Diabetics, RTDs and Flying

Give us the skinny in the losers lounge.
(Anything off topic)

Diabetics, RTDs and Flying

Postby mellowmom » October 24th, 2006, 1:11 pm

As you may already know, the requirements have loosened regarding liquids/gels you can now take on your carry-ons when flying.

For all the details you can check the TSA site, but I just wanted to pass this info on re. RTD's.

I called TSA because I'm flying to Detroit this Saturday, 10/28. Turns out that you can bring RTDs in your carry-on if you get a note on official hospital stationery from your doctor stating that you are a Type II diabetic and need the liquid meals to help you maintain your blood glucose levels while traveling.

Only other thing you have to do is keep the RTD's separate from the rest of the contents of your carry-on and present both it and the note from your doctor to the TSA worker at Security for approval.

Don't know if it works the same if you're not a diabetic. Maybe if you can get your doctor to write that you are on a "restricted caloriic intake" plan and due to limited food choices at airports and on the plane need to have access to a liquid meal supplement it would also work.

I know it's a bit of a hassle, but for me, at least I'm going to be either at the airport or on the plane over a 10 hour stretch on Saturday, with a very short window of opportunity between flights to make and bolt down a packaged medifast meal. It just is a less stressful situation if I can merely pull out an RTD and drink it on the plane.

Hope this helps anyone planning on air travel in the near future.

Carmel
Shaken AND Stirred
3/24/06
5'8" 334/213/165
Re-started 1/7/09
5'8" 325/165
mellowmom
Preferred Member - #120 Club
Preferred Member - #120 Club

Postby bdg » October 24th, 2006, 5:41 pm

good to know. Last time I traveled, before the restrictions, I took the powdered drinks and the flight attendants were more than happy to pour some water for me in my shaker cup which I then added a shake to and shook it up. The RTDs are certainly easier, but in a situation where someone needs, the powder can be used too.
Start date: April 8, 2006
bdg
Preferred Member - #190 Club
Preferred Member - #190 Club

Postby Nova » October 24th, 2006, 6:52 pm

When I fly, I buy a bottle of water, drink half and pour a shake packet into the bottle and shake it up. Then I just toss the bottle. It's a bit of a pain getting the powder into the bottle without making a mess, but it does make it pretty easy to fly and get your medifast meals in.
244/171

Would you rather eat what you want, or wear what you want?
Nova
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby lauradr » October 25th, 2006, 4:17 am

Carmel, I also called TSA and they said with a doc's note I could take the RTD's in a clear zip bag when i got to the airport they took them away because they are over 3 oz --it held me up about 20 minutes I felt like a medifast smuggler lol----that was on friday---I did bring the powder Shakes,bars,oatmeal and mixed my own--so take back up--what you buy inside the gate--you can take on the plane--I mixed them in a water bottle and at one point bought a cup of hot water from a little coffee place and mixed my oatmeal-----I am or was a borderline diabetic before medifast
I'm not where I wanna be but, thank God I'm not where I use to be!

248/174/150

t: 5'11
lauradr
Preferred Member - 80# Club

Postby Sarya » October 25th, 2006, 7:10 am

I had also emailed them about this issue, and was told that I could bring small amounts of liquid food with a doctor's note, but that I could bring the powdered food and bars without a problem.

I'm traveling again in a month, and I'm just going to bring the powdered mix with my shaker jar and get water on the other side.
Sarya
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Return to What's Shakin'