Help-Need Fiber....

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Help-Need Fiber....

Postby BumbleBee » December 28th, 2005, 8:31 am

Hey Guys,

I know this may be a silly question but I must know how you guys are getting enough Fiber in your diets. I know about the Lean and Green but sometimes it doesn't feel like I'm just not getting enough fiber. Well a felow MF'r was just telling me about eating Figs. Yes Figs. They are suppose to be higher in Fiber than any other Fruit or Veggie out there. She was told to eat 3 Figs a day to achieve the best Poopage. (sorry guys, couldn't think of the best way to say it) :mrgreen: Please let me know what you guys think.

I know on the 5 & 1 plan we are allowed only a certain amount of Calories, Fat and Carbs and I was wondering if this would hurt the weight loss. Thanks in advance for all help.... :dunno:
MF since 6/30/05
5'7
235/188/175
age 37

I CAN do all things through Christ that strenthens me and it shows!! woo hoo!!
BumbleBee
Regular Member - #40 Club

Figs

Postby Jan » December 28th, 2005, 12:40 pm

Hmmmm,
I'm sorry but I don't think figs are a great idea at all. They will add extra carbs to your program -- I don't know exactly how many -- but adding carbs is never a good idea.
If you are having problems try Metamucil 1- 2 tsp dissolved in water. Your problem could be that you aren't drinking enough water.
I'm glad you decided to check this idea out before munching!!
jan
Jan
Preferred member

Postby BumbleBee » December 28th, 2005, 12:43 pm

Thanks Jan for your advise. I was kinda thinking the same thing. But just wanted to make sure first. :)
MF since 6/30/05
5'7
235/188/175
age 37

I CAN do all things through Christ that strenthens me and it shows!! woo hoo!!
BumbleBee
Regular Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » December 28th, 2005, 1:33 pm

Dear BumbleBee ~

Your question regarding poopage is not silly - sometimes beaver dams block the river flow and intervention is needed.

I can totally :pet: empathize with you, Darlin' - I remember actually :angel: praying for poopage! :roll:

Medifast does not recommend figs or any other type of fruitage on the 5 and 1 Weight Loss Program. Constipation...I believe Crystal Gayle sang a country song about it - "Don't it make your blue eyes brown?"

For :twisted: constipation there are few things we can do here:

:water: Water consumption is a very important component - if you are taking in adequate amounts of water per day, good! :thumbup: If not, :oops: increase your water consumption. :water:

Let's :shock: look at some other options here:

:walk: Walking or some mild form of :weightlift: exercise is beneficial.

Medifast oatmeal for :eat: breakfast will help to :runner: move things along as well as having broccoli (raw or cooked). Most vegetables will help to provide the bulk and fiber needed for regular elimination.

Notice I used the word ‘regular’ and not the termdaily dumpage?

Since we are eating more nutritious foods now with less bulk and wasted calories, our body utilizes more of the fuel we give it and there is less waste. Bowel habits will change – most likely you will not experience the daily reading sessions and go less often now but there will be some pattern that is right for you that will eventually be established.

All flavors of the Medifast 55 & 70 regular shakes other than Dutch Choc contain 3 grams of fiber per packet (The Dutch Choc has 4 grams). Women's Health shakes have 4 grams of fiber. :cheers:

The regular line of bars has 2 grams of fiber each; the Fruit n’ Nut & S’more granola bars have 1 gram of fiber each.

All flavors of Medifast Oatmeal, the puddings and the Diabetic Bars each have 4 grams of fiber.

So...what's a :redhead: bound up body to do? :huh:

Some people have been successful by adding some psyllium powder or psyllium husk to their shake or having some sugar-free Orange-flavor Metamucil or Citrucel. :beerbeer:

Make sure you are getting some oil in your Lean and Green meals - perhaps adding from 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon of olive or canola oil on your salad will help.

:secret: You may consider using a stool softener – they are generally considered to be safe because they provide moisture to, to, :oops: uhmmm, to uh make for easier poop slidage and can make it easier so you don’t have to grip the :brickwall: walls of the bathroom, risking structural damage to the doorposts. ;)

:mrgreen: Passage happens with relative ease when using a stool softener. :thumbsup: Colace, Surfak or Dialose can help with rock removal

I would not recommend a laxative unless you are so :deadhorse: miserable that you are looking for :whattha: dynamite and then I’d suggest that you don't take any type of laxative without first discussing it with your doctor.

:idontknow: You may want to do a topic search using the word ‘constipation’ – use the search clicky above.

:felix: Been there. Ain’t fun!

:goodluck: Good luck, Little Darlin’ and may the issue of the Big C soon be flushed from your life!
:sheepjump: :woohoo: :clapclap:
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby betz » December 28th, 2005, 3:27 pm

When this happened to me (for about an entire 2 mos.!) I got in the habit of sprinkling a little citrucel or benefiber in each shake. I'm not sure how much..1/2 tsp perhaps? Over the course of the day ithe steady influx of fiber helped get my body into a routine. It didn't help over night..but it got me over that hugely uncomfortable spot eventually.

A tip...if you add the orange citrucel to a vanilla shake and blend it well in the blender...with some ice...you get a great creamsicle flavor in the deal. It gets very thick like sherbet. YUM.

Now, I only do this occasionally when needed.
betz
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby Nancy » December 28th, 2005, 3:32 pm

Thanks, Betz - you are right, it takes some time for the bod to adjust to the low volume of output and eventually it gets worked out.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Return to Come on in.