My first day.........

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

My first day.........

Postby Brandi NY » August 10th, 2004, 4:51 am

Hi all, this is my first day with all of you on the Journey to a healthier me. I had the apple raisin oatmeal for breakfast and will have shakes for the rest of the day. I was unaware that we only needed to have 3 shakes a day, so until I order more I guess i'll be having 5 a day. I hope thats okay? Anyway I will check in later to give an update. The days go by so fast and I will have no problem i'm sure.......but then comes the evening....I seem to lose it, and have difficulty staying on plan. I hope you all have a wonderful MF day.........

HUGS,
Brandi
Brandi NY

Welcome

Postby healthyhobo » August 10th, 2004, 9:21 am

It is okay to have all shakes. The reason for having at least 3 you get the required amount of protein needed in just three shakes. We use to not have oatmeal or pudding or the variety of meals that do have now. Now we even have chicken and beef. Who would of thought of this 2 years ago? Well for me to beat the temptations in the evening is to have my meals like every 2-3 hours and if I am going to stay up late I have another shake. Remember its only 90 calories as compared to eating choc or ice cream that stores fat in our body and adds to many calories. If you got questions email Nancy, she is the best support person I know.
Walstreet the Healthy Hobo
healthyhobo

Postby Brandi NY » August 10th, 2004, 4:07 pm

Here it is, 6:56 pm, and so far I have made it........everyone in my office ordered pastries, made it through that. Had a wicked headache this afternoon, took tylenol....made it through that. Everyone ordered out for lunch....I went out and sat at the bench and read my book....made it through that. I am home now, made my hubby, and daughter dinner....made it through.....BUT.....I feel hungry......

7am(1) apple oatmeal
10:45(1) strawberry shake
1pm (2) strawberry shakes
3:45pm(1) cho shake
6:30pm (1)minestrone soup, (1) cracker (pack)

Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas why I'm so hungry?
I drank atleast 2 litres of water, plus coffee. I want to eat!

Thanks for the advice..

HUGS,
Brandi
Brandi NY

Postby Simmshe » August 10th, 2004, 4:52 pm

Hi Brandi,

Glad you got started and have made it through some tough food-related challenges today!

Expect to be HUNGRY, near starving for the first 3 to 4 days. Your body is hungry--it's not getting the calories and fuel that it needs. And this hunger will not go away until the body switches to burning your fat reserves for fuel (ketosis), which takes 3 to 4 days (sometimes 5 for some people). So basically, your body thinks you're starving it ... and, well, it's right, sort of!

During this tough transition time, have extra shakes--it's okay to have a couple of extra shakes. I have even read of some people having eight shakes on their first day. Just don't eat off plan because then you will have to suffer all over again, starting a new Day 1.

Hang in there--have a couple of pickles or a cup or two of bouillon, an extra shake or two ... or three--just stay on plan. Also, have some more water (at least 16oz. more, along with another shake tonight, if you decided to have one). Those first few days are an exercise in sheer willpower. The "starving" feeling will cease after a few days :)!

Sheryl
Restart: 5/01/05
333/280/155

Original start: 7/13/04-12/12/04
High weight (1997): 386lbs

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Brandi Ny » August 10th, 2004, 5:13 pm

Pickles?.........I wasnt aware i could have them.....I dont think I fully have the whole idea of this....I thought it was completely liquid.....with the chili, and oatmeal...I am unaware of these extras.......but i love pickles....where can i find out what I can and can't have on complete MF? I am sorry about all these stupid questions, I have no clue.....thanks again......Simmshe I appreciate the encouraging talk, and suggestions, I needed it !! HUGS!
Brandi Ny

Postby explorthis » August 10th, 2004, 5:22 pm

Oh, someone is in for a treat... (a cautious one or two)

Check out the FAQ area...

http://www.makemethinner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=566

Should help oodles...

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Simmshe » August 10th, 2004, 5:41 pm

You're welcome Brandi :)!

I see Mike straightened you out about the extras--this forum is filled with great info.

I personally only have pickles once or twice a week, usually on the weekends when I'm running around a lot and feel a bit fatigued and want to get a quick boost of sodium. Oh, and beware of which pickles you buy. I picked up a jar of Zesty Pickles the other day, thinking I could use a little extra spice on my plan. I bit into the pickle and was very pleased--it was the best pickle I ever tasted--too good, in fact! So I turned the jar around to read the nutritional information (which I usually do in the store, but I was rushing and just assumed that the pickles were zero calories, like the others I had bought of the same brand). Well, the pickles tasted so yummy because they were loaded with other ingredients, which I didn't read them all--I stopped when I got to "high fructose corn syrup..." :shock: They also had 5 calories per 1/3 pickle, and I had eaten two big ones! You're right in using the word "caution" about the freebies!

Anyways, do take advantage of the freebies that are allowed, when needed. They really can make a difference with your plan :).

Sheryl
333/280/155

Success depends upon previous preparation, and without such preparation there is sure to be failure--Confucius
Simmshe

Postby Brandi NY » August 10th, 2004, 6:21 pm

Well the night is here and I made it through with 3 pickle spears, 0 calories of course. Thanks Explorthis, Simmshe for the ideas....I needed them.......got me through, and now it's time for me to go to bed and start a new MF day..........I just have one question, I read the FAQ's and I see I can have 1/4 cup of certain veggies, does this mean.....I can have 1/4 cup of each everyday, or just 1 each day? Thanks again...you guys really helped me through my first day.........Good Night...

HUGS,
Brandi
279/?/160
1st Goal 250
2nd Goal 225
3rd Goal 199
Final Goal...........160.......I think....

1 Day Down...........a LIFETIME to GO!
Brandi NY

Postby Simmshe » August 10th, 2004, 9:29 pm

Glad you made it through your first day Brandi--good for you :hi5:!

About the veggies, Nancy can better clarify this. I'm thinking that it is 1/4 cup of veggies, in total, per day (or 1/8 cup of two different veggies). I usually add 1/4 cup of broccoli florets to my cream of brocoli soup and 1/4 cup of canned diced tomatoes to my chili (sometimes I do 1/8 cup of tomatoes and 1/8 cup of diced onions). I only use once soup a day.

Hopefully Nancy can set the record straight on this :).

Have another good Medifasting day!

Sheryl
333/280/155

Simmshe

Postby Nancy » August 10th, 2004, 10:23 pm

Hi, Brandi and welcome.

You made it through your first day marvelously!

On the Complete Fast, you have 5-6 Medifast meal replacements, no regular food. However, there are a few "free real food items" that you may want to have when you feel like you might cave.

You may have 1-2 cups of bouillon, 2-3 stalks of celery and 1-2 dill pickles.

Some people on the Full Fast do have a small salad daily or several times a week just to keep their stomach juices activated.

The salad consists of 1-2 cups of salad greens PLUS up to 1/4 cup TOTAL of chopped fresh non-starchy veggies.

So to answer your question, NOPE! Your veggie serving is not 1/4 cup of chopped cucumber AND 1/4 cup of broccoli AND 1/4 cup of chopped green pepper AND 1/4 cup of chopped onion. You may have but 1/4 cup TOTAL of any combination of veggies. Drat! 1/4 cup is indeedy doo a teensy little serving but as the days go by, it will be enough.

Shake it up and go for your goal, Brandi!
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby Guest » August 11th, 2004, 4:03 am

Thanks Nancy, Simmshe for clearing that up.......I knew 1/4 cup of each was too much, but I was hopin..... :D Anyway Here's day 2.........I think it will be a little easier today........I will check in again a little later.....Thanks for getting back to me and supporting me through this.

Hugs, & Have a WONDERFUL MFing DAY!

Brandi

Postby explorthis » August 11th, 2004, 7:53 am

I think the important thing here is, don’t spend every minute trying to figure what you can and cannot add to Medifast. Yes, lean/green is an option, and a perfectly acceptable method. The occasional pickle/celery etc, but if you (and I am speaking to Medifast readers in general) continue to search for everything you can have, adding a pinch of this, and a dash of that, then eventually the possibility to add more and more will come into play, then before you know it, your ¼ cup has turned in to “gosh what happened here” In my opinion, again we have to remember why we are here in the first place. Do the bare minimum. Stick as religiously to the program as you possibly can. Do not focus on what you can add to Medifast. Worry more about getting the weight off NOW, and realizing all the additions, and new ways of life are still going to be there once the weight is gone. Remember, the quicker we lose the weight, the happier we will be, and I promise you this. Medifast is not the most exciting thing in our daily lives, but, remember what Nancy says, and it is the GOSPEL: “Nothing Tastes As Good As Thin Feels”

Just a loser’s opinion.

-Mike
Was 337/223 is goal (about 40 to go)
explorthis

Yayy Brandi!

Postby SusannaRosannaDanna » August 11th, 2004, 8:32 am

Brandi I'm so glad you made it through your first day so well! What Sheryl said is true...the first few days you feel like you may be starving...LOL It does even out (or did for me, and is now again).
Because I have done this before, I knew what to expect the first few days, and knowing what to expect is one thing that keeps me true to plan--I don't want to have to repeatedly go through that!
You did great today!

Susanna
Started 8/2/2004
297/234/140
Next goal: 220!

Wow. That's all I know to say.
SusannaRosannaDanna
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Nancy » August 11th, 2004, 8:53 am

Oh, Mike, you gave excellent advice to Brandi and others! But that's what you do. I :heart: ya, Man!

Now Brandi Girl, we know that you are just getting started and there are some Medifast things you need to know and you will learn a whole lot about food, about yourself and about Foodies in general along the :D joyful journey to Thindom but take some of this juicy information from some of us seasoned vets to :heart: heart.

Get it in your noggin' right now so that you do not have to do "Do Overs." :x

Stick as religiously to the program as you possibly can. Do not focus on what you can add to Medifast. Worry more about getting the weight off NOW, and realizing all the additions, and new ways of life are still going to be there once the weight is gone.

I totally agree...IF foodies were able to deal appropriately with food, we would not need Medifast...

Remember Jack Nicholson's famous line in the movie, A Few Good Men, "You can't handle the truth!"

My dear Foody Friends, the real truth for you to glean here is this,

"You can't handle food!"

I'd suggest that you go back and read my February Newsletter about messin' with Medifast. Here's the link, Little Darlin' for your reading pleasure...

http://www.makemethinner.com/newsletter/medifast-february-newsletter.htm

I used to be the queen of messin' with DIEts and my former QUEEN size proves it.

The beauty of it is that Medifast is really rather simple.

1. Fill a little plastic jar about 3/4 full with icy cold H2O
2. Rip off the top of a packet of your fave MF flave
3. Dump it into the little plastic jar & lick up any spilled MF powder from the counter
4. Put the lid on your little shaker jar really really tight
5. Shake the jar until your chinny chin chins and the flab on the back of your arms flaps back and forth a few times.
6. Drink your shake slowly.
7. Follow with a water chaser.
8. IMMEDIATELY wash out the little plastic jar or be faced with the world's worst gnarly smellin' stanktified jar you'll ever encounter...
9. Set your cell phone alarm for three hours and when it goes off, see # 1-9 and begin all over again.
10. Amaze yourself and your friends, family and jealous associates as you slowly melt away...

Be SURE to read and re-read your Quick Start book. Carry it with you and whenever you have an opportunity read it! It gives you a lot of the basic information that you need to know. Order the book, Success in a Shaker Jar - it will tell you even more the things you need to know. It is WELL worth the financial investment.

If you are Medifasting for a month, sure you will lose weight but if you are Medifasting for LIFE, you will enjoy life-long health, wellness and thindom.

Whatcha gonna choose? A month or a lifetime? :roll:

I FINALLY got smart. I opted for the later and am lovin' every moment of it! ;)
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Brandi NY » August 12th, 2004, 4:34 am

Hello....well day #2 went fine though I did have to come home from work and go to bed due to a headache......But, today is day #3 and I weighed this a.m. and have already lost 3.5 lbs.....WOOHOO!!!!! I am soooo excited....How often should I weigh in ? I am so excited to see what MF will do for me. I am going camping with family and freinds this weekend and am a little nervous about staying on plan....anyone have any strategies or advice? I hope you all have a WONDERFUL MFing DAY!!!!!!
I'll be checking in again later.....

Hugs,
Brandi :D
279/?/160
1st Goal 250
2nd Goal 225
3rd Goal 199
Final Goal...........160.......I think....

1 Day Down...........a LIFETIME to GO!
Brandi NY

Next

Return to Come on in.