How fiber supplements affect program???

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

How fiber supplements affect program???

Postby Alisha » August 31st, 2005, 8:55 am

I have a question I wondered if some of you 'veterans' could answer for me. I suffer with IBS and I have now started taking Metamucil on a daily basis to keep my attacks at bay. I am using the sugar-free version, however, it still has 20 calories per serving and 5g of carbs. Most days I try to have 3 servings, so that is a total of an extra 60 calories and 15g of carbs everyday. I figured since people were suggesting I use 6 and even 7 supplements a day that this wouldn't present a problem but I wanted to be sure. I know that we are limited to one bar a day because of the higher carb content so it made me worry.

Also, even though Medifast is SO conveniently pre-packaged and balanced for us, is there any set recommendation for how many calories, fat grams and carbs we should have per day in order to maximise our weight loss? I assume there must be since the lean and green is measured, but I'm asking because I don't want to be consuming more than what is necessary and end up unknowingly sabotaging myself.

Anyone?

Thanks

Alisha
"I can resist everything but temptation"

~Oscar Wilde

Alisha
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » September 1st, 2005, 8:21 am

Hi there, Alisha ~

Sorry I missed this. Yes, by all means, you may use the sugar-free Metamucil to increase your fiber intake.

For people on the 5 and 1 Program, the carb level is usually 80 - 85 grams of carbohydrates. Since you are on the Complete Meal Replacement Program, your carb level is lower than for those on the 5 and 1 Program. It is doubtful that the additional 15 grams from Metamucil would affect your weight loss success.

Disclaimer....again, I must point out that individuals on the Complete Meal Replacement Program must be under the strict supervison of a doctor to avoid potential health complications.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Fiber

Postby Gwenski » September 2nd, 2005, 1:37 pm

Shhhhhhhhh.......please don't tell my Dad but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Metimucil -- he has harped on me for YEARS! Now I take it and do the 5 and 1 plan. I take it 2 to 3 times a day began right after the 4th of July and as of two days ago...............have LOST 47 lbs.

So, I don't think the metimucil will hinder your weight loss - it just keeps you going with the flow.

Just DO NOT tell my Dad! :oops:

Best Wishes -- Gwenski :lol:
Gwenski

Postby armeewyf » September 2nd, 2005, 8:43 pm

Alisha...I have IBS too. Do you take a prescription for it? I have had this off and on for a few years and have taken Bentyl when my symptoms flared up. Before MF there were days when I would take 4 capsules (limit was 3 a day!). I have noticed that since I am on MF, my IBS is nearly gone. Once in a while I get those "feelings" and take a Bentyl for some relief but my problem is nowhere near what it was before. I tried fiber tablets when I started MF and again when I restarted because both times I had a "special" problem (for lack of a better phrase). I think it was Fibercon...anyway, I couldn't tell I had taken anything--no result. I am going to remember that the Metamucil is ok to take. I wondered about it too-chose the tablets because they had the least carbs.

Lee Ann
armeewyf
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » September 3rd, 2005, 5:26 pm

We have a lot of people with IBS that can join you and say that it is just about all gone with Medifast. In the beginning of the program many do suffer from the dreaded 'c' issue - eventually it works itself out...some people need Metamucil the whole time.

Gwenski ~ Awesome weight loss! You rock!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby mama of 2 » September 5th, 2005, 5:02 pm

Hi
I also have IBS. And had My gallbladder taken out in April. Since I started 6 days ago. I have not had any problems with either of them
On mf I can eat all of there stuff with no problems.
It's nice not having to worry about what I eat .

Wish you the best.
We can do it.
mama of 2
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Alisha » September 6th, 2005, 7:34 am

Gwenski, your loss is fabulous! I guess you're living proof that it doesn't affect anything! You rock!

Lee Ann - I used to have a prescription... I was on Bentyl 8 years ago and then after I was in England I was put on Colfac (I think that was the name), which did nothing, and then Spasmodol, which worked like a dream! (It's an anti-spasmodic) As I've pointed out before, I have no doctor because I have no insurance, so I was trying to use natural remedies like extra fiber and peppermint to keep any pending flare-ups at bay. (This is a very stressful time for me) Thankfully I have only had one 'episode' since I've been on MF so it's definitely helping. The Metamucil seems to keep the mail running smoothly but I just wanted to check and see if it would have any adverse effects. Thankfully it doesn't seem so.

Thanks to all who helped!

Alisha
"I can resist everything but temptation"

~Oscar Wilde

Alisha
Trusted Member - #40 Club

Return to Weight Loss