Getting enough calories...(Diabetics)

Questions/Comments about Diabetes Products.

Postby LilMsTexas » April 20th, 2005, 9:23 am

Ok............I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry for all of the trouble. I do in fact do the 5-1 program because I am both diabetic AND working out moderately. Plus......I did this plan 16 years ago when it was ONLY shakes and let me tell ya people.......good grief that sucked! There were no other medi-meals....only shakes :shock: There are the occasional days that I skip my meal and have 6 meal replacements (I'll be honest about that) but it is the rare occassion, and I am monitoring my blood sugar many, many times a day. I am being monitored by my doctor and he is THRILLED that I am no longer requiring my oral meds. Once I go into maintenance we will of course have to address that again.

Now I understand that TSFL must ONLY endorse the products that are specifically MADE for diabetics...........but I use every single product and there is not one single product that makes my blood sugar go up at all. That is of course MY personal situation and of course no one can "endorse" varying from the "recommended diabetic plan" as Nancy said.........None of us are doctors! But medifast has changed my life. I was going down hill very very fast with my diabetes. I was just on the cuff of going on insulin injections if I didn't do something IMMEDIATELY! So here I am today, 18lbs lighter, no medications, happy and healthy and 33 more lbs to lose that I know I am losing every single hour of every single day thanks to this plan. I just have to work harder on my lean and green because as I said before........I'm not the best eater in the world and this is part of my education and journey to live a healthier life!

I have to learn balance plain and simple. My eating was unbalanced and without my fuel being correct my body was not functioning correctly. It's like the weed eater that requires a gas and oil mixture to function properly. I put that gas and oil mixture in my lawn mower it would be really bad and it wouldn't work and would eventually "die". Again......just like me........I need my fuel mixtures to be balanced and with the correct "ingredients".

I will continue to work on my lean and green. I am getting ALL of my water in every day. I am checking my blood sugar levels about 4 times a day. And I go to my doctor once a month! I even talk to him on the phone if I want to give him an update 8) I am exercising at Curves 3-5 times per week moderately because that makes me feel good about myself and I feel I am toning already.

So do I get the SEAL OF APPROVAL? :D I'm giving it the ole' college try folks! But as always........I am on this forum to learn and to be TAUGHT and I take ALL advice and attempt to learn from it. I am not here for a gold star I'm here to lose weight and I have to be held accountable! Don't hold back on me because I never will with you ;)

Have a great day everybody!!
CHEERS!
Christi
GOD BLESSED TEXAS!
Christi AKA LilMsTexas

5'5", 36 YEARS YOUNG!
186.8/145.2/135
LilMsTexas
Preferred Member - #40 Club

Postby Nancy » April 20th, 2005, 10:29 am

biki and others...

:bow: Thanks for the heads up, Little Darlin’

:shock: Yup, in my :nutz: crazed writing late last night, I :oops: omitted the two punches…s’cuse moi

They are both whey-based and serve as meal replacements.

:secret: IMHO, they don’t seem to stick to the riblets as well as a regular shake.
I slurped ‘em right down and shortly thereafter was watching the clock in :whistle: anticipation of my next feeding.

These are also permitted for people with diabetes:

Tropical Punch (not my fave – maybe ok made like a slushy but a bit too fakey tasting for my buds)
Cranberry Mango (refreshing, I like it on ice.)

BTW, I shall edit the above and staple the two punches into the list.

Thanks for the juicy idea, Dean-oh (AKA Allergy Man :devious: ); :thumbup: kudos for the sweet things you do for moi, Unca and for the :cheers: gentle reminder, biki
Nothing tastes as good as thin feels...
The Formerly FLABulous and Now very Fabulous
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy
Certified Health Advisor - #130 Club

Postby raederle » April 20th, 2005, 10:33 am

Hey Chris! I am no doctor, of course, and well, frankly, I can't think of anything I'm an expert at, but I'll give ya my opinion anyway! :mrgreen:

I think that, if your doctor knows what you're doin', and things are working for you, and you feel great, and you're losing and happy, you gotta be doing somethin' right! Your eating habits are obviously much better now, on MF, than they were before you started, so my feeling is, even if you "screw up" by occasionally missing a lean & green, you're still doing better than you were, and are healthier than you were-- and your doc is monitoring you. As for your lean & green choice, sure there are better options, but lean hamburger is allowed, and tomaters are fine. I'd rather see you eating 6 cups of tomatoes than 2 cups of cake, so give yourself some credit! :mrgreen: Biki's right that you have a whole world of veggies to explore... you should try to add a few, if only so that when you get to maintenance you'll have known foods you know you can eat and like (besides cheeseburgers!).

As for the cheese, well, it obviously isn't gonna kill ya. But the more important point is that you should be using the MF experience to learn how to control foody thoughts and how to break the old habits that got us all into this mess. By fudging on the cheese, you're in a sense giving into those foody thoughts instead of dealing with them and controlling them, even though you've made a sensible substitute by going for ff cheese. Does that make sense? I would never bash you or anyone for feeling the urge to have some seemingly harmless (but non-MF-compliant) foods-- I nibbled my fair share of illegal foods before recommitting and dragging my butt to goal! But I think you'll be better off in the end if you can find it in yourself to conquer those cheeseburger cravings by trying some grilled chicken, a spinach salad, maybe a nice salmon filet with some steamed broccoli sprinkled with salt, pepper, and Butter Buds. I promise-- this stuff *can* taste good! It just might take some time, and some experimentation, just like it did in figuring out how to make luscious MF chili and PB caramel shakes, and MF oatmeal cookies! :mrgreen:
raederle

5'5"
High weight = 180
Reached goal (125) 3/27/05
New goal: 130
I'll reach it again, one day at a time
raederle
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby bikipatra » April 20th, 2005, 10:53 am

Does the fruit punch taste anything like Hawaiian Punch? That's the taste I crave. I hate to think what I was doing to my poor blood sugar guzzling all those bottles of the red stuff. Back when I drank a lot of booze, HP was one of my hangover cures, along with V8 juice! My sister says they now have diet HP, but I haven't seen it in my neck of the woods.
Restart Date: January 1, 2010
12/31/09 226.8
226.8/218/135
bikipatra
Preferred Member - #100 Club
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby Nancy » April 20th, 2005, 12:24 pm

Good one, rae!

biki, yep, the Tropical Punch is a lot like Hawai'ian Punch. It was too sweet for me so I added a squeeze of lime.
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2005, 10:53 pm

if you make the Tropical Punch with diet Sprite, it is deeeeelicious!! Yes, it tastes just like Hawaiian Punch.

Also, I wanted to give an idea for veggies. I steam broccoli, mushrooms, cauliflower and a little onion. you CANNOT, of course put cheese sauce or butter on it, BUT, if you propare the cream of broccoli soup and pour it over the veggies (and count the soup as one meal and veggies as part of the "green") it is sooo good, not dry, very tasty.

Postby Guest » April 24th, 2005, 10:54 pm

that was me, Sue, again, not really a guest!!

Postby Nancy » April 26th, 2005, 12:10 am

Sue ~

Be sure to log on before you write your post and then your name will appear in the author column. ;)
Nancy Pettit
267/130
Nancy

Previous

Return to Diabetes