Deli meats

Add your favorite recipes.

Deli meats

Postby falisamarie » March 12th, 2006, 9:01 am

I know this has been discussed on here before but I was so excited I had to share. While shopping yesterday I went to the deli dept and asked to see the nutritional info on the reduced sodium turkey. I found a few different kinds without skin that were smoked or oven roasted that sounded good and had no sugar in them. I picked two different kinds and had them make me 8 different 7oz packages and brought them home and threw them in the fridge. It is nice to know that all I have to do is grab one of the packages and heat it (or not if I am feeling lazy) throw some veggies or a salad with it and it is a really quick lean and green and yummy too. Just remember if you go the deli route to ask for reduced sodium and read the nutritional info and the ingredients and be careful I almost got some that had been deep fried :whattha:

Lisa :heart:
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie
Preferred Member - #100 Club

Postby THINKTHIN » March 12th, 2006, 10:54 am

Great post! I just got some yesterday! I didn't think to have him cut up 7oz though.. smart idea. Next time I'm going to do that and have him cut it in one thick slice so I can feel that I am eating a steak. I incorporate a lot of beef and I need to go for better choices. Lamb and veal are my favorite!

Happy Losing,
~Tiesha
THINKTHIN
Preferred Member - #10 Club

Postby Arklahoma » March 23rd, 2006, 3:35 am

Fantastic Idea!
Thanks for sharing.
Arklahoma
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Postby ascicles » March 23rd, 2006, 1:17 pm

Can you share the type of turkey you bought? I've never actually heard of reduced sodium turkey (and I don't think I've seen it). Was it a certain brand? I would LOVE to find some deli style, especially if I could cut them in THICK slices and put them on the George Foreman for a moment or two!!
ascicles
Preferred Member - #110 Club

Postby falisamarie » March 23rd, 2006, 2:29 pm

I am not really sure. I went to the Deli section and just asked them to see the nutritional info on some of their reduced sodium turkey. I do know that I bought some cracked pepper turkey that was not classified as reduced sodium but the sodium content in it was not too high.

Lisa
Start date 1/15/06
falisamarie

Postby ascicles » March 25th, 2006, 1:22 pm

HOw much sodium should we be looking for? I've found some turkey that looks good, but it has 17% of the recommended daily value of sodium, and that's per 2oz. That's the best I have been able to find.
Start Date: 3/6/06

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

Postby Mom23 » March 25th, 2006, 2:20 pm

Was it a certain brand?

I believe Dietz and Watson, Hormel, and some of the other major brands make the low sodium turkeys and hams. I usually buy this for my kids' school lunches and have it 'shaved' -- that way you can feel as if you are eating lots and lots of it ... ;)
Bobbi
RE-start date: 10/27/06 (33lbs lost; 12 gained=21 lost on MF prior to re-start)
Mom23
Preferred Member - #30 Club

Lisa,

Postby dede4wd » March 25th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Lisa,
That's a GREAT Idea, I found some good stuff too and I always get it sliced up. If I got a big "hunk" of it, it'd be like a turkey steak!

Thanks!
DeDe
dede4wd
Preferred Member - #50 Club

Postby ascicles » March 26th, 2006, 2:12 pm

I went to the deli today and asked about the low sodium options. She said that the only low sodium version they had was MEsquite Smoked Turkey Breast. Does this sound correct? I've always been under the impression that mesquite isn't a great choice. Sadly, she didn't have anything for me to look at the nutritional information myself.

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

Postby BerkshireGrl » March 26th, 2006, 2:17 pm

ascicles wrote:I went to the deli today and asked about the low sodium options. She said that the only low sodium version they had was MEsquite Smoked Turkey Breast. Does this sound correct? I've always been under the impression that mesquite isn't a great choice. Sadly, she didn't have anything for me to look at the nutritional information myself.

I dunno, I thought mesquite was just a smoky flavoring, not adding any carbs really... depending on the brand, it might have suagr added to the flavoring though. If you know the brand, maybe you can Google the nutritional labeling?

Good luck! :D
BerkshireGrl
Preferred member

Postby ascicles » March 26th, 2006, 2:24 pm

BerkshireGrl wrote:
ascicles wrote:I went to the deli today and asked about the low sodium options. She said that the only low sodium version they had was MEsquite Smoked Turkey Breast. Does this sound correct? I've always been under the impression that mesquite isn't a great choice. Sadly, she didn't have anything for me to look at the nutritional information myself.

I dunno, I thought mesquite was just a smoky flavoring, not adding any carbs really... depending on the brand, it might have suagr added to the flavoring though. If you know the brand, maybe you can Google the nutritional labeling?

Good luck! :D

I tried that. It appears to be the house brand, and I can't find any nutritional information. I bought a little bit of it, so I may add just a piece (surely less than 1 ounce) to an omelet tonight (I'll use a little less egg beaters to account for it).

Hopefully it won't mess me up!

By the way, it has the ingredient list on the back and it shows salt as the third ingredient. Sugar isn't listed at all.

Edit: I ended up returning it and going to another store. I got some low sodium Boars Head (oven roasted) turkey. It seemed like the best option.

390/280/185

- Manly McMuscles
ascicles

Return to Lean Cuisine