A Dreaded Plateau

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

A Dreaded Plateau

Postby Sylvia » July 14th, 2004, 7:17 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been chugging along here losing pretty steadily (if not always as quickly as I would have liked). That is, until 10 days ago. Suddenly, everything has come to a grinding halt. I thought I would provide some info about what I've been doing so those of you who have been through this can give me some advice. If I just need to wait it out, I can deal with that, but if there's anything I can do to move past this that would obviously make me much happier!

So I've been on the program for about 10 weeks with a goal of losing 75 pounds. I have lost 32 so far. Subtracting my 8 lb. loss in the first week, I have consistently lost between 2 and 3.5 lbs a week with an average loss of a little over 2.5.

Here is my typical day:

7:30 shake or oatmeal
10:30 Shake
1:00 Bar
4:00 shake
7:00 MF soup and small green salad

One or two times a week I use the modified plan and add a few ounces of lean meat to this plan (sometimes I substitute it for the soup and only have 4 supplements and a modified meal).

I drink a ton of water 120-140 ounces a day during the week and about 80 ounces on the weekend.

I have been exercising a bit - 20 minutes per day 4-5 days a week on a stationary bike. I have also added some crunches and push ups. I also went and lifted weights yeasterday - light weights for toning - and plan to do that twice a week. I also plan to add an extra shake on the days I both lift weights and do the bike.

If anyone has any tips or things I might change, please let me know. If you have inspirational stories about riding a plateau out and then losing a ton of weight, that would be good too! I'm definitely in need of motivation!

Thanks!

Sylvia
Sylvia
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Jeanette » July 14th, 2004, 7:21 am

Sylvia:

Your daily meal routine and water intake looks pretty good. Try upping your bike riding to 30 minutes a day.

You can also switch off the biking with the walking and see if that makes a difference.

But most important of all--BE PATIENT. Plateaus are temporary. If you follow the program 100% you can do NOTHING but lose.

Good luck!
Jeanette :star:
(340) 325/300/180
"Discipline is simply choosing between what you want now and what you want the most."--Unknown
PROGRESS, not PERFECTION
Jeanette
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby Carrie » July 14th, 2004, 7:56 am

Hi Sylvia,

I did notice that perhaps some days you aren't getting the minimum of 3 shakes a day.....maybe that has something to do with it?

Also it sounds like you are changing up your exercise routine - especially with activities that add muscle. You may be in the process of building some muscle, so though your scale isn't going down you may be getting smaller. Of course this is only temporary and soon your new muscles will be working burning fat for you.

Keep up the good work, the scale will start to drop again.

Carrie
Now: 2/5/07: 233.6/220.0/145
1st time: 3/1/04, from 266.5 to 195.4
Carrie

Postby Sylvia » July 16th, 2004, 12:15 pm

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. Carrie - I was actually already thinking along the lines you suggested and have changed my schedule to make sure I have at least 3 shakes a day.

I am happy to report that I FINALLY lost another pound. I am hopeful that I've broken out of this rut and that many more pounds will melt away over the next few days. Also proud of myself for keeping squarely on the program even during this period of frustration.
Sylvia

Return to The Weight Room