Full-Fast vs Modified

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Full-Fast vs Modified

Postby NikkiNix » January 11th, 2005, 9:13 pm

Hello all,

I had a quick question for those that have done the "Full-Fast". I know that in the FAQ section it states that the full-fast consists of 5 MF meals a day and that includes soups, chili, and coco, whereas the modified your allowed that one lean green meal. For those of you that did the full-fast (Mike or anyone else that did the full-fast) did you ever eat the chili and soups and still consider it the full-fast?, or was it all just shakes until maintence time.

Just curious
Nikki
Today is the first day of the rest of my life!
NikkiNix
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby explorthis » January 11th, 2005, 11:07 pm

When I was on the program, there were no alternatives (none that I can think of – remember, mine was close to 2 years ago). It was shakes and shakes only. This does not mean anything to you now with the many wonderful options. Everything Medifast has come up with (chili, soups etc – bars with exceptions.) is the full fast. A non-full fast IS including the lean green. (Either choice is fine)

All I did is/was the shakes. Not sure what your question is. My problem in the past was no control. I know Medifast can be boring, in fact 5-6 shakes was boring. 100+ pounds – tell me it was not worth it?!?! At least now you have choices, as alternatives, not forcing you to just the shakes. I DO NOT think I could have ever done different.

To each his/her own.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Thanks

Postby NikkiNix » January 11th, 2005, 11:18 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info and congrats on your 2 years staying thin. I guess I am blessed I have other options but if you think the options were there for you 2 years ago you would have choosen to spruce it up a bit :?: Do you think eating the chili or soups would have slowed your process :?: Week one down and nine more to go until I weigh myself for the first time on my Birthday. I am staying strong and shakin on.

Nikki
NikkiNix

Postby explorthis » January 11th, 2005, 11:28 pm

Ya know Nikki, I had no control, and I mean NO CONTROL. Secretly, I am glad there were no alternatives, I just don’t know if I would have had the strength – period. Each person is different, and has different tolerances, I am afraid I did not, and would have NOT…

It’s a year of maintenance, and 4+ months of Medifast. Did not meant to exaggerate the time line…

-Mike

P.S. - great name, my daughter is a Niki (one-K)
explorthis

Thanks

Postby NikkiNix » January 12th, 2005, 12:06 am

Mike your the best ;) . Two years isn't that far around the corner plus I know you will have still maintained by then anyway. My kidos names are Karisma and Eva and even though I'm really a Nichole, Nikki- Niki is a friendly name me thinks.

Nikki
NikkiNix

Postby Sylvia » January 12th, 2005, 7:50 am

My daughter's name is Nikki to (short for Nicole).

Anyway, I did the full fast for the first 3 months I was on the program. I used the full range of meal replacement products and don't think I would have made it if it was shakes only. As Nancy also recommends, I had a small green salad daily.

Except for the bars, all of the meal replacement products have roughly the same calories and shouldn't impact your weight loss AS LONG AS YOU CAN CONTROL HOW MANY YOU EAT! The bars have more calories and more carbs which is why you can only have one per day.
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

thanks

Postby NikkiNix » January 12th, 2005, 9:29 am

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for letting me know someone had some of the supplements I was beggining to think maybe I shouldn't be eating that chili. I have my cappachino in the morning, than 2 dutch chocolate shakes, a chili, and a Dutch chocolate before bed. I try to stay away from the MF bars because I know it would be to tempting. I have a sweet tooth and I think even when I reach my goal,even though far away, I will probably eliminate sweets from my diet forever. NO CHOCOLATE. I know it will be worth it.

Shakin on Nikki
NikkiNix

Postby Nancy » January 13th, 2005, 7:53 pm

Nikki ~

I'm back from our trip to Las Vegas, trying to sort through email and the Forum.

BTW, Mike and Gerald are awesome men! Totally!

re: full fast

Previously it was 5 Medifast meals per day, no regular food. Three of the 5 MF meals needed to be shakes.

Now, the protocol has been slightly changed. The full fast or Complete Meal Replacement Program is 6 Medifast meals - any combination of products; no regular food. One bar maximum.

Personal educated guess based on research and personal experience...soy is a natural appetite suppressant. The shakes have the highest soy content of any of our products. Eating/drinking more shakes = getting more soy intake and that means more hunger satisfaction, cravings are minimal and you're less likely to go off-program.

When a person is on the complete program, it is recommended that you do so under the supervision of a physician and you absolutely must go through transition properly. If you do not, please do not expect us to visit you in the hospital or the bathroom because you got your digestive system in an uproar...
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

hi

Postby NikkiNix » January 13th, 2005, 9:37 pm

Hi Nancy,

It's funny when I first went to the Dr. she said nothing about my digestion system being in an upraor unless I didn't drink the limited amount of water. She also said to divide my weight in half and that's how many oz's of water I should really be consumming so I didn't get dehydrated. It is true I haven't seen my Dr. since my blood work forever ago but that was because I feel off the wagon. I know I need to see a Dr. but since quiting my job I have no insurance. I haven't had any problems as of yet (Thanks Be To The Lord) but if I do start having problems I promise to take myself to a hospital and get it checked out. I am still working on getting a job with insurance and once I do I will get a re-check. Thanks for the tip on drinking more shakes maybe I will have to do just shakes on my hungriest days to detour the nasty cravings :twisted:

Shakin on Nikki
NikkiNix

Postby Nancy » January 13th, 2005, 9:43 pm

Nikki,

It's not the water-digestion situtaion I meant when I said to transition properly or risk a killer stomach ache. Going from a full fast to eating fatty foods can wreak havoc to your gall bladder.
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Nite Izes » January 13th, 2005, 9:56 pm

I am on Medifast and eat a meal, so I am not a full fast and had my gall bladder removed years ago. I get bad headaches being on a full liquid fast, but that is due to my health and I am under constant medical supervision with my doc on using Medifast. If you are able to be on a full fast, great, but I cannot be on full fast since it affects me (my metalbolism is bad), but not in a risky or threatening way.

All I can say is that I drink my Medifast everyday and eat a low-fat, low carb, low calorie portioned controlled meal that is high in protein and have at least 1-2 veggies. I usually eat as a meal seafood such as canned tuna, canned crab, fresh shrimp, salmon (a lot of this), chicken breast and of course can't forget fish. Sometimes I just have a yogurt as a meal with something else. I noticed that they have Medifast tuna and chicken salad, that is next on my list to buy since I would like to use that as a portion controlled meal to satisified my doctors requirement for me.
(303)285/208/140
start date: 3/27/04
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 1st goal= 250 BMI= 45.7
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes

hello

Postby NikkiNix » January 13th, 2005, 10:29 pm

I plan on making a slow transition back to real food. I will do the full-fast untill I reach 100lbs and then I plan on going to the modified for the other 60lbs and then I will ease back into to real food. This is going to be a long process and I will get checked up on( I promise). I haven't had any headach problems yet unless it's that time of month and I usually take IB profin and it goes away. By the way Nite I just saw your pics and you look awesome! I hate fish so I will probably be eating alot of chicken and turkey but I don't have to worry about that just yet I have a long road ahead. I appreciate the worry and I will be a good girl and go get checked out even if I have to go to a clinic, hopefully I will get a job here in the next month so I can get checked up on frequently.

Thanks Nikki
NikkiNix

Postby Nite Izes » January 14th, 2005, 8:50 am

hey there Nikki,

I also buy from the deli, sliced turkey breast (love the mesquite one) that I also use as part of my meal paln. I eat it cold or warm it up a bit. I have a food scale that helps alot since I eat 4 oz of meat per day. Turkey and chicken breast meat is low in carbs, calories and have lots of protein.

As for my headaches, doc said it will happen to me due to my body system and it is adjusting to the transition as I continue in my weight loss. All I can say is Medifast helped me and although I eat food with my plan, I still lost weight and I love seafood, but not the prices.

..... thanks for the compliment about "seeing" me.
(303)285/208/140
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes

Postby explorthis » January 14th, 2005, 9:25 am

All I can say is Medifast helped me and although I eat food with my plan...
I also buy from the deli, sliced turkey breast (love the mesquite one)

NI, I want to commend you for your progress, your pictures look wonderful, you deserve a hearty congratulations.

I want to chime in a little here about Turkey, vs. Deli Turkey.

In general, chicken and turkey meat contains zero carbohydrates.

Only if other carbohydrate-containing ingredients are added, does the poultry product contain carbohydrates.

As well as being zero in carbs, chicken and turkey are also low in fat, except for their fat and skin, which is high in fat especially saturated fat.

The lean green as suggested by Medifast, for the person on the modified program is not a deli style turkey, or turkey that has anything added to it. It is not supposed to have any sugars or other ingredients added, unless it’s a no calorie, no sugar flavoring.

Some reading your regimen might think it ok to eat something with additives, (which is totally up to them) but they need to stay informed, that for the true Medifast (modified) version, this is not the norm.

Again, congratulations on your progress.

-Mike
explorthis

Postby Nite Izes » January 14th, 2005, 12:30 pm

hello Mike,

The deli meat store here in NY that I buy from is made fresh daily onsite at their stores. You can buy the Board's Head or whatever they also sell, but I prefer the store brand since it is fresh with no additives or preservatives. They have about 10 different styles of turkey meat to choose from. They even have the no salt, no seasoning brand, but the one with mesquite smoke only is unique, very fresh and my preferred choice. This type of food and meal plan was approved by my nutritionist since my health issues is different than many here.

They roast the turkey, chicken, even beef daily and the cutomers buy them that they are almost always sold out by the end of each day. For me to prepare this at home, will temp me too much so I buy it at the store and beside I do not have a smoker. I eat a modified portioned controlled meal that is low fat, low carb and of course low in calories, if not for that change in eating lifestyle, I would not be able to lose the weight as I had. Prior to Medifast, I ate like that but the weight would not really come off easily or successful, somehow with the addition of Medifast as my main course of meal replacement, it has enough fiber that I need for my digestive system to help me lose the weight. But that is how it works for me and my body system, everyone is different and I have been closely monitored very frequently by my doctors and nutritionist.
(303)285/208/140
BMI=55.4 New BMI= 38.0
WT Loss= -95/-77
GOALS
√ 2nd goal=219 BMI= 39.9
3rd goal = 191 BMI= 34.9
4th goal = 163 BMI= 29.8
5th goal = 140 BMI= 25.6
Nite Izes