible to eat a little more because those excess calories are used and burned more efficiently rather than stored as fat. When we begin the weight loss portion of the program, we recommend that you do not exercise during the first three or four weeks and then gradually add exercise.

Once people get to their goal weight, they will begin to add back regular foods and will also have to learn how many calories their body and its metabolism are able to handle on a regular basis. I am older and have yo-yoed so many times that I am able to maintain my weight when I consume about 1300 calories. Anymore calories than that per day and I gain weight.

You’ll soon be fit and feel like walking those golf courses. Who knows, perhaps you’ll NOT be a huckster anymore! Your score could improve dramatically and you could be on the PGA circuit! Hah!

Hope that all things go well with you! Go for your goal!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Haxie » November 18th, 2003, 8:30 am

Jeanette wrote:Welcome Ryan! :)

This is a good community to belong to! Are you currently using Medifast, or considering it?

Again, welcome!

Point me to an FAQ, and I might try it, I never even considered it or heard of it.

I found your website because I was embroiled in a messabe board argument over whether or not low carb was beneficial or hurtful to the human body, and some guy named Ramone made a heck of a good post somewhere in here that really summed up why I have used low carb.

Hax
"There are only three things that scare me: snakes, needles, and women with knives."
Haxie

Postby Jeanette » November 18th, 2003, 11:19 am

Check out the home page on makemethinner.com--it should answer most of your questions!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to Come on in.