Exercise...Slowed Weight Loss?

Introduce yourself to the forum.
(Guests Welcome)

Exercise...Slowed Weight Loss?

Postby StrivingSister » March 31st, 2006, 9:22 pm

First, to all the other newbies and oldbies, congratulations, and I look forward to reading about your successes!

OKAY.

It's been six weeks, yay! So, it's time to start with a little exercise. I was considering lifting weights (Just Danskin dumbells) for my 10-15 minutes INSTEAD of doing cardio. I figure that since muscle burns more calories, in the long run, this would be better for my overall metabolism. In addition, I would be toning up.

This could be my potential regimen: an 8-day week.
Day 1: Legs
Day 2: Chest & Back
Day 3: Shoulders & Arms
Day 4: Abs
Repeat for Days 5-8
(I could make it a 10-day week and add a day of rest)

There's not much that can be done in 10-15 minutes with sets and repetitions and everything. I figure one exercise with 2 (max 3) sets per muscle group. I know the quick start guide says says for us to start with 10 minutes of walking or something light 3x per week, but I REALLY don't think this is too too much?

Honestly, cardio makes me feel kinda weak...and that's pre-MF! I don't think I could handle it during MF. I just feel like this would be better for me in the long run. I won't be panting, and I feel the regimen is doable for me. It's not too much, like 1 hour of weight lifting with complicated, strenuous exercises that are difficult to maintain [oh, me and my Lucille Roberts membership(s)!]

So, what EXACTLY slows the weight loss when someone exercises with MF?
Is it...
Burning waaaayy too many calories than you take in, depriving the body?
OR
Is the person just gaining muscle weight (like with strength training)?

Thoughts?
Last edited by StrivingSister on March 31st, 2006, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 30-5'6 1/2"
Start: 2/18/06-5&1
Last Weigh-In: 9/19/06
3rd Mini: 50 by 7/30-Met 7/18!
4th Mini: 65 by 9/17-60.2
StrivingSister
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Pashta » March 31st, 2006, 9:28 pm

I can't really do cardio either because of my mitral valve prolapse (leaky heart valve), it makes me weak and I can faint if I exert myself too much. One of the reasons I have a problem losing weight and turned to Medifast.

I intend to do pilates and yoga again once the exercise time comes up for me. Those are great for muscle-building and flexibility. :) Maybe you should look into it, too!
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby StrivingSister » March 31st, 2006, 9:39 pm

I huuuuuuuuuurrt myself with Pilates last year! Whew! It was NOT for a person like me who was bottom heavy and out of shape. I applaude and am slightly jealous of :mrgreen: those of you who can benefit from such an activity!

I never really thought about yoga. From what I've heard, I think that something like that is best learned by a professional one on one, or at least in a class setting? Due to my having to be completely covered outside of the house (I am a Muslim), that would not be possible :( .
Age 30-5'6 1/2"
Start: 2/18/06-5&1
Last Weigh-In: 9/19/06
3rd Mini: 50 by 7/30-Met 7/18!
4th Mini: 65 by 9/17-60.2
StrivingSister
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby DogMa » March 31st, 2006, 10:17 pm

As for the original question, it's a very individual thing. Some people exercise on Medifast and lose just fine. Personally, I can't exercise on pretty much ANY plan and still lose weight. And it's not just the muscle gain; everything just kind of stops for me if I do anything resembling a workout. I'm waiting till I fit into my goal size (just one more!) and then I figure I can work out to tighten things up.

You pretty much just have to try it and see.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Loribug » March 31st, 2006, 10:44 pm

The problem with too much exercise is that you take in so few calories as it is, then you burn them off, it puts your body in the "starvation phase" where it stores everything you put in your mouth.
Loribug

Postby DogMa » March 31st, 2006, 11:10 pm

The question is how much is too much, and that seems to vary. For me, ANY amount throws me off. When our office bathroom was closed and I kept going upstairs to use the other one, THAT was enough to stop me. For a while, I kept trying different things because I felt bad about not working out. But I've been losing much more steadily (still slowly, but at least more steadily) since I stopped.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa

Postby Pashta » April 1st, 2006, 8:03 am

Nah, there are a few very good yoga videos out there you can use. :) They non-strenuous and very very good to make you flexible, and also give you some muscles too! I admit the pilates were tough for me at first, especially being only 6 weeks after having my baby, but I kept with it and after a week or so I could do almost all of them! :mrgreen:

BTW, I have a heavy bottom as well. ;)
- Tonia

Pashta

Postby bzlife1967 » April 1st, 2006, 8:29 am

Pashta, Ive been wanting to start the pilates, but having never done it I was wondering if you could recommend a good starter tape? There are so many out there. I was actually looking at the pilates for dummies tapes. Remember Im a beginner!! Thanks in advance.
Friends are angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly!
Highest 289
MF 250/216/150
Restart 02/27/07
bzlife1967
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Pashta » April 1st, 2006, 8:50 am

I used Denise Austin's "Mat Workout Based on the Work of J.H. Pilates" and did the first section there. Don't bother with the 2nd yoga part, she does it too fast I couldn't keep up and she didn't explain it well.

BTW, I lost a whole inch in my hips and waist after a couple weeks of doing them. (No weight loss though, to my chagrin.) This one is AWESOME for building up that "baby pouf" part of our tummies, the one that is the HARDEST to work, you know, the lower abdomen? It works it!

It is hard at first, I just did what I could and over time I got better and better at it. :) I'll pm you a direct link to where you can buy it cheapest. (Amazon)
- Tonia

Pashta

Postby Mom23 » April 1st, 2006, 9:10 am

If I may chime in here :puter: -- the Pilates for Dummies is a very good intro to Pilates as well as the Giaim series of Pilates - "Beginning Mat workout".

A great place to go for info about home workout videos/DVD's is a site called (usual w's) dot videofitness dot com. There is NO diet talk allowed there, but the people there can offer all sorts of opinions on different instructors, workouts, etc. It's where I go to check out what's going on in the home fitness world. :treadjog:

Hope I've helped!
Bobbi
RE-start date: 10/27/06 (33lbs lost; 12 gained=21 lost on MF prior to re-start)
Mom23
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Dayna » April 1st, 2006, 11:02 am

If you're going to be doing weights instead of cardio, at least make sure that you do something to get yourself warmed up. I'm no fitness expert, by any means, but I'm fairly certain that if you just start lifting on cold muscles you run a pretty high risk of injuring yourself. Even marching (or dancing, or jogging) in place for 5 minutes would be better than nothing. Not enough to wipe you out, just enough to get your muscles warm and your blood flowing. And don't forget your stretching. :mrgreen:

Have you ever tried circuit training? I imagine it is something that could be adapted to your living room fairly well. You do a short period of in-place cardio (enough to keep your heart rate in the target zone), then a short period of weights. You keep going back and forth. It seems like, for toning, it's the best of both worlds, and is sometimes easier (in my experience) than just going full out on a treadmill for 40 minutes. And more fun. That's basically what the Curves gyms are based on.

Otherwise, have you ever tried any of the old work out videos? I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I LOVE the Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies series. They're so much fun! And there are people on there who look like me! Or bigger than me, even! I've also got my old standby, Jane Fonda's Favorite Fat Burners. It's easy to adjust intensity when following those videos, so that I don't end up panting or feeling week.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

- Dayna
Someone once wrote:I'm allergic to cake. I break out in fat when I eat it.

8/05 - 275
SD - 1/17/06 - 259

Dayna

Postby JustJeni » April 1st, 2006, 1:43 pm

Hello! I'm not sure if it slowed me down or not but I'm happy with my results so far. Prior to MF I was already eating healthy and working out 5-7 days a week. Lost 12 pounds my first month without MF. Started MF and didn't workout my first week due to afraid of being weak. I have been working out 3-6 days a week since week#2. I do 45 minutes of aerobics at least 3 to 4 days and then just weight training the other 2 days, just depends. I'm down 16.2 pounds and very happy. Now this past week has been hard for me in the food area. I have been wanting to eat everything in site. Haven't stuck to plan. Need to get back in the MF groove! Anyway hope this helps you!
♥♥Jeni♥♥
JustJeni
Preferred member

Hi

Postby dede4wd » April 1st, 2006, 2:48 pm

Hi Striving sister...

Happy to hear you've made it through as many weeks as you have. Way to go!

I started "exercising" two weeks ago. I started walking 12-15 minutes a day at least 5 times a week. Leisurely strolls if I'm out on the street, a little faster if I'm on the treadmill. I'm definitely taking it easy. I can feel it in my glutes and thighs though, so I'm doing something...

I've started out this week with my exercise ball, just the usual, abs, butt, legs & thigh work, but not for too long. I haven't pulled out the exercise tape.

Pilates people. I do have the Winsor Pilates and I like them a lot when I'm not by my pilates machine (which is never!). I haven't started that back up yet.

Good luck and I'll let you know if I'm slowing my weight loss down, but I haven't so far!

DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Arklahoma » April 1st, 2006, 3:28 pm

Be careful with the exercise regimens. When I contacted MF regarding this, I was told:

Weight training CAN slow down weight loss for two basic reasons:

1) You can prematurely build muscle before losing all your desired fat. Muscle weighs more than fat so you may even notice a weight gain.

2) Too much exercise puts your body in "survival mode" and can drastically slow down weight loss as a natural defense to an overworked body.

Medifast recommends LIGHT cardio exercise no more than three times a week, 10 - 30 minutes each time depending on experience level. Listen to your body...

:goodluck:
Arklahoma

Postby Diana » April 1st, 2006, 4:02 pm

Hey, StrivingSister!

There's a book, "8 Minutes in the Morning for Real Sizes," or something like that by....Jorge Cruise....perhaps?... pretty sure the last name is Cruise...and there's a J floating around in the first name somewhere.

He's got his own eating plan in there (totally ignore that part), but the exercises look reasonable -- just getting people moving, no special equipment. A little cardio warm up (marching in place) and a rotation similar to what you've planned, but a 28-day cycle WITH rests on the 7th day.

My layperson's thoughts on this: choose a focus. The MF program is muscle sparing, so we're not losing any/much, and once we're in maintenance, there will probably be time for firming and toning. AND a better conditioned cardio system should further support more aggressive and focused muscle work.

Here's to our mutual success!
Diana
Here's to our mutual success! :buddies: --Diana
Diana
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Next

Return to Come on in.