Deli Ham Question?

Add your favorite recipes.

Deli Ham Question?

Postby CarmenM » February 28th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Hey Guys, this is probably a silly question but i was wondering if we could have some slices of Deli ham for our lean portion and if so, about how many slices would you say?

Also, i was wondering if it would be to bad to maybe have like one little slice or so as a snack once in a blue? LOL.. just curious..?

Thanks Everyone
~Carmen~

CarmenM
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby DogMa » February 28th, 2006, 10:08 pm

It's pretty salty, but I'm guessing you can find some pretty lean ham. In which case, it'd be 5 ounces, same as beef and other pork. I don't know how many slices that is; it would depend on how thinly it's sliced.

As for a snack, I sure wouldn't. It's not on the program, and it seems like a REALLY slippery slope, just like most snacks that aren't allowed.
Robin

203/130/130
Reached goal in August 2006
Added BodyBugg in May 2009
New ticker: 136.6/123.2/130
DogMa
Preferred Member - 70# Club

Thanks

Postby CarmenM » February 28th, 2006, 10:30 pm

Thanks for the Reply Dogma.. i pretty much knew we couldn't have them for snacks lol.. but thought i'd give it a shot anyway.. hehe But honestly i would really enjoy it if we could have this as part of L&G
~Carmen~

CarmenM
Regular Member - #60 Club

Postby DogMa » February 28th, 2006, 11:45 pm

I doubt it's a problem, if it's lean ham. I wouldn't do it every day, probably.
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Marseilles » March 1st, 2006, 6:16 am

I would agree with Dogma on that one Carmen. I would recommend, though, that you lean towards the packaged deli ham rather than have someone slice it there for you (as you can verify the nutritional content on the back of the package before purchase). I have on occasion bought a 6oz package of deli turkey slices and chopped that along with some fresh veggies and made a cobb salad of sorts. I know there are deli hams available that are 98% fat free so that shouldnt be an issue. Like Robin said, the only other thing that I would take into consideration would be the sodium content so it probably wouldnt be a suitable daily thing.

-M.
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby sidrah » March 1st, 2006, 9:40 pm

I have done it in a chef salad type thing. I am more into sliced turkey or chicken and I only get Boars' Head. They have the nutritional counts right in the deli counter booklet. I get it sliced way thinner than teh deli guys cut it normally and you can also get it shaved. I have actually asked for it on quarter pound bags so you know you have 4 oz. right there without measuring.

Best thing you can do is get a scale. I got one for 4 bucks with a little white square container on it. I measure it and just cover it up with the cover they provide. It's like a little Glad plastic thing, but tougher, harder plastic. ONce you measure you would be surprised how much X ounces is, especially if the meat is cut thin.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » March 1st, 2006, 10:06 pm

Why do you get only 4 ounces, though, Sidrah? Are you combining it with some other protein?
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby sidrah » March 1st, 2006, 11:02 pm

Nah, I just get 4 oz orders cause some of the brain power in the deli counter people's heads has leaked out. If I told them I wanted 6 oz and waited for them to convert it incorectly into decimals I would be there forever. Some can barely figure out what 3/4 of a pound is. I love when you order 1/2 a pound and the scale says .77 and the guy says, "Uh, it's a little over. Is that okay?" Uhhhh, NO. I am a math teacher, so it kills me. And, when I am out of school, I am not in the mood to teach anymore.

I get 4 oz. and have a pack and a half. Then, the remaining half goes with another packet. Sometimes I just get the pound and split it up, when I get home, into little baggies.
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby DogMa » March 2nd, 2006, 12:32 am

Bwah!! If I had been drinking when I read that, I'd have done a spit-take for sure!!! :roflmao: :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
Robin

203/130/130
DogMa

Postby Marseilles » March 2nd, 2006, 6:54 am

Lol! Thats hilarious Sidrah! It drives me crazy as well...or standing there at the checkout line and waiting for some dork to try and properly count out change. Oy Vey!!!!

At any rate...you know, if you were so inclined you could have 3-4 oz of the deli meat and a chopped up boiled egg on your salad...that and some yummah walden farms free dressing or medifast dressing would make a SUPERB cobb salad!! YUMM!

Although Id make sure that if I were doing half egg and half lean meat Id not do it more than once a week!

-M.
:)
Marseilles
Preferred member

Postby sidrah » March 2nd, 2006, 7:39 pm

You know, sometimes you are just in the mood for a salad. I like to combo the egg and turkey or meat. I usually do it with lotsa cucumber (my favorite food ever). I shake it up in a bowl and it is great with cold water to drink.

By the way, am I the only one who intentionally messes with checkout people by giving extra change after they pushed the little $20 button on the machine. There are 4 or 5 of my students who work in Sonic and I stop by to get the Diet Cherry Limeade once in a while. I can see them pushing other people to the window to take the money cause they know I always do it. It sure has gotten them better at counting change, though. It is a running joke with us that anyone with me when I get money out better know how to do change...
sidrah
Preferred member

Postby Loribug » March 3rd, 2006, 12:37 am

sidrah,

I hate to bust your bubble but the cherry part of that diet cherry limeade where I come from is pure sugary syrup! Ask next time you order.
Loribug
Preferred Member - #20 Club

Postby sidrah » March 3rd, 2006, 7:05 pm

Hi,
I have asked...it is not made with any sugar at all. There is a separate syrup they use for the reular cherry cokes or whatever.. They even go so far as asking if you want an added cherry or not, just in case there are any people with diabetes who do not want fruit. It is only 2 carbs for the drink. The girl in there said they were sued so now they ask about the cherries, too and are super careful about SF and regular syrups.
sidrah
Preferred member

Return to Lean Cuisine