Grandma problem

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Grandma problem

Postby amanda27686 » September 7th, 2006, 9:59 am

I have a soon to be 3 year old who has 2 grandma's. They both would like to be called Grandma, but I noticed my daughter is getting confused. When I say "we are going to Grandma's house" she thinks we are going to my husbands moms house. I think it might hurt my moms feelings if I told her she needs to change her name. We went over to my moms house last night for dinner, when we left she cried the whole way home because she thought we were going to the other grandmas. She thought she was going to see her cousin, since he is usually there when my daughter goes over there to visit. I don't know what I should do that would be easy for everyone to adjust to.
amanda27686

Postby GucciGoo » September 7th, 2006, 10:23 am

It's pretty simple. Call them Grandma and their name. For instance, Grandma Rose. You can't expect one grandma to NOT be called Grandma. That's not fair or nice.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby JeepGirl » September 7th, 2006, 10:31 am

The Grandmas here are called by diff names but we have 2 Nanny's. One NannyWanda and one NannyPeg

We have 2 Papa's as well...PapaTerry and PapaMike...

It works great and everyone is happy!
JeepGirl

Postby Prancer » September 7th, 2006, 10:32 am

For some reason when my kids were born this was a huge deal for my MIL. She wanted to be Nana and Papa but my kids call my father Papa (my nephew had already been doing that). So now we have Mema & Papa and Nana&Pa. I would say use what Beach baby said and use the first or last name to tell who it is. My grandmother we actaully called "grandma goose" because they had a goose at their house.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby DntCryLilEmoGrl » September 7th, 2006, 10:35 am

i had grandma (mom's mom) and gram (dads mom)
"Soon to be mrs sexy pants"
lilemo's getting married on April 6th 2008!!!!!

started changing my life 5/15/06
restarted 10/01/07
DntCryLilEmoGrl

Postby loriannk » September 7th, 2006, 10:36 am

My kids called my parents Grandma & Grandpa and my husbands parents Grandma & Grandpa S. The S is the start of there last name. It wasnt confusing for them that way.
3 kids ages 2, 8 & 9
loriannk

Postby Serendipity » September 7th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I'm grandma and Jake's other grandma is grandma Kimmy. He came up with these names himself. He actually has 5 grandmas (believe it or not, there are no divorces involved) and has a name for each one! The most interesting is the one he calls Dupie, lol. Who knows where he got it.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Unca_Tim » September 7th, 2006, 1:23 pm

I had a big gramma, and a little gramma.

Big gramma was married to little grampa, and little gramma was married to big grampa.

Think that was easy to figure out as a kid?
:)
Unca
"Failure is a choice"
~From a dream~
Unca_Tim
Site Admin

Postby kendra_m » September 7th, 2006, 1:30 pm

My grandma's names were Eloise and Orphah ... glad I didn't do the name thing! One was grandma and the other was grandma with her last name. I also had two great grandmas... one was Grandma Marie and one was Grandma Great, which came from me switching the names around as a kid.
For my kids, one is Nana, the other is Grandma, which my youngest son shortened to Grammy... which I think is awfully cute!

:hatch: Finding the new me!!
--------------
10# - 9/11/06
20# - 9/24/06
30# - 11/5/06
40# - 11/19/06
kendra_m

Postby SharonR » September 7th, 2006, 2:39 pm

lol this is such a cute thread. I called or identified my grandparents ( only one grandma left now) by the last name. So either Grandma Dabill or Grandma Richards, pretty simple...
Kids are so cute though, they can come up with some pretty cleaver names. Why dont' you ask your daughter what she would like to call them? You might be amazed at what she comes up with.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

Start Weight 326.7 ~ My short term goal will put me at 250!

Started June 19th 2008. First Mini Goal 76.7 pounds.
SharonR
Preferred member

Postby Aerie » September 8th, 2006, 6:37 am

I'm from Mass and I always called my grandmother Gramma but down here in NC I here a lot of people call them Meemaw and Pawpaw. I have no idea.
Aerie

Postby DogMa » September 8th, 2006, 9:02 am

I didn't have grandparents, but my little cousins have California Grandma and Grandpa, and Pal Grandma and Grandpa (because their dad's father always called his grandsons "pal"). The older kid (the boy) named them, and his sister just uses the same names.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Elizabeth » September 8th, 2006, 9:10 am

My grandmas were addressed by Grandma >insert last name<

My kid's Grandmothers are called Nana and Granny (these have almost become a first name....grandchildren born for the last 30+ years have been calling them that)

Just so you don't hurt any feelings, how about explaining the confusion to the grandmothers and ask them how they would like to be addressed by their grandchild?

I would think that calling one
"Grandma" and the other "Grandma >insert name<" could even be taken as
the "first" grandma and the "second" one....just my opinion and it may not set right with second grandma...ok, I'm worrying too much ;)
Elizabeth

Postby supermom » September 8th, 2006, 2:15 pm

As a kid I had an Annie, a Nannie, a Mimi, and a Momsie. I still have my Annie and my Mimi. Nannie and Momsie were names that were started by my parents and their cousins (these were my greats). I started Annie and Mimi. My kids call them Annie and Mimi too. They call my mom Tonna and they call my husbands mom Grandma Sarah. The problem we have is with steps. My MIL is remarried and she wants our kids to call her new hubby Grandpa. They call my dad Grandpa. My FIL is remarried (for the 11th time) and his wife wants to be called MeMaw. I hate that. I think it is disrespectful to my parents and my husbands parents. It would be diferent if these step parents of his had been around during his childhood and had helped raise him, but they weren't. He doesn't even like them. They are not his parents and they are not ANY kind of grandparent to our kids. I WILL NOT allow a man that treats me and my hubby like dirt to be called grandpa----especially when he isn't! The same goes for the step mom. They are just Penny and Clinton. Period. I guess I am an a$$hole, but that is how I feel.
supermom

Postby Allie » September 8th, 2006, 5:32 pm

My dad called his dad Pop, so I called him Pop pop, and my mom's dad grandpa arf arf (he had 5 dogs and would roll on the floor pretending to bark). my grandmoms were nana and gram.
If you always do what you have always done, you will always be where you have always been.
Allie
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Return to What's Shakin'