Donna

1 Thread per registered User.

Donna

Postby Donna » May 14th, 2007, 4:46 pm

So, this is my journal.

Hmmm, do I say Dear Journal? Never had an online journal before. Guess we’ll just have to see how it goes.

For now, I 'll just start with

"Hello Journal!" :wave: And to anyone reading this, I'll just say, "Hello, Peeps!" :kool:

I started MF on Saturday, May 12, 2007. I figured the weekend was a good time to start so by early in the next week I’d be in ketosis. Little did I consider that my family would take me out for Mother’s Day – the 2nd day on MF. More on that in a sec.

My first day I weighed in with my brand new Tanita scale which said I was 213.6. That was a shocker bec my old scale said 223. I was afraid to trust the results, but hey- everyone says these scales are super accurate, so I guess I will trust it. That might also explain why I always weigh less at the doctor’s office than I do at home.

After weighing in, I wrote down all my measurements. Then I headed for the kitchen for my first shake. Didn’t like it much, but didn’t think about it, either. I’m on a mission here – to lose my excess weight this year once and for ALL!

The first day was fine – not even one itty bitty hunger pang or craving. :yay:

Second day was Mother’s Day. I woke up and was down to 210.6 – a 2.4 lb loss! YAY! :yes:

Then my kids informed me later that day that they wanted to take me out to eat. :shock: We left in separate vehicles for Golden Corral and their horribly tempting buffet. Hubby and I arrived first with our youngest. Then our oldest - who had left 15 min before us - showed up last with our other 3 kids. They stopped to get me fresh flowers on the way. So pretty…pink, blue, yellow, purple…. :heart:

It was really hard watching everyone eat stuff I couldn’t have. Or should I say watching everyone STUFF what I couldn’t eat? LOL

I seriously had an ongoing battle in my head about whether it would be okay to just eat whatever and then start over the next day. AFter all...I'd only been on plan 1 day, and if I'd realized we were going out to eat for Mother's Day, I would have postponed starting until Monday.

But, I turned my back on the temptations and instead ate a chicken breast, salad and large diet Dr. Pepper. :bow:

After we ate we went to the local Putt Putt for a game of mini golf, where we all really stunk! LOL We used to play all the time, but it’s been a few years and it showed! But, we still had fun.

I was really proud of myself that I stuck to my goals and didn’t cave to my cravings at the restaurant. But, the rest of the day I had terrible cravings for things I couldn’t have, just because I SAW the food at the restaurant. :dooh:

So, that’s a bit of a struggle. Even tho I am keeping to my resolve & not eating the no-no’s, it is still difficult to put them out of my head when I see others eating them. Esp around kids who are snacking all the time.

That brings me to today - Day 3. I am down another half pound. I was hoping for more, but then I reminded myself I’m only on the third day and I’m already down 3 lbs. That’s a good amount for one week, already. I am not going to depress myself with discouraging thoughts! So, goodie for me!

As I sit and write this up now it is 7:00 pm – about supper time. I just happened to notice the ring on my right finger is super dooper loose! How cool is that!?!? :woohoo:

What I’m finding easy about the plan so far is I am not hungry at all, which came as a surprise.

What is a struggle is steering clear of old habits. I like to watch Dr. Phil every day, and that has become my time to relax. Some people have their noon-time “stories” and I have Philly Boy. But, that is also my time to MUNCH. Also, we like to watch family movies at night and that’s when everyone cranks out the :popcorn: So, I am having to plan around those things by drinking water to stay occupied or having one of my MF packets.

Another thing I’m VERY aware of is NOT accidentally putting something in my mouth when I’m preparing food for the kids. I’m a SAHM w/5 kids so I’m making snacks and meals for them all day long. It is amazing how many times I’ve had to remind myself NOT to pop a tidbit in my own mouth. But, so far so good. :thumbup:

Finally, so far I’m not really enjoying the MF food. :eyecrazy: I didn’t like it when I tried the plan 2 years ago, either. But, honestly...I don’t really care this time around. Right now I feel like I have to lose my weight before I end up with serious health issues. It’s a life or death choice for me. I choose life. I choose weight loss. I choose MF. I just hope I can keep this in my head weeks down the road.

There were lots of other weight loss programs I have tried, but I think I need MF bec it has less food options to play around with and get tempted by. It’s pretty straightforward and I don’t have to think about what to eat. I make my shake and I’m done.

Well…I wrote a book, and this was supposed to just be a journal entry. I don't really plan on writing every day, but since this is my first week, I wanted to record what is going on for future reference.

Until next time.... :byebye:
Last edited by Donna on May 14th, 2007, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna :)
"I am able to do more for you than you could possibly imagine." Eph 3:20-21

STARTED - 5/12/2007
PROGRESS - 213/204.8/115

Donna
Trusted Member

Postby Tawanda » May 14th, 2007, 5:43 pm

Donna, you've got a great start going and your mindset is such that you will be a MF success!
Began MediFast 2/10/07 212#
Reached Goal 3/15/08 147#
Renewed commitment 9/20/09-after regaining 38# (185#)
Reached Goal 1/25/10 147# Maintaining :)
Tawanda
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Re: Donna

Postby bikipatra » May 14th, 2007, 7:23 pm

Donna wrote:

Finally, so far I’m not really enjoying the MF food. :eyecrazy: I didn’t like it when I tried the plan 2 years ago, either. But, honestly...I don’t really care this time around. Right now I feel like I have to lose my weight before I end up with serious health issues. It’s a life or death choice for me. I choose life. I choose weight loss. I choose MF. I just hope I can keep this in my head weeks down the road.

:

I think this is a great attitude. Someone would have to have been living in a cave to think that food out of an envelope is gourmet cuisine. I already did have serious health issues related to my weight and lifestyle and I told myself this-"Look you are not at The Ritz-Carlton. You will eat this way for a proscribed amount of time. Now drink the shake." I chose life too. I think you can keep it in your head because it becomes easier. You get used to the flavors and may actually like a few. You may laugh when some like new products you think are vile and embrace other non-favorites. But it in the end, it is the process, not how those things taste that matters. If nothing else look at it as just rewards for tasting TOO MUCH of the good life.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Re: Donna

Postby DonicaB » May 14th, 2007, 7:32 pm

Donna wrote:

There were lots of other weight loss programs I have tried, but I think I need MF bec it has less food options to play around with and get tempted by. It’s pretty straightforward and I don’t have to think about what to eat. I make my shake and I’m done.

This is exactly why I love MF. :heart: I don't really want to have too many choices because (obviously) I haven't really done too well with that in the past. If a plan gives me lots of choices......I start making too many choices and generally they are not the right ones. I like knowing exactly what I can have and it's simple to understand and follow the MF plan.

You have an excellent attitude and the right motivation. :thumbup: You will do well!!

Doni
DonicaB
Preferred member

Postby ChynnaDoll » May 15th, 2007, 8:00 am

Donna, i really love your mindset now. You CAN do this!! :-P Just one day at a time, and you WILL definitely have a great reward waiting for you..pounds GONE!!!!

I never liked the "chilli"..lol!

So glad you're here!!!

Chynna~
ChynnaDoll
Preferred Member - #30 Club

day 4

Postby Donna » May 15th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Wow, people are posting in my journal – how cool! :bouncie:

Thanks for the encouragement! :D I feel so special! :exercise:

Today is day 4. I am down 5 lbs. I am reallllly tired. I woke up at 7 and just couldn’t get up. I felt really wiped. Drifted in and out of :snooze: until 9 when I started to get up again. Still couldn’t get up. My 18yo came in at 11 and woke me up. I was horrified at the hour. :shock: I never EVER sleep in! I never EVER take naps. I very rarely sleep more than 4 or 5 hours a night. So, this was huge for me.

The rest of the day I’ve been pretty tired. I was walking pre-MF for 40 min every day. So, I decided to try it today, because I hadn’t walked since starting the program and missing it makes me feel guilty. But, I had to cut it back by a third – and even that really drained me.

I’m noticing lots of digestive disturbances :oops: and remember last time I tried MF 2 years ago, I had to take Lactaid. I forgot about that. So, I’m trying that today to see if it helps. I’m also having lots of heartburn for which I already take medicine. Hopefully that will just go away once I adjust to the products.

I tried to make oatmeal for b-fast this morning. LOL – total flop. The first packet came out like soup and I gave up nuking it and dumped it out. I think it had too much water. I tried a 2nd time with less water. The oatmeal congealed into a round disc in the middle while the rest of it stayed like soup. Dumped that, too, and just went for a shake.

I’m mixing my shakes with diet soda and have decided they taste good that way. Strawberry shake w/diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper. I also like the chocolate. Haven't tried any other flavors.

I tried chili yesterday and added 3 cut-up grape tomatoes and about 1 tsp of diced red onion and Mrs. Dash spicy flavoring. It wasn't so bad. I’m thinking I’ll trade my oatmeal in for chili and shakes while I still have time to do so.

Overall, I’m not really hungry at all on MF. Despite that, I still have the desire to snack, especially when afternoon hits. I feel like a lion prowling in its cage a little bit. :pace: Today I had some celery and a kosher spear during Philly Boy. Even tho it's allowed, I felt guilty having food that wasn't a shake or my L&G.

I definitely feel lighter w/only a 5 lb loss. My stomach feels less bloated and my ankles aren’t swollen anymore. :yes:

I’ve been checking out the Lean Cuisine posts. May try some of those ideas eventually. Right now I don’t want to get too creative :chef: – rather just stick to the simplest things and then as I need variety I’ll try a recipe or two. Since I'm in this for the long haul, I'm guessing there's plenty of time to work on variety.

I can’t wait to see where I end up in a month. I'm determined not to go another summer feeling fat and hopeless. Dem days are over, baby! :thumbsup:

I’m really hoping I’ll have lost most, if not all, of my weight by my b-day next February. And, it would be so cool to be transitioning and maintaining by next summer! Guess I'll have to wait and see how my body responds.

Until next time. :byebye:

STARTED - 5/12/2007
PROGRESS - 213/204.8/115

Donna
Trusted Member

Re: day 4

Postby Mike » May 15th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Donna wrote:I tried to make oatmeal for b-fast this morning. LOL – total flop. The first packet came out like soup and I gave up nuking it and dumped it out. I think it had too much water. I tried a 2nd time with less water. The oatmeal congealed into a round disc in the middle while the rest of it stayed like soup. Dumped that, too, and just went for a shake.

Donna,
Personally, I love the oatmeal, but it does take a little experience to get it "just right". I add the oatmeal to the bowl, then stir in the water (and SF flavorings - caramel, english toffee, cinnamon, etc). Nuke it 1 min, stir again, nuke for 30 sec to 1 min depending on how liquidy it was when I checked at 1 min. Usually, that does it perfectly. :eat:

Also, check the recipes in Lean Cuisine for the Oatmeal cookies, the pancakes, and the brownies. They all are pretty tasty.
(Pancakes being my own personal favorite :flip: )

:mrgreen:
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby katieb920 » May 16th, 2007, 5:26 am

Wow Donna You are doing fabulous. I was the same way when I first started the program, that I just did not want to get out of Bed. It does get easier. And trust me girl you will lose that weight by Feb. Keep up the great job.
Katie
Katie
katieb920
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby BiggerInTexas » May 16th, 2007, 6:07 am

Welcome to the program! Congrats on your great attitude! I was SO sleepy - and hungry! - the first week. Drinking all the water helps a lot with the munchies. I'll have to try mixing the shakes with diet soda. I've heard that's a great way to go but haven't tried it yet!

Wow - Five kids! :shock: I bet you really have more energy that you realize! You must have a lot of patience, too!
BiggerInTexas

hi

Postby Donna » May 16th, 2007, 7:57 am

Mike, I had the maple oatmeal this morning. I added less water and some cinnamon, set it on 30 min at 70% power and it wasn't so bad! I used to always eat oatmeal pre-MF for breakfast, so it's definitely a texture & flavor diff, but I think I will keep the box. I will try some of those recipes you mentioned...oatmeal cookies - yum-yum!

Katie - thanks! Oh...I do hope I get more energy. I was such a slug this morning, too. I managed to pull myself out of bed earlier this time, but it was rough. Still, knowing I might have lost some more weight kept me motivated to get up and check the scale! LOL

Hi Texas! Thanks for the welcome. Let me know what you think of mixing the shakes with soda! I find it much better than cold water.

STARTED - 5/12/2007
PROGRESS - 213/204.8/115

Donna
Trusted Member

Postby bikipatra » May 16th, 2007, 8:38 am

I feel so lucky. I just pop my oatmeal in the microwave for 45 seconds and it is done. I know all microwaves are different. If it is too thick, I add a bit of water and stir while it is still hot to a perfect consistancy.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra

oatmeal

Postby Donna » May 16th, 2007, 9:49 am

When I first joined, someone mentioned that MF might be adding almonds to the approved foods. If that happens, I was thinking it might add a nice little crunch to the oatmeal!

I'm off to go have a shake for lunch. I am getting behind today. That is my biggest challenge - remembering to eat every 2 - 3 hours. I'm a life-long habitual meal skipper.

STARTED - 5/12/2007
PROGRESS - 213/204.8/115

Donna
Trusted Member

shakin

Postby Donna » May 16th, 2007, 3:20 pm

After shakin all day long, I feel like I'm cheating when I eat a L&G. So half the week I've been doing the complete program. But, today I was really feeling hunger for the first time on the program and REALLY REALLY craving all the stuff my family was eating.

I was feeling edgy, irritable and ready to pick a fight (hmmm...maybe I should have checked my blood sugar).

My husband offered to have a salad with me and I snapped at him and said, "you should eat a salad anyway for your own health - not just to do it WITH me. I don't even know if I WANT a salad. Maybe I'll have a MF meal or MAYBE I'll have steamed veggies." Aaargh. :? :x :twisted: :(

As soon as it was out of my mouth I realized I needed FOOD and just went for the salad w/turkey on it. I feel somewhat better, but still slightly irritable - and slightly guilty for eating it. So ridiculous!

I am also for the first time (since shakin) having those feelings of woe that I can't eat whatever I want. Makes me realize how much more I really need to focus on the benefits of why I'm doing this.

Breathe, focus, this is all part of my body adjusting....

Good thing I have a wonderful, understanding hubby.... :oops:

STARTED - 5/12/2007
PROGRESS - 213/204.8/115

Donna
Trusted Member

Postby ChynnaDoll » May 16th, 2007, 4:37 pm

Donna wrote:
As soon as it was out of my mouth I realized I needed FOOD and just went for the salad w/turkey on it. I feel somewhat better, but still slightly irritable - and slightly guilty for eating it. So ridiculous!

Hi there Donna!!! Why are you feeling guilty about the salad w/turkey on it? I think that's allowed isn't it you all?? I know we can have poultry...hmmmm! Well anyway i think you're doing GREAT with things:+)) It WILL get easier as time goes on!

And YES!..."understanding" hubbies ARE the BEST:+)!

Chynna~
ChynnaDoll

thanks

Postby Donna » May 16th, 2007, 6:37 pm

Hi Chynna,
Thanks - I'm guessing it will get easier as my body adjusts. The turkey is allowed - what I mean is I'm so used to drinking liquids all day long that by the time I get to the L&G it feels like I'm cheating. LOL

But, I do feel better having had it. I'm having terrible cravings tonight, tho. I just keep drinking water to fill myself up and am trying not to think about it - except my kids keep making popcorn and bagel bites for their munchies.

Kids gotta love'em!

STARTED - 5/12/2007
PROGRESS - 213/204.8/115

Donna
Trusted Member

Next

Return to My Journal