How do you measure your veggies?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

How do you measure your veggies?

Postby carmen49 » April 19th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Hi, I am a little confused on how to measure my veggies. Example, asparagus is in long stocks, so I cant measure 1 1/2 cups. Also there is a big difference between broccoli stalks and chopped broccoli. I find this to be the case with alot of things. There are alot more string beans in a cup and an half then in green beans. Is there anywhere I can find out how much we can have in ounces? I like to weigh everything. Also, can we have lemon juice, like on fish? Thank you so much. If anyone has the answers it would be a BIG help for me. Carmen
carmen49

Postby Mike » April 19th, 2008, 9:17 pm

Carmen,

Measuring veggies is a difficult thing at first. Eventually, you kinda get used to what is the right amount. Salads are a bit easier because you can kinda stuff the lettuce into the cup.

What I tend to do is get a liquid 1 cup measure and place string beans in it standing up and just make sure its all full. Thats about a cup and a half.

On the broccoli, thats a bit more difficult, but 2-3 good sized stalks is plenty.

You can't weigh veggies given that the different veggies all have different densities and so the weights would vary alot with the specified volumes. Just try and go by volume as best as you can. Its highly unlikely that a little bit of a difference won't be a problem for you. Its the sugar that can kill ya.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby carmen49 » April 20th, 2008, 5:43 am

Mike,
Thank you for taking the time to answer. Your information is helpful. Just wish medifast would tell you in weight as well as cups. I like to weigh everyting. Carmen
carmen49

Postby lifelovinaries » April 20th, 2008, 6:18 am

carmen, please don't take the lack of responses as a sign that the rest of us don't care about your question or that we don't want to communicate with you. Personally, when i read your post, my response (in my head of course) was, "whoa, I don't take the veggie thing that seriously." Although i measure my veggies, if i am a little over in quantity, it's not that big of a deal. I just try to get as close as i can. Sometimes it may also depend on my hunger level. If i am extra hungry for "chewing-type" foods, like a little extra broccoli, i will throw an extra spear in. :dunno: I figure that will be much better than eating the side of pasta that my son gets to have! :mrgreen: Do i necessarily recommend this? No, not really because many may not see it as being compliant BUT sometimes the individual has to '"tweak it". Like Mike said, it is not likely that a little extra veggies will hurt much. Good luck on program and WELCOME ABOARD!

restart: 01/04/10
lifelovinaries
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby cydj21 » April 20th, 2008, 6:24 am

Hi, Carmen, and welcome! I'm also one of those who doesn't worry too much about being precise with the veggies, but I do try to be more careful with the veggies higher in carbs such as tomatos and green beans. Just do the best you can and try not to drive yourself nuts over it, because it isn't always easy to measure things accurately, that is for sure. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your success!
Cyd
Highest Weight - 271lbs in 2006
cydj21
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Postby DogMa » April 21st, 2008, 9:03 am

Welcome!! I never worried much about veggies, either, as long as they were low-carb. They're so low in calories, it won't make a big difference unless you're eating pounds of the stuff. Heck, not all veggies have the same amount of calories, anyway.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Return to Come on in.