Disappointed and Discouraged :(

Post your weight loss successes or failures here...:)

Disappointed and Discouraged :(

Postby GucciGoo » May 8th, 2006, 3:39 am

Well, I started Medifast on Friday and was absolutely perfect on it all weekend. No cheating at all. I lost 1 pound after day one, and another after day two. Then today I woke up and I am back up those two pounds to 175.

I am about to cry. This happens on every diet. I lose a pound or two, get all excited, and then the weight goes back up for no reason.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong. The only things I can think of is that I have been having my last shake at 9:30-10:00 at night. Or drinking crystal light as my water. Is that a problem? I thought we could do that.

Please help! I am so sad about this. It seems like NO diet will work for me.

Here are my three days of eating:

DAY ONE
7:00 Oatmeal & 16 oz ice water
9:00 16 oz ice water
11:00 Shake
12:00 Broth
12:30 32 oz water
2:00 Granola bar
4:00 Broth, diet coke
5:00 Banana Shake
7:30 Chicken, asparagus, mushrooms
10:30 Shake

DAY TWO
7:30 am Oatmeal
10:15 am Shake & 32 oz water
12:30 Soup & Pickle slice
2:30 Granola Bar, 16 oz water
4:30 Broth & Pickle slice
5:00 Shake
7:30 Flounder with garlic, mushrooms and tomatoes, 16 oz
water with Crystal Light
9:30 Shake

DAY THREE
9:00 Oatmeal & 16 oz water
11:30 Shake
1:45 Granola bar
2:10 Broth, 16 oz water w/ Crystal Light
3:30 Pickle
4:00 Soup, celery sticks with salt, pepper & seasonings
7:30 Hamburger, onions, mushrooms, 16 oz water w/ Crystal Light
9:30 Shake
10:00 16 oz water w/ crystal light
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby PJinCali » May 8th, 2006, 4:12 am

Hi BeachBaby,

So sorry you are discourged but you have to stick with it. 3 days on any diet is not going to produce any real weight loss. Make a decision to stick with it for 4 weeks at least. Get a calender and mark off the days. If you stick to the program for those 4 weeks as well as you have been these past 3 days you WILL lose weight. How long did it take you to gain the weight? I ask myself this question every time I get a little discourged about how long it take to really lose the weight (and I have way more to lose). It took me years to gain all this weight so I am going to invest the time necessary to take it off. My family needs me and I want to be here for them.

I am starting my third week and every day I make a decision to stick with it. I am really committed and determined but it is still a struggle. I was emotional the first week or so because the goal I have seems unatainable but I got over it. You can do it. Ask for help, ask for encouragement BUT DON'T GIVE UP :D

I hope to continue seeing you on the boards :hug:
20#5-21 - 120# forecast 3-3
40#7-09 - 130# forecast 4-2
60#8-31 - 140# forecast 5-2
80#10-22- 150# forecast 6-2
100#12-30 – 160# forecast 7-2
110# forecast 1-29
PJinCali
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby falisamarie » May 8th, 2006, 4:45 am

Don't be discouraged it is still very early and our weight WILL fluctuate. One note about the crystal lite is that you can use it as part of your 64oz which is to keep you hydrated while doing Medifast but it will not aide in weight loss the way that unaltered water will. I personally would try having at least some of your water unaltered but you can still have the Crystal Lite at times. Your schedule looks great just have patience and the weight will come off!

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie

Postby GucciGoo » May 8th, 2006, 5:43 am

It' just very disheartening. Sarya started the same day as me and she is down 8 pounds already. I was hoping to see something, anything, after 3 days of such a strict diet. The reason I always end up cheating is because if I am not losing, I might as well enjoy not losing, ie: eating Mexican food for dinner.

I had a baby in December and it seems that my body and metabolism are so screwed up. I was on WW for a month and was going to the gym 4 days a week- after a month I lost ZERO.

I just wonder if my body is not letting me lose.
BETH formerly known as Dark & Stormy
GucciGoo

Girllll,

Postby Ginabobina1969 » May 8th, 2006, 5:45 am

Ya Just started. As far as I can tell your schedule looks fine..you do not have to work this diet..just follow the quickstart guidelines, have PATIENCE, stay away from the scale if it is gonna mess with your head and know that this plan WILL work for you. If you are doing it by the book(and really it looks like you are) then you WILL lose weight, it is impossible NOT too.

I agree with Lisa on the water, Were to have 64 oz of unaltered water and then any noncaloric beverage we wish. I love crystal light too and have maybe a glass every couple days. But there are extra calories Day 3 you added an extra 40 calories by having crystal light with all your water.(5 calories to each 8 oz)..I really don't think that could make that much of a difference, personally but..since your body is still adjusting to reduced calories and carb shock and all...perhaps.?

Medifast is a tool, not a magic wand(don't we wish) :-P Use the tool and the instructions on how to use the tool and you will succeed. Patience Grasshopper :lol: you are doing fine.

Hugs,
Gina

Edited to add:
Your on day three or starting into day 4, rather which means your body is JUST now getting into ketosis. (the point where weight comes off faster)
Also, You cannot compare yourself to others on this plan reallllly. Sarya is starting off a little heavier then your starting weight and generally people who have more too lose, DO lose faster in for the first couple weeks or so. I Please just hang in there, stay away from the scale for at least 4 more days and stay on plan..you will be pleasantly surprised. Also, celebrate ANY success wether it be in inches, weight lost or just feeling healthier.
*telling self to shut up now..lol ;) HANG IN THERE!!!

Previously...02/16/06 BMI-50 276/188
Restart....03/31/2008 -failed
Restart 03/26/09 280/267 Failed
Restart-Awaiting order. I cannot even bear to post my current weight...yet.
Ginabobina1969
Preferred Member - 60# Club

Postby summerblue » May 8th, 2006, 6:39 am

hello!

First off............WELCOME to Medifast!

2nd - STAY OFF THE SCALE for at least a week.
I personally only weight myself ONCE A WEEK.....at first I had to have someone hide it from me because I was soooo tempted to sneak a peak. DON'T DO IT. Weight only ONE TIME PER WEEK and you'll be happy with those RESULTS - TRUST ME!

YOu can do it, if I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT!

We're here for you!
.........Mara
Start Date: September 17, 2006!!!!

DH also on MF, Kids Are 12 and 10 - and of course OAKLEY the dog :-)
summerblue
Trusted Member - #20 Club

Postby MusicalMomma » May 8th, 2006, 6:48 am

Hey the BB :hugblue: First I want to say that you're doing GREAT! Your schedule is good and you are following program.

You may want to add some more water to your diet. Like Falisamarie said, 64oz is what every body needs for hydration....adding more water helps flush out the fat.

I looked up Sarya (hope you don't mind me talking about you Sarya)...she has over twice as much to lose as you do, so she will lose a little more rapidly at first. The less you have to lose, the slower it comes off. Even those of us with more to lose, start to slow down as we get closer to goal.

Give this at least a month and see where you're at. I know you're discouraged, but you really are doing wonderful...you're sticking to the program and even keeping a very maticulous journal!! Give yourself some time to settle in to the swing of things and adjust :) I know you're going to do great if you just hang in there :)
MusicalMomma
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Sarya » May 8th, 2006, 6:50 am

Hi Beachbaby. I'm sorry you're not losing :( That's how I am on most diets! I'll tell you what I'm doing differently (from you and also from how I've dealt with previous diets). I don't have any snacks. No pickles, broth, etc. I had 1 celery stalk on one day. I'm also only drinking water. I'm not drinking crystal light or anything. You'll notice it has some amount of calories. Somehow there are more calories in aspartame than in splenda. I don't get it, but I was looking and saw that drink mixes with aspartame had calories listed and the ones with splenda didn't. Also, I'm not adding much salt to my food. I'm crazy CRAZY for salt. There's a lot of sodium in that broth and those things might be keeping you retaining water. I think a lot of my weight loss so far has been water weight. I've been drinking 16 glasses of pure water a day. Here's how a typical day for me goes:

8am: shake with 6 oz water
32 oz of water
10:30am: bar cut into tiny pieces and 16 oz of water (one bite, water, repeat)
16-32 oz of water
1pm: chili with hot sauce and chili powder. in 4 oz of water
32 oz of water
3pm: pudding with 4oz of water
32 oz of water
5pm: 7 oz chicken cooked with a spice rub and a spray of olive oil pam. 1.5 cups of frozen broccoli cooked in the microwave.
32 oz of water
7pm: shake with 6oz of water
random amounts of water

As you can see.. I'm floating away!!!! I can't stop peeing, but it's helping. I have a large glass that I fill with nice cold spring water and every time it empties I put more water in it and mark it off on my medifast.

As I said, I only had a snack one day it was a celery stalk with 1 tsp of hot sauce. I really think I'm consuming 25% or less sodium than I used to. I have to be! I used to use salt at every single meal. Not to mention I drank soda which has sodium in it, and ate high sodium foods.

If you have to have a snack consider limiting yourself. It looks like you're eating multiple snacks a day when you should only have 1. I wrote to Medifast to get access to the MyMedifast site and I love it because it tracks calories and nutrients for me. I haven't gone above 900 calories a day and if I eat chicken it's closer to 800.

I hope this helps. *hugs*

--S
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Sarya » May 8th, 2006, 6:57 am

MM it's ok to talk about me, I don't mind :) We're on this board for support and encouragement so it makes sense we'll mention each other :D For instance, I really like looking at FluffyNoMore's before and during post because her before pic reminds me of me! I get all bouncy inside just thinking about looking like her during pic. It's a great pick me up.

Just above I wrote down a typical day for me so that BB can compare. I'm so certain that this is water weight, and I know it has to be because I'm not using salt like I used to. You are right too.. I have a lot more to lose than BB so it makes sense that it would come off quicker. I gained weight on weight watchers :shock: , and it was made doubly worse when someone who weighed over 300 lbs would come in and say they lost 13 lbs. I'd be so discouraged even though I knew this was because they had more to lose than me. Weight loss is difficult as we all know, we just have to keep our chins up and stick with it.

--S
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Ct. Yankee » May 8th, 2006, 7:36 am

There isn't much of anything I can add to the other's suggestions. Pickles, broth and added salt in one day, might be causing big time water retention in you. I had some turkey meat last night that was salty and the scale showed it today, even though I drank all 64 oz of water yesterday. Don't think my body let go of the water retention yet, oh am I in for a night of running to the john!!!!

Maybe, try not having pickles, the extra salt on your celery, and maybe having sugar free jello or a sugar free popsicle instead as your extras. Like the others said, try drinking plain water. It really does get easier getting all the water down, as you go along. Just a thought! Stay with us, you will lose, this plan is different than any other plan out there, most important, it is a healthy plan. My best wishes to you for success!

Joan
Ct. Yankee
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby WillDoIt » May 8th, 2006, 7:36 am

Looks like you are consuming a lot of sodium in your broth, pickles, and any salt you add to anything else. I know that much salt would make a big difference in my water retention. I had about as much to lose as you, and it has always come off more slowly than most of the people on this forum. My suggestion would be to cut way back on the sodium (assuming you don't get light-headed like some people talk about) and see if the scale gives you a nice surprise in two or three days.
WillDoIt

Postby pixiewhispers » May 8th, 2006, 10:13 am

Hang in there...any good diet takes at least 2-4 weeks to show a big difference.

:exercise:
Mamie Ann
239/234/145
pixiewhispers
Trusted Member - #10 Club

Postby wildtrk » May 8th, 2006, 10:40 am

Obviously there has already been some great advice given. And I really don't know if what I have to add is relavent or not. But to use a sports analogy why not try shaking up the batting order. Instead of having your L&G at 7:30PM. Try moving that up a little or have it for lunch. I personally like to have my L&G at lunch. Since this is the bulk of my daily caloric intake, having it earlier in the day gives me a good energy boost for the afternoon. I also feel that it gives my body time to fully digest the meal and burn off some energy. Please understand that this is purely my own unscientific viewpoint and is strictly just my $.02.

My eating regime is probably more stringent than most others.

8:00AM - Shake (Normally make it last for an hour)
10:00AM - Bar (I try to eat it slow but sometimes it goes pretty fast)
12:00PM - L&G
6:00PM - Shake (Iknow big gap in time but honestly I am full from my L&G
9:30PM - Bar (Again, I try to make it last but doesn't always work that way.)

One caveat is that depending on the time I get home from work (normally 6:00PM) and my children's social calendar I will grab a bar fro my 6:00PM meal and have a shake at 9:30.

Also, on the weekends, if I do have my L&G for dinner I try not to eat NO later than 6:30PM.

Again, this is my schedule and it works for me. So far I am into my 3rd week and seeing some good success.

If you do anything just keep at it, because it is certainly better than the alternative!
327/247/199
MF Start Date 4/14/06
10# - 4/26 40# - 5/25 70# - 7/27
20# - 5/04 50# - 6/18 80# - 8/31
30# - 5/15 60# - 7/1

New Start Date 1/22/10
Starting weight 355/345/199
10# - 2/2/10

"How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously.
wildtrk
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Pashta » May 8th, 2006, 11:12 am

Wow Wildtrk, 2 bars a day and only a 4 and 1... well if it's working for you I guess that's good but it should be 5 supplements, one lean and green and only one bar a day. :)
- Tonia

Start: 03/20/06 (restart 3/19/07)
3 kids: 3 mos, 18 mos, 11 yrs old
Month 1: -4.4,-0.8,-4.0,-2.2 (-11.4, -7 in.)
Month 2: -1.6,-1.6,-3.4
Pashta

Postby BoPeep1 » May 8th, 2006, 11:22 am

Calorie-wise, it kinda works out since a bar is 150-170 calories - if he had a 5&1 with no bar it would be the same, the protein is what would be less though (at least I think).

Maybe cutting out the broth might help - it's got a ton of sodium in it and might make you retain some water.
-Brandi
Height 5'9"
Started MF on 4/3/06

BoPeep1
Preferred Member - 90# Club

Next

Return to The Weight Room