Diet sodas...

Questions/Comments about Weight loss Products.

Diet sodas...

Postby Mom2three » September 6th, 2006, 11:44 am

I started on the MF plan thru a clinic, and my MF advisor only wants me to have 1 diet soda per day or just 16 oz of other non-caloric fluid (other than water). They say its to keep the sodium level down, but there is only 35mg in a diet pepsi, yet they say I can have a pickle which has 350 mg??? I'm willing to live with all these restrictions, I just don't understand this one. If it was the caffiene, maybe I'd say okay, or even something with a few calories like Crystal light, but to say sodium is the reason, I'm just really confused. I don't have high blood pressure or anything.

Any body with any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any responses.... I'm very new to this board!
Mom2three
Regular Member - #20 Club

Postby Mike » September 6th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Typically the word is follow the Quick Start guide. You want at least 64 oz of pure, unaltered watewr and no more than 3 caffeinated drinks per day. Other non-caloric liquids are acceptable, but just make sure you have at least 64 oz of pure water a day. The general rule is take your weight, divide it in two and thats how many ounces of liquid each day you want to shoot for.
Pre WLS 460
Low after WLS 300
Start of MF 350
Previous MF low 280
Restart MF 330

I have to be careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business.
Mike
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby Prancer » September 6th, 2006, 2:09 pm

I think the point with the diet soda isnt the sodium as much as the caffine. I dont know exactly why though. I personally drink a Lg diet coke from McD every day. It is the one thing I havent given up since starting MF though I no longer keep cans of it in my house.
Prancer
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Mom2three » September 6th, 2006, 2:17 pm

Thanks Mike! Wow it looks like you are doing great with MF if I read
the 60# club right!

I am drinking about a gallon of water a day, so I know I'm getting enough of that... I'm only in my second week of the 5-1 plan, so I guess I'm just trying to justify why I can't have that second diet pepsi!! If something is zero calories, and the caffiene isn't stimulating my appetite (which I know it can), why put a limit on it (within reason of course) as long as I drink my water too??

Sorry, I'm kind of in a very "angry" mood this week because unlike the first week, during this second week I am really tired, have a had a headache, and have been very hungry. I haven't cheated, but being hungry just puts me in a bad mood - and I just want that diet pepsi!! :x
Mom2three

Postby wildtrk » September 6th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Mom2three wrote:Sorry, I'm kind of in a very "angry" mood this week because unlike the first week, during this second week I am really tired, have a had a headache, and have been very hungry. I haven't cheated, but being hungry just puts me in a bad mood - and I just want that diet pepsi!! :x

You may also be experiencing a little bit of a caffiene withdrawl.
327/247/199
MF Start Date 4/14/06
10# - 4/26 40# - 5/25 70# - 7/27
20# - 5/04 50# - 6/18 80# - 8/31
30# - 5/15 60# - 7/1

New Start Date 1/22/10
Starting weight 355/345/199
10# - 2/2/10

"How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously.
wildtrk
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Mom2three » September 6th, 2006, 2:24 pm

JennP - you snuck in there on me!!

I was thinking it was the caffiene too, but I wish they would have said that. I'll ask the MF advisor on Friday at my weigh in. I was too upset at the last visit to ask any questions..... didn't like getting raked over the coals for having 4 wheat thin crackers on a day I worked out and burned over 500 calories! OK, I know its the Ketosis thing - but at the time, I was angry (not at anyone in particular, just in a bad mood!!). I'm working thru it!!
Mom2three

Postby Mom2three » September 6th, 2006, 3:02 pm

wildtrk - congrats on your weight loss as well - wow, that is awesome!

I guess it could be caffiene withdrawl, but my highest total I normally had a day was 3 - 12oz cans, and normally it was two. Oh well.... I'm sure this phase will pass. All of you here seemed to have lost so much more weight than even my goal (30 pounds), such and inspiration... I CAN do this.....
Mom2three

Postby kendra_m » September 6th, 2006, 3:03 pm

I've also read that caffeine is an appetite stimulant. And agree with wildtrk, part of the mood thing might be caffeine withdrawal... combined with carb withdrawal... (doesn't make for happy campers!)

:hatch: Finding the new me!!
--------------
10# - 9/11/06
20# - 9/24/06
30# - 11/5/06
40# - 11/19/06
kendra_m

Postby Arklahoma » September 6th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Caffeine and artificial sweetners can stimulate appetite in some people, but I do not suffer from those issues, so I don't restrict my consumption; however, I did cut back dramatically just so I could increase my water consumption. It's best to follow the diet (and your personal health care professional) to the letter, but if you need a little extra diet soda ... I personally wouldn't lose any sleep about it.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby Serendipity » September 6th, 2006, 7:16 pm

I'm with you Ark. Doesn't bother me so I don't worry about it.
jo
276/135 since December 1, 2006
"Grandma, how did you make yourself so little?", My grandson, Jake
Serendipity
Preferred Member - #140 Club
Preferred Member - #140 Club

Postby Sarya » September 7th, 2006, 6:46 am

It doesn't bother me either from an appetite stimulant point. I grew up drinking sugary soda, and I'll tell you. Somedays I am really good at getting 64 oz of plain water in and other days it's all diet soda or watered down crystal light. :oops: I know I should try to do better, but sometimes I just can't stomach drinking another sip of plain water. I always make sure to get in plenty of liquids overall though.

I think that if you want that extra diet soda in a day try it and see what happens. If it makes you hungry or cranky or otherwise messes up your diet then don't do it again or at least not often. But if it doesn't affect you and you are still getting in enough water don't sweat it.
Sarya

Postby TheShadow » September 7th, 2006, 8:48 am

I think that there is no problem with an extra diet pepsi or two. I do it all the time. There is less caffeine in DP than in one half cup of plain coffee, and it is very low in sodium, as you found out in your research. We're allowed to have a cup or two of coffee on MF so the caffeine should not be an issue. There are so many rumors about aspartame turning into formaldehyde in your system and all that other bunk that I think some people are just trying to cover their butts by recommending that you cut it out. I am sure that your headaches are caffeine withdrawal, it's a common symptom. So you can deal 2 ways...in a couple days you will be over your withdrawal and the headaches will go away, or you can have your DP and see what happens. It won't affect your weight loss but it might affect your appetite. Personally, I'm giving up so much already on this diet that if I had to give up my DP I'd probably kill someone.

Edited to add....YOU SHOULD NOT BE EXERCISING THAT MUCH until you have been on the diet three weeks.
TheShadow
TheShadow
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Postby Mom2three » September 7th, 2006, 10:30 am

TheShadow wrote: Personally, I'm giving up so much already on this diet that if I had to give up my DP I'd probably kill someone.

That is exactly how I'm feeling right now!! I had a different Advisor last week when I weighed in, so I'm hoping to talk to my normal one tomorrow.... I'm also hoping for more weight loss this week, which will always put me in a better mood! Last week was only 2 pounds, the first week on the "diet" program... which isn't bad, but I lost 3 pounds each week in the two week pre-diet, so it was a little bit of a let down!!

thanks for all the input everyone, I really appreciate it!!

Lynn
Mom2three

Postby LordElgin » September 8th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Have you thought about the diet rite sodas. They don't have any caffeine or sodium.

Lord Elgin
LordElgin

Postby JKSRN » September 9th, 2006, 12:48 pm

Lord Elgin is right, as Diet Rite colas are recommended on other weight loss programs.
As far as caffeine is concerned, it doesn't bother me, doesn't stimulate my appetite, does not effect my sleep pattern, therefore, I drink several cups of coffee each day, basically, as much as I want, and it has had no negative effect on my weight loss. I am careful to limit the amount of half and half and Splenda that I use in the coffee, as well. It is an individual thing.
Joan
JKSRN
Preferred member

Next

Return to Weight Loss